Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2017, 04:35 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Using a Tamron Nikon mount 150-600 lens on K-1

I would like to get a super-telephoto for my K-1. I decided to get the Tamron SP 150-600 with a Nikon mount. The lens has decent reviews. It has a problem - it is strictly manual due to the conversion issues (using a fotodiox Nikon->Pentax converter), but it has no aperture control - that is all done by the camera, and since the K-1 cannot do the interface, the aperture cannot be altered. Has anyone done this and successfully figured out how to control the aperture?

You ask why I am doing this? This lens was $800 at B&H, and the closest Pentax mount fully controllable lens is more like $1900. Strictly a cost deal.

12-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 15,206
Hi Paul

I have the Tamron 150-600 in Sony A-mount for use on A and E-mount Sony cameras. It's a great lens.

Two problems that you'll have using it on Pentax...

1) Nikon-to-Pentax adapters necessarily incorporate an optical element to allow correct operation at the required "flange focal distance". The optical elements in these adapters always cause some considerable image degradation - it's a far from ideal setup (some would say it's unacceptable in terms of the effect on IQ)

2) As you've found, there is no way of controlling the aperture electronically using a "dumb" adapter, and this lens has no manual aperture control. Furthermore, there is no Nikon-to-Pentax adapter I'm aware of that incorporates even a rudimentary manual aperture control.

You got a great deal on the lens, but I'm afraid it's of limited use on Pentax cameras (hence why few people, if any, are using the lens in that way). Your best bet would be to pick up a used Nikon DSLR to use with it, or sell the Tamron and buy something else for your Pentax (there is no direct equivalent lens, however)...
12-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 7,385
...or you could look at finding a new old stock, or previously owned Sigma 150-500. Yeah it's a few mms less....but it's quite a good lens. I'/ve been very happy with mine, bought new a few years ago and I'm a pixel peeper.
12-12-2017, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 21,345
or buy a good used Nikon body for that lens?

12-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
Junior Member




Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 37
I have another idea - do you want the zoom, or is 600mm what you are after? You could buy an old manual focus prime, which may actually be better optically.
Alternatively, a used D800 will cost around $1000, so it will come down to the same as buying pentax lens, but you will have two cameras and a lens.
12-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 44,929
I would advise looking for a good used Nikon body. Nikon sells a lot more cameras than Pentax, they have generally introduced new models at a faster pace, and many Nikonians want the latest. Try EBAY, you'll be overwhelmed by the choices in Nikon bodies. I had the original version of the Tammy 150-600, and now use the second version on a Canon body. It's about the best long lens I've ever used.
12-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hampstead, NC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,062
And if you don'tr want used, brand new Nikon D3300s and 3400s are available for under $400, not a full frame but $1200 total vs that $1900.
12-13-2017, 12:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,715
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul4Pentax Quote
I would like to get a super-telephoto for my K-1. I decided to get the Tamron SP 150-600 with a Nikon mount. The lens has decent reviews. It has a problem - it is strictly manual due to the conversion issues (using a fotodiox Nikon->Pentax converter), but it has no aperture control - that is all done by the camera, and since the K-1 cannot do the interface, the aperture cannot be altered. Has anyone done this and successfully figured out how to control the aperture?

You ask why I am doing this? This lens was $800 at B&H, and the closest Pentax mount fully controllable lens is more like $1900. Strictly a cost deal.
1. the mount: no need for any adapter since you can fit F mount into K mount. You just need a ca. 1 mm metal ring and in it a denture for fixing the thing to not fall off easily. This has been done by others before. You need to google this.
2. aperture: the lens is not using an electronic aperture control, so you could just physically fix the lever where you want it (e.g. F8). I have done that years ago with Pentax lenses for wide open test shots on Canon bodies. Easy enough. Most people do not really change aperture on these types of tele lenses regularly, but have a preferred setting.

12-13-2017, 06:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
limestonecowboy's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 146
Get a used Nikon D7100/D7200 - I actually sold my D7100 and Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary to pay for my K-1 then bought a K mount Bigma.

I haven't missed it too much yet.
12-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,980
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
1. the mount: no need for any adapter since you can fit F mount into K mount. You just need a ca. 1 mm metal ring and in it a denture for fixing the thing to not fall off easily. This has been done by others before. You need to google this.
2. aperture: the lens is not using an electronic aperture control, so you could just physically fix the lever where you want it (e.g. F8). I have done that years ago with Pentax lenses for wide open test shots on Canon bodies. Easy enough. Most people do not really change aperture on these types of tele lenses regularly, but have a preferred setting.
I know I can fit Pre-AI lenses on, are the newer lenses lacking the AI tab? I don't have any Nikon lenses newer than the early 1980's.
12-13-2017, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,715
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I know I can fit Pre-AI lenses on, are the newer lenses lacking the AI tab? I don't have any Nikon lenses newer than the early 1980's.
I used the Nikon 14-24/2.8 on a K-5 (just the loose fit version):
12-14-2017, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,715
Just for info:
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, control, dslr, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k1, lens, nikon, pentax k-1, tamron, tamron nikon
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sigma 150-600 5-6.3..... no K mount Venom3300 Pentax News and Rumors 91 11-26-2016 01:58 PM
Simple lens shootout Pentax HD DFA 150-450 vs Canon 100-400 II vs Sigma 150-600 C beholder3 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 46 07-25-2016 12:33 AM
Nikon D7200+ Sigma 150-600 S vs Pentax DFA 150-450 Shanti Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 43 12-13-2015 09:02 AM
TAMRON 150 - 600 f 5-6.3 for K Mount? SFX Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 12-08-2014 12:51 AM
Tamron working on 150-600, too bad not in Pentax mount :( VoiceOfReason Photographic Industry and Professionals 55 08-21-2014 07:51 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:28 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top