Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2017, 04:01 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't see how a lens could suffer from shutter shock. If the the problem is shutter shock then it is the camera. Shutter shock an mirror slap affect the the camera or more specifically the sensor plane. Pentax lenses have no floating elements for ILIS that can get shocked (if that is even a problem in stabilized lenses ).

12-19-2017, 05:46 AM   #47

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Thank you for your answer. Really appreciated.
Sorry, no offence intended; just kidding. Btw, I want/need the K-1 when I'm going to visit Athens and Greece in September.

Greetings

harpoh
12-19-2017, 06:09 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by harpoh Quote
Sorry, no offence intended; just kidding. Btw, I want/need the K-1 when I'm going to visit Athens and Greece in September.

Greetings

harpoh
No problem. I wasn't commenting to offend or attack anyone as well. I just expressed my opinion which might be of some value and maybe not. I understand your concerns anyway.

For your problem I think as others said the 24-70/2.8 might not be a good idea since you will face the same stutter shake, since it comes from the camera.

Anyway in Greece in September even with a slower lens like the 28-105 I don't think you'll ever fall under 1/320 in SS!
12-19-2017, 06:23 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There really must be something with only some cameras. I have had 2 copies of the 28-105 on two different K-1s without any such issues. I usually shoot handheld but I just mounted the K-1 with 28-105 on a small table top tripod and placed it on my end table. i took a series of photos from 60-125 seconds and at various focal lengths. All were sharp. Since there are several people reporting it there must be something in their cameras or perhaps in their set ups that are causing the issue. By the way I always use 2 second delay on a tripod. SR, of course, was turned off automatically by the camera when it sensed the tripod.

12-19-2017, 06:24 AM   #50

Original Poster
In my understanding (if correct) it might help too add some weight to the camera either with a battery grip or a heavier lens. This is what some of the guys here said. On the 24-70 there is no SS problem reported yet afaik.
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Anyway in Greece in September even with a slower lens like the 28-105 I don't think you'll ever fall under 1/320 in SS!
I know, I know there's too much light for most part of the day And then it's hot, very hot!

---------- Post added 12-19-17 at 02:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
must be something in their cameras or perhaps in their set ups that are causing the issue
I'd love to know what that might be.

I just took some pictures which I failed to upload (error 404 page not found). Anyway, in this case I pressed the camera against my bean bag (SR off) 73mm @ f5.6 + 1/125 which normally is a safe bet. It resulted in some blurry images with recognizable ghosting along horizontal edges. So, what?
12-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always carry a bean bag when on tour and I tried it with the 28-105, to no avail.

I have experienced similar results handheld and with tripod/beanbag, SR on/off (handheld only) with 3 lenses. Am I really jumping to conclusions?

Cheers
harpoh
The beanbag idea was to remove doubts over the tripod so if you have tried that you covered it. The opposition to this thread is likely just due to the rarity of the reporting of this problem. The handheld results in particular don't seem consistent with some other people so I would persue the replacement as you plan to do.
12-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On the 24-70 there is no SS problem reported yet afaik
I have the 24-70 and never seen shutter shake either on or off a tripod

12-19-2017, 07:09 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The beanbag idea was to remove doubts over the tripod so if you have tried that you covered it. The opposition to this thread is likely just due to the rarity of the reporting of this problem. The handheld results in particular don't seem consistent with some other people so I would persue the replacement as you plan to do.
Not sure how rare it is, maybe it's my own bias (since I definitely see the issue with my combo), but I see threads about it popping up every few weeks, with multiple users participating.

I'd be very happy if I wasn't affected by it, but unfortunately Pentax (well, Precision Camera) didn't fix it when I sent the camera with the lens in. No idea why it affects some and doesn't seem to affect others.
12-19-2017, 07:47 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I think there can also be other aspects of some seeing the issue, and others not seeing it. Could be also be someones expectations for quality of image, or software used for processing?

