Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2018, 09:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yanked microphone cap

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,
I have no idea how I managed to rip the cap of the microphone connector. I have no use for the microphone itself, but I care to maintain my K-1's waterproof integrity.
Does anyone know where to get this part from, and if it's replaceable even without disassembling the camera (and yes, I realize it is common a part with the headphones cover)?
Thanks!

01-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two things to consider:
  • Ricoh/Pentax limits its parts sales to authorized repair facilities (not the same as authorized warranty repair facilities)
  • There is precious little (almost nothing?) on your camera that is intended to be user-serviceable
If it were me, I would call around to local repair shops and inquire whether they can order parts from Ricoh/Pentax and what it would cost to repair your damaged flap. While Ricoh/Pentax does not provide an official list of authorized shops other than Precision in Connecticut, they do exist. One has to sniff them out.

Steve
01-16-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd also ask Precision directly for a quote, though this may involve sending the camera in.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-16-2018, 01:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the past, I've bought "kits" on ebay which included dust and water resistant caps for all the various ports on laptop computers. Typically needed on dusty or fine sand beaches, etc.
The microphone port would be the same as a K-1 and the kits are very little money. It may not be a perfect replacement, but better than nothing in the meantime.

Here are a couple quick searches. With more looking, you might find something very close.

6.3mm DC Audio Jack Socket Part Red Rubber Waterproof Dustproof Cover 5Pcs | eBay

50pcs Earphone Jack Ear Cap Dock Rubber Anti Dust Plug For Cell Mobile Phone | eBay

Here's a silicon set from Amazon: amazon.com: Cosmos Black silicone anti-dust stopper/plug set: Computers & Accessories?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Or dress up with chrome: https://www.amazon.com/iMangoo-Earphone-Protect-Headphone-Samsung/dp/B073NNC...k+silicon+plug

These may not be exactly what you want - Pentax quality and waterproof, but maybe something along these lines will provide a solution if you can't get a replacement from Pentax. And they're cheap.

01-17-2018, 10:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mirocal Quote
...maintain my K-1's waterproof integrity.
In the meantime stick a bit of Blue Tack or similar over it until it is sorted.
01-18-2018, 09:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks gentlemen, I have ordered a set from ebay as stop gap. �� In the meantime I quickly fashioned a suitable bit out of a larger neopren band (not waterproof for sure), and will have a chat with the local photo repair store (the only one...) here in Seattle and report back.
Reviewing the incident I must say half is a design fault as the flap is very close to the edge and easy to pull off when rubbing against some harder texture, half is mine as it happened during an 8 miles trail run with my K-1 and DFA 28-105/3.5-4.5, mostly hanging in my grip but also brushing a few times against the straps of the running pack. Funny how I took care to lock the dials but never paid any attention to flaps.