Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2018, 01:58 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have yet to come across a camera that doubles as a good razor.
And I believe you. Your profile picture is proof enough.

02-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #47
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Sources please. We need to address the source.
Just give us a name. lol
02-12-2018, 08:29 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zazism_rx Quote
Just give us a name. lol
The PROOF the K-1 isn't sharp at all is in THAT Beard !.....one look and its obvious the K-1 is as Dull as a Butter Knife !
Making a mental note here........."K-1 is not good at doing Beards".......
Mine isn't even sharp enough to cut warm Cheese !

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 02-12-2018 at 08:42 PM.
02-25-2018, 05:44 AM   #49

Hi Ernesto.

My experience so far with the K1:

With the default settings and the Pentax/Tamron 24-70 "kit" lens, I saw that this camera tends to overexposure images, the look of the JPGs is very "flat" and the sharpness is certainly missing.

Using a Zeiss T* CPL:
By lowering the EV to -0.3, adjusting the "clarity" to its maximum value (+4), increasing the normal or fine "sharpness" (not the Ex because it generates noise) to its maximum value (+4), setting the "contrast" to 0 and leaving the color "saturation" to 0 in BRIGHT and NATURAL modes and to -1 in LANDSCAPE mode (I do prefer BRIGHT), the images look a bit sharper and much more contrasty and transparent than they appear to be with the default settings. The sharpness/resolution/detail with this kit lens however falls behind other cameras with much less resolution sensor such as the Nikon Coolpix A (I opened a thread about it).

But when you attach to the K1 a quality prime lens like the (manual focusing) Zeiss Distagon, the results become just spectacular. The sharpness beats on your face. With a quality lens, the K1 plays in a different league, believe me. It's a shame paring the K1 (or any other high resolution camera) with lesser quality lens when you can really choose better ones (Zeiss, Pentax Limiteds, micro-adjusted with dock Sigma Art 35, etc) and get the best detail you can from your sensor.

I know that many won't like my comment, but it's what I found after >1,000 test shots with the K1 with the 24-70 kit lens, with the Zeiss Distagon and compared both to a Nikon Coolpix A.

Summarizing: with the default settings and the 24-70 kit lens yes, the JPGs are quite (but QUITE) disappointing. But once you increase the "clarity" setting, the "sharpness" and play with the EV, you'll get an outstanding improvement. The overall sharpness look of the images still look a bit soft or blured compared to other cameras, but when you pair the K1 with a quality prime, my friend this camera literally SHINES.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

02-25-2018, 05:46 AM - 2 Likes   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For what it's worth, Ernesto (the thread opener) has not posted since January 2nd and doesn't seem particularly interested in the thread any more (if he ever was more than trying to stir the pot). Probably time to retire it...