Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-31-2017, 01:27 AM   #1

RawTherapee and PixelShift

Is anyone using RawTherapee to do their raw processing and if so where do we find the pixel shift settings? I have downloaded and installed it but can't see to find menus to select pixel shift. Any help appreciated.

12-31-2017, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You will find the pixelshift settings in the demosaicing panel. Elsewhere in this forum there were also presets published you can download.
12-31-2017, 01:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
You will find the pixelshift settings in the demosaicing panel. Elsewhere in this forum there were also presets published you can download.
I am a new user, can you advise which panel this is under?

---------- Post added 12-31-17 at 02:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
OK, thanks I have found it. Where would I find the presets?
12-31-2017, 02:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

try this:

The Squirrel Mafia's RawTherapee thread. Now with 50% more excellence & win! - Page 28 - PentaxForums.com

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/...lence-win.html

12-31-2017, 04:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few video tutorials here:
raw therapee pixel shift - YouTube
01-26-2018, 09:28 PM   #6

I tried to process a pixelshift image with RT but it crashed. I got a windows warning saying I was low on memory with about 800MB free and then it crashed a bit later. I have 4GB of memory with windows 10 (I have had memory issues ever since windows 10, but I can usually manage to stitch 15+ images in photoshop). Does RT really need that much memory to deal with PS images or is there something wrong with my machine?
01-27-2018, 06:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

4 gb is pretty low for Win 10. Memory is not expensive these days so you might want to consider increasing your memory. Most of us find that increasing memory is the best way to speed up a computer and smooth out operations. Consider getting at least 8gb. 16gb may be over kill in most cases but perhaps not with something like pixel shift.

01-27-2018, 06:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom G Quote
I tried to process a pixelshift image with RT but it crashed. I got a windows warning saying I was low on memory with about 800MB free and then it crashed a bit later. I have 4GB of memory with windows 10 (I have had memory issues ever since windows 10, but I can usually manage to stitch 15+ images in photoshop). Does RT really need that much memory to deal with PS images or is there something wrong with my machine?
I literally have zero experience with RT on Windows but even on Linux 4Gb sound a bit low. Usually when I use RT I'll switch to a desktop which consumes a bit less memory so as to free up more for RT. (LXDE instead of Plasma).
01-27-2018, 07:01 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rawtherapee works great on my KDE desktop, but I’m running 12 gig of ram. It’s a dual boot system with Win 10 Pro, and it still runs smoother on Linux than Windows. Windows has been notorious for eating memory since XP.
01-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #10

Thanks guys, it is a laptop and maxed out at 4G memory, so I guess this is just an excuse to get a newer machine. If it would just swap with the HDD it wouldn't be too much slower (which happens with stitching massive panos), but Windohs doesn't seem to want to let me do that. I watched the memory when I was doing it again, and it complains there isn't enough with nearly 1GB free, but keeps going until I try to do the pixel shift - then it maxes out and crashes.

The machine is dual boot in linux, so maybe I'll try putting RT on that side of things, or seeing what DCU does.
01-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom G Quote
... I'll try putting RT on that side of things, or seeing what DCU does.
DCU is no match for RT, especially with pixelshift motion detection...
01-28-2018, 04:48 PM   #12

Well, I found a memory leak in Windohs and managed to get RT to process a PS image - I didn't mess with the rest of RT, but it looks like lots of potentially useful stuff there. Still - taking the 16 bit TIFF into PS resulted in a really nice sharp image. - yay, another tool.