Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had the K-1 out for more than an hour in -15. It felt like an ice block when I came in but it still worked. I've had my K-3 out in -30.

01-05-2018, 08:02 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
That was a huge wall of text. Sorry for being idiot but what lens you used with your K-1 when it was used in "bad" conditions? I have failed more than once to keep my camera gear dry. First place to fail is usually the lens mount and with no sealing there (non WR/AW lens) damage will happen sooner or later with any brand. Then there are camera ports which are tricky to seal correctly - it is very easy to misplace the port covers even slightly and there you go - farewell to sealing.

I used my first K-1 in very bad conditions (hard rain and heavy wet snow) on purpose but that did not kill it. A slip on icy rocks and dive into ice cold Baltic Sea was too much though.
I have been using K5 6years with over 100K - snowing, moderate raining and up to -35°C with smc 18-55 (later I bought DA*16-50) with DFA 100mm WR and sigma 70-200/2.8 APO, all lenses are still ok with no problem, as K5.

K1 - heavy snowing, light rain, I guess not less than -10°C with DFA 24-70, DFA 100mm WR when was raining or snowing... sigma 70-200APO couple times when was light snowing. mostly I used DFA24-70. sometiems when was really heawy snowing and I had camera on tripod I coverd it with a plastic bag cover and after shoting when camera was dry and clean and temperature balanced I put the body for overnight or longer into a closed box with Pelican Reusable Silica Gel Hydrosorbent Unit - 40g - 1500Dand couple more smaller bags with silica. K1 is dead after a year and half of using. yes with 112K but K1 is rated for 300K.

I didn't even use always WR lens with my K5 and didn't use silica after shoting at all. camera still working normal as all lenses. I guess I was just unlucky.
01-07-2018, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not a K1 but ive had my k10 and k3 out for hours at a time down to -45 without problems. Usually good about putting them into a bag to warm them up, but not always. Bring a second battery and keep it on an inside layer of clothes to warm up and swap them back and forth as they run down faster in the cold.

Only issue I ever had was with a K-01 after a few hours of icefishing at about -55C. The display on the back of the camera "froze" and wouldnt move from the picture I was previewing. Batter had power but I couldnt change the image on the screen. Even stayed on the picture with the camera turned off. Stuck it in a jacket while it warmed up, turned it on and off and it was back to normal. It still works fine a few years later.
05-09-2018, 02:07 AM - 1 Like   #34
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
In my part of the hemisphere summer is approaching but down under Anthony Powell gives some tips and tricks for shooting in the extreme cold in Antarctica. Watch the video:

05-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #35

On December 29, I spent over 5 hours outside in temperatures no warmer than -28C, taking about 450 shots in that time. My feet and fingers were ice blocks, but my K-50 was a champ. The shutter jammed a few times, but a power cycle took care of the problem, and there have been no subsequent adverse effects.