Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2018, 06:16 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
But it tears out the USB-socket of your camera. If there's an defect on the socket, the mainboard has to be replaced. That's not cheap (K-1 II mainboard replacement is >$400).
What good is a USB connector if actually using it bricks your mainboard? I bet the connector is robust.

04-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What good is a USB connector if actually using it bricks your mainboard? I bet the connector is robust.
Yes. People complain endlessly about anything gives them problems but I do not recall hearing anyone complain about a worn out usb port.
04-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I had one loose port on an Casio Exilim Pro EX-P600 severals years ago. Also a loose connection on an LogiLink powerbank.
04-02-2018, 02:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I have lost several products due to a broken micro USB port. One was a $1000 tablet computer (Lenovo - not a cheap make) and it was a common faul on that. It is a real problem. USB connectors, especially micro USB, cannot be easily supported and all the stress is transmitted to the PCB which in modern electronics tends to be thin; not the 1.6mm industrial standard but often something like 0.7mm and that just breaks. I do this in my day job, BTW

It is a pity that in 2018 you still have to plug in a cable or extract an SD card, to get photos off a $2000 camera. It looks to me like a lot of R&D goes into the sensor and the optics, but the rest of the camera is not much more than the hardware and code from some CPU maker's reference design prototyping board That is actually how most products get developed (you re-package the CPU development kit into your product's box) but in the DSLR budget and technology league you would expect a lot more to go into it. Mobile phones run wifi at 5GHz now, and probably achieve something like 50 megabytes/sec; half that on the standard 2.4GHz wifi. There is no reason why Pentax could not do that, other than being lazy and seeing that nobody else has bothered either.

04-16-2018, 01:00 AM   #20
Veteran Member

the wifi software do not have an option to transfer resized file.
It is very slow to trasnfer a full size image everytime, where sometime user think the app get stuck.
04-16-2018, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
the wifi software do not have an option to transfer resized file.
It is very slow to trasnfer a full size image everytime, where sometime user think the app get stuck.
You have to resize in camera and then transfer the file.