Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-04-2018, 12:10 PM   #1

K1 - anyone more using manual settings with auto-iso.

I have found myself more often than before setting a desired/wanted opening and speed manually with longer lenses and letting auto-iso do the rest.
That is not using the M-setting, that one locks auto-iso. TAv is "M" letting unlocking the use of auto-iso for exposure. (exposure can be corrected with the +/- wheel. or corrected manually setting another speed/opening)

As I'm old - that was out of the question in the old film days.
However rightly used and with the very good sensor in the K1 - I get more keepers.
In a way surprised me....

Anyway - another choice when being out there.
OK - sometimes i find a bit grain - but rather that than no pic.

01-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't own the K-1, but I use TAv on my K-3, K-3II and K-5 more often than not. On my Sony gear, I use "M" mode with Auto ISO, which is the same thing.

I tend to work on the basis that my shutter speed and aperture setting are choices that I want to make for creative reasons. The only way I can get exactly the shot I want is for the ISO setting to be suitable for my chosen shutter speed and aperture, so I'm often happy for the camera to work out that ISO setting automatically. If the result is too grainy, well... it simply wasn't possible for me to get the shot I wanted without using additional equipment
01-04-2018, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
TAv is a very useful mode when using a long lens to capture sports or wildlife. I have one of my USER modes set to use TAv together with continuous shooting/continuous AF
01-04-2018, 04:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Tav as well. Quite useful.

01-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I started using TAv after reading this thread Iso invariance - PentaxForums.com
01-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always use Tav as I find it gives you the best settings for the shot.
01-05-2018, 01:02 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Gutta Perka Quote
I have found myself more often than before setting a desired/wanted opening and speed manually with longer lenses and letting auto-iso do the rest.
That is not using the M-setting, that one locks auto-iso. TAv is "M" letting unlocking the use of auto-iso for exposure. (exposure can be corrected with the +/- wheel. or corrected manually setting another speed/opening)

As I'm old - that was out of the question in the old film days.
However rightly used and with the very good sensor in the K1 - I get more keepers.
In a way surprised me....

Anyway - another choice when being out there.
OK - sometimes i find a bit grain - but rather that than no pic.
I use it particularly for street photo when light condition changes for the worse, like twilight hours or like these winter days in Sweden. f/5.6 and 1/500 and auto iso for example.

02-06-2018, 03:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

TAv is very helpful, I love to use Manual mode but sometimes it's quite hard to get the exposure right, so auto ISO is the key, I choose the shutter speed and aperture : speed >= focal length (in-body shake reduction works great with this speed), aperture = max (i love bokeh and do portrait most of the time ) and let my camera do the calculation with ISO, never have bad exposure again (or at least all can be fixed easily in Lightroom )
Big thumb up for TAv !
02-06-2018, 03:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only problem with TAv in my experience is that you have to assume a standard ISO several stops above 100, or there will be nowhere to go if the light gets brighter - this means that if the light gets duller, you are sacrificing IQ (noise) rather than (usually) DoF. This doesn't much matter with street where a grainy look is traditional, but matters more with wildlife where you ideally want the best possible IQ. Obviously you can keep checking, but the more often you check the closer you get to full manual, and lose the advantage automated changes. For this reason I tend to use Tv more often in practice, and you can decide what program line you follow for Av vs ISO. Which doesn't mean I don't use TAv, just not in all action situations.
02-06-2018, 03:58 AM   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I use TAv a lot when shooting wildlife, especially when light is failing. For normal shooting, though, I tend to use Av mode with manual ISO. Generally the K-1's metering is excellent - and when it's not there is EV comp.