When reviewing the images, those that are having an issue, are you guys zooming into the image at 100% or can you just look at it and see issues?

What general iso is being used?

What about aperature? Does it affect this issue?

Just curious because i dont believe i have an issue with mine, but i want to just run it through its paces just to be sure.

12-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
I think there can also be other aspects of some seeing the issue, and others not seeing it. Could be also be someones expectations for quality of image, or software used for processing?

When reviewing the images, those that are having an issue, are you guys zooming into the image at 100% or can you just look at it and see issues?

What general iso is being used?

What about aperature? Does it affect this issue?

Just curious because i dont believe i have an issue with mine, but i want to just run it through its paces just to be sure.
In my experience, the only thing affecting the shutter shock is shutter speed. I do indeed check at 100%, and the effect is not visible at facebook quality web resizes, but you can see it on prints which is a bummer.
12-19-2017, 08:05 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would one of you guys experiencing this problem please post some images showing it?
12-19-2017, 08:11 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No...we must go with the flow. If a user has soft photos from their K-1, it must be shutter shock. There can be no other possibilities.

Steve

(...wipes the kool aid from his beard...)
I had to laugh when @photoptimist suggested upthread the OP hang a weighted bag from the purpose-designed hook under his tripod head.

The OP should borrow a 6x7* for a couple days just to gain an appreciation for today’s technology.

* and a 20 lb. bag of sand.
12-19-2017, 08:33 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
Would one of you guys experiencing this problem please post some images showing it?
If you want, you can go through these files) to save time, you can check any image from 1/30 to 1/200 and compare it to 1/250 or under 1/25. At 100% you'll see that latter are significantly sharper.

Update your browser to use Google Drive - Google Drive Help
12-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I don't see how a lens could suffer from shutter shock. If the the problem is shutter shock then it is the camera. Shutter shock an mirror slap affect the the camera or more specifically the sensor plane. Pentax lenses have no floating elements for ILIS that can get shocked (if that is even a problem in stabilized lenses ).
I tend to agree, but there is a persistent group of users on this site who disagree strongly. Some limit their complaint to the D FA 28-105/3.5-5.6 when used with the K-1. Others say many, though not all, lenses on the K-1 will show shutter shock. A few extend the D FA 28-105 issues to the K-3/K-3II as well as the K-1. I believe the theory is that there is some sort of resonance in the D FA 28-105 that amplifies shutter vibration and/or creates a transient misalignment of the lens elements.

Without camera, lens, and tripod "in-hand", it is difficult to know whether the observed softness is user-error, missed focus, camera motion due to shutter shock, camera motion due to inadequate tripod/head, tripod load balance, defective lens, or defective camera. At least one user has sent their K-1 and D FA 18-105 in for service for this issue with no improvement.

What I have not seen is direct comparison of a "shocked" photo with the same subject using electronic shutter and identical focus.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-19-2017 at 09:40 AM.
12-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I tend to agree, but there is a persistent group of users on this site who disagree strongly. Some limit their complaint to the D FA 28-105/3.5-5.6 when used with the K-1. Others say many, though not all, lenses on the K-1 will show shutter shock. A few extend the D FA 28-105 issues to the K-3/K-3II as well as the K-1. I believe the theory is that there is some sort of resonance in the D FA 28-105 that amplifies shutter vibration and/or creates a transient misalignment of the lens elements.

Without camera, lens, and tripod "in-hand", it is difficult to know whether the observed softness is user-error, missed focus, camera motion due to shutter shock, camera motion due to inadequate tripod/head, tripod load balance, defective lens, or defective camera. At least one user has sent their K-1 and D FA 18-105 in for service for this issue with no improvement.

What I have not seen is direct comparison of a "shocked" photo with the same subject using electronic shutter and identical focus.

Steve
I'll do that once I have some time to spare. I wanted to do a comparison thread where people can share their fill res images to compare with others, maybe it'll help to see what percentage of users experience the issue.