Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scopedude Quote
I think not all K1 users are unlucky, many seem perform well without any noticeable issue
I would say the vast majority perform well. And as another reported getting a different body solved the problem. Your body and those few others reporting this issue seem to have something wrong. If it was getting worse over time as you report perhaps something was not quite tight and getting looser. It would be interesting to see the serial numbers of those bodies with the issue.

After reports of this I have tested my K-1 with 28-105 and am relieved to report I see no problems with my body.

12-28-2017, 10:23 AM   #92

Original Poster
I've been waiting since January (first time I reported this issue)
Has anyone an idea if this "thing" could be fixed through software, ie by making ES available for OV?

I don't enjoy taking shots at arm's length with my K1
It surely is annoying.

so I sold it
Well, I was about to do that same thing. Still not 100% sure if I'll stay by my decision because

1) the shutter shock issue isn't completely gone, I'm on the safe side by 1/200. Then with faster speeds the 28-105 starts being very enjoyable.
2) I find it hard to get my Tamron 70-200 working on the K-1, the AF seems to have a will by its own. MF + LV shows that there isn't any optical flaw with the lens; still needs some research. K-3ii (as said above) very fine even with the new Pentax TC.

On the other hand, I tied myself a bit closer to the Pentax brand. Couldn't resist SRS's XMas special coupon offers.

FA 31, FA77 and DA 150-450 are on their way to Germany. I must be mmmad.

Last edited by harpoh; 12-29-2017 at 03:02 AM.
12-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@scopedude @harpo shoot LV with your left hand under the camera base, fingers and thumb lightly gripping / supporting the lens from below, right hand on the grip naturally, elbows in at your sides for a firm base, and the LCD will naturally be chin-height, 6” extended from your face. You can comfortably look down slightly at the LCD and get very stable hand held shots with lenses up to 200mm.
12-29-2017, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by harpoh Quote
2) I find it hard to get my Tamron 70-200 working on the K-1, the AF seems to have a will by its own.
Which version of the lens do you have? I find this to be very odd - mine works flawlessly on the K-1 and is sharp well beyond by expectations and I shoot more with it than any of the other 7 lenses I own.

12-29-2017, 03:50 AM   #95

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
Which version of the lens do you have?
IRRC there are but two versions. Since I bought the lens this year, it has to be the newer one. Anyway, I don't think the problem is related to the version of this lens. There are so many reports of happy users (like yourself) and some who complain about its performance on the K-1. With MF I can get good results, but this is quite a bit of challenge because of the very short focus throw. I think AF is the culprit, maybe because of a bad contact as the lens has some rotational play when attached to the body. Does the same on the K-3ii, though. I'll do some further testing and if results turn out to be unsatisfactory I will send it in (still under warranty). The good thing is that the service point for Pentax does Tamron, too. If that fails the Pentax 70-200 will replace it.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
shoot LV with your left hand under the camera base, fingers and thumb lightly gripping / supporting the lens from below, right hand on the grip naturally, elbows in at your sides for a firm base, and the LCD will naturally be chin-height, 6” extended from your face. You can comfortably look down slightly at the LCD and get very stable hand held shots with lenses up to 200mm.
Thanks! I'll give it a trial although I hope when being forced into LV that I can use my bean bag instead.
12-29-2017, 08:32 AM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks! I'll give it a trial although I hope when being forced into LV that I can use my bean bag instead.
Either method beats the iPhone landscape grip

12-29-2017, 07:46 PM   #97
Veteran Member

IRRC there are but two versions. Since I bought the lens this year, it has to be the newer one. Anyway, I don't think the problem is related to the version of this lens. There are so many reports of happy users (like yourself) and some who complain about its performance on the K-1. With MF I can get good results, but this is quite a bit of challenge because of the very short focus throw. I think AF is the culprit, maybe because of a bad contact as the lens has some rotational play when attached to the body. Does the same on the K-3ii, though. I'll do some further testing and if results turn out to be unsatisfactory I will send it in (still under warranty). The good thing is that the service point for Pentax does Tamron, too. If that fails the Pentax 70-200 will replace it.
It really is puzzling to me - using BBF with a single focus point mine focuses very fast and accurately. The newest version has a G2 designation and is described in numerous reviews as giving higher image quality than mine, the previous version. If its' IQ is really better than mine that's a really good lens and I hope you can get it to work for you.

I hope your ongoing experiences with the K-1 go more smoothly than up to now. Good luck and happy shooting.

12-30-2017, 05:16 AM   #98

Original Poster
Well, I need to put this into perspective. Yesterday there was some better light with even a little sunshine and the 70-200 worked noticeably better: AF more accurate and images sharper (even @ f2.8 quite usable). I'll still have to check how sharp they are on the edges, but I'll need a proper setup for that.
I must repeat that the 28-105 is really amazing @1/200 and faster as is the cheap DA50 1.8 even wide open.
At the moment I have found some peace of mind regarding my Pentax gear which, hopefully, will not be disturbed when the FA 31, FA77 and the DA 150-450 have arrived from the UK next week. PF has talked me into buying them, you know :-) I'll report back to you.
Thanks again for all your patience and help!
12-30-2017, 07:48 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
It really is puzzling to me - using BBF with a single focus point mine focuses very fast and accurately. The newest version has a G2 designation and is described in numerous reviews as giving higher image quality than mine, the previous version. If its' IQ is really better than mine that's a really good lens and I hope you can get it to work for you.

I hope your ongoing experiences with the K-1 go more smoothly than up to now. Good luck and happy shooting.
I don't think Tamron released the newer 70-200's for k mount, last one being Ld Di Macro one. Starting with VC lenses they've moved away from Pentax.
01-06-2018, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #100
Pentaxian

Squeezing 36MP out of a SLR is not easy. I am quite satisfied with the DFA24-70.
Nikon adressed the general SS issue with D800, offering a fix with the D810. D850 is even more demanding and should not suffer from SS. The K1 follow up needs to address this issue as well. Even the mirrorless Sony cameras had SS problems - it's not only the mirror. It's not only Pentax.
High image resolution - add fast fps rates - are very difficult to accomplish. The exposrure range between 1/30s and 1/200s is essential. Here Pentax should shine w/wo SR.