Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Days Ago   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-1 & WiFi transfer

I'm a bit behind with the WiFi transfer capabilities. Having looked it appears Image Sync is Android/iOS only.

The reason why I thought about looking at WiFi options is that I'm working on a series of close-up/botanical shots (which will be long term project), and this requires me making many transfers of files from sd to pc, ie making many opening/removing/re-inserting sd card operations. I already have a weak spring in slot 1, and I'm trying to avoid getting into mechanical sd problems further down the line.

I suppose I could use usb transfer, but that entails plugging/unplugging a cable, and much wear and tear on the socket of camera and PC. I guess I could have a 'sacrificial' usb cable in-line between my camera's usb cable and my pc that could take the multiple re-connecting - a bit clunky. Thus I'm thinking WiFi ...

So can I transfer from camera to PC using WiFi ? It seems an obvious use of WiFi and I'm rather surprised that Ricoh have limited Image Sync to mobile apps. Any ideas why ?

Many thanks

3 Days Ago   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
So can I transfer from camera to PC using WiFi ? It seems an obvious use of WiFi and I'm rather surprised that Ricoh have limited Image Sync to mobile apps. Any ideas why ?
No clue why, but there are some community-developed apps (links from the wi-fi page in our K-S2 review, and if you search the forum) that let you transfer using a PC.

However, the wi-fi connection is so slow that I would recommend using a USB cable. Doubt you'll break the ports due to wear and tear as long as you are careful about inserting the cord into the camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

3 Days Ago   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No clue why, but there are some community-developed apps (links from the wi-fi page in our K-S2 review, and if you search the forum) that let you transfer using a PC.

However, the wi-fi connection is so slow that I would recommend using a USB cable. Doubt you'll break the ports due to wear and tear as long as you are careful about inserting the cord into the camera.
Thanks Adam. The slowness would be any issue as I'm using Pixel Shifted RAWs and as I bracket, and then bracket some more, a slow transfer would be a pain. Looks I should look at a USB solution.

I did wear out a pc USB port on my workstation transferring data in the past. I now have a sacrificial short usb cable dangling from the machine that saves the port. I had to swop out the card to fix it - easy on a PC, but less so on a camera.
3 Days Ago   #4

Use a micro SD in an adapter, and only take the micro SD out? The adapter is now the sacrificial part... Might need a bit of tape on the micro SD so you can pull it out.

3 Days Ago   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What about Lightroom Tethered Capture Plug-In combined with Pentax Image Transmitter app for camera control?
3 Days Ago   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Check this out: My Pentax wifi remote software - PentaxForums.com
3 Days Ago   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think this community developed app would help - My Pentax wifi remote software - Page 12 - PentaxForums.com
You need to read the thread a bit, but it looks like a great tether shooting app
3 Days Ago - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
USB is intended to be plugged/unplugged repeatedly and frequently. The male (cable) side is the sacrificial side and should wear out far quicker than the socket. SD slots (particularly press-to-release types with moving parts and springs inside) are far more fragile. Of the two, USB is preferable, which is why the manual suggests this as the primary method for image transfer. Better than both is a USB tethering solution, as this only requires plugging in once per session - very long and flexible cables are available if freedom of movement is necessary.

Wi-Fi is pretty awful in most cases...although the transfer rate is theoretically not bad, the latency involved with setting up each transfer, and the fact the band is so massively overcrowded now, means that real world rates are poor at best.

3 Days Ago   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
USB is intended to be plugged/unplugged repeatedly and frequently. The male (cable) side is the sacrificial side and should wear out far quicker than the socket. SD slots (particularly press-to-release types with moving parts and springs inside) are far more fragile. Of the two, USB is preferable, which is why the manual suggests this as the primary method for image transfer. Better than both is a USB tethering solution, as this only requires plugging in once per session - very long and flexible cables are available if freedom of movement is necessary.

Wi-Fi is pretty awful in most cases...although the transfer rate is theoretically not bad, the latency involved with setting up each transfer, and the fact the band is so massively overcrowded now, means that real world rates are poor at best.
I do like this forum I've been using Pentax kit for a fair few years now, and you know what it's like: you read the manual on one variant and for each new model you skip the bits that are not relevant. Suffice to say I've been using the SD transfer method exclusively and never realised that the USB one was the approved method-in fact it appears to be the only one mentioned. I may have struggled with the rubberised cover in the past and thought, nope, that's not for me. So now I'll use the USB method. I can easily keep a short trailing cable from my camera and only disconnected (physically), when I've finished the session. Feel this is a better method, as I was concerned about the springs ... Thanks, again to all who've made suggestions..
3 Days Ago   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^ Nice Place, isn’t it?
2 Days Ago   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just purchased a 2" (5cm) mini usb/usb keyring/cable - it's a short, stiff, cable. Now I can leave this in situ on camera when shooting. Then after each run, connect it to a long usb cable already attached to PC. At end of session I can unplug keyring cable from camera, thus saving both PC and cameras' usb sockets from many connect/disconnects. Seems to work fine. (I'll check if there are read errors and retries in Windows logs, as cable is long ish. I can shorten it)

Downsides: usb2, is slow compared with usb3 card reader, but my downloads in this usage are short inter-session downloads (albeit they are pixel shifted).
Upsides: It saves wear and tear on the SD mechanism, which long term I'm happier with.

For normal use, ie a day's landscape shooting with many files, I'll use faster usb3 and sd method.

If I were to try and compare the life expectancy of SD mechanism versus the rubberised usb cover, I'd be hard pressed to guess which would fail first. Personally, I find the rubberised cover a fiddle. Why did they not use a less fiddly and robust cover ? Are the rubberised covers easily replaceable ? I suspect not ...