Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you are looking for a full frame system, Pentax is not the droid you are looking for.
That very much depends on what the OP wants from the system. Many owners are getting a huge amount of enjoyment and truly excellent results from the K-1 and the available lenses, of which there are enough to deal with most situations more than admirably. More new lenses are needed, I don't disagree... but there's enough to choose from already.

With respect, Bill, Pentax may not be the droid you are looking for, but it seems kind of presumptuous to assume the OP's needs are the same as yours.

The advantage that Nikon and Canon have is that they are actually systems. Pentax is a camera body and a few lenses.
Pentax is a system too, Bill - you just don't seem to like it very much these days, looking at a number of your recent posts. That's a shame, but - might I suggest - easily remedied.

The K-1 is an excellent camera body - if its strengths suit the individual's wants and use cases. And the range of lenses is more than up to handling a wide range of tasks very well indeed. Again, they may not meet the high demands you place on them, but so many of our members are getting outstanding results from both the K-1 and available lenses...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-24-2018 at 01:47 PM.
01-25-2018, 09:06 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If photography is the way you make a living then it is a need, same as a hammer for a carpenter. Even there, few photographers are able to charge thousands of dollars for a photo shoot and are getting by with a couple hundred for a photo shoot or maybe 2000 for a wedding. In that situation, you aren't going to buy top end gear, even if you can put it on "expenses."
OK, that accounts for about 2% of camera users, most of whom would probably be better off working as waiters.

---------- Post added 01-25-18 at 10:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Pentax is a huge systems which allows to use even 645/6x7 lenses on APS-C/35mm bodys.
Number of current available Lenses with AF for 24x36mm image circle is about 100 (including third party models).
How many 6x7 lenses are available new these days?
As an aside, I did own a fairly complete 6x7 system at one time, including the K-mount adapter. Yes it worked, but it wasn't much fun due to the size of the lenses compared to the bodies.
Using third party lenses as an attempt to justify that Pentax has (at the moment) a full system doesn't fly. They aren't Pentax lenses, therefore aren't part of a Pentax system. Third party support can be very capricious, as we found out when most of the third party manufacturers stopped making lenses in Pentax mount for a while. Of course, first party support can also be rather capricious, as we are finding out at the moment.
Also, there is much more to a system than a few lenses. Look at the Canon or Nikon accessory catalogue sometime.

---------- Post added 01-25-18 at 10:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That very much depends on what the OP wants from the system. Many owners are getting a huge amount of enjoyment and truly excellent results from the K-1 and the available lenses, of which there are enough to deal with most situations more than admirably. More new lenses are needed, I don't disagree... but there's enough to choose from already.

With respect, Bill, Pentax may not be the droid you are looking for, but it seems kind of presumptuous to assume the OP's needs are the same as yours.

Pentax is a system too, Bill - you just don't seem to like it very much these days, looking at a number of your recent posts. That's a shame, but - might I suggest - easily remedied.

The K-1 is an excellent camera body - if its strengths suit the individual's wants and use cases. And the range of lenses is more than up to handling a wide range of tasks very well indeed. Again, they may not meet the high demands you place on them, but so many of our members are getting outstanding results from both the K-1 and available lenses...
The OP asked about a "system". If a body and a zoom lens is all you want, then you don't have the need for a system to supply that desire.
As I mentioned in another post, sorry to disappoint you, but with a stable of over 60 Pentax lenses, and a raft of other accessories (purchased when Pentax was a "system"), I'm not going anywhere.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 01-25-2018 at 09:17 AM.
01-25-2018, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #33
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The OP asked about a "system". If a body and a zoom lens is all you want, then you don't have the need for a system to supply that desire.
We don't know if the OP only wants a body and a zoom lens in the long term. If he does, Pentax can deliver that. If he wants that same body and a lens / accessory eco-system, Pentax can deliver that too. It may or may not be suitable for his (or your) photographic wants and needs, but a system it most certainly is...

As I mentioned in another post, sorry to disappoint you, but with a stable of over 60 Pentax lenses, and a raft of other accessories (purchased when Pentax was a "system"), I'm not going anywhere.
And as I replied in that other thread, I'd far rather you stayed, Bill. I just find your frequent negative remarks about the brand you intend to stay with really weird and, with respect, tiring on what is, after all, a Pentax enthusiast's forum. It would be nice if those remarks did something positive to assist the brand, even if only for you own benefit... but they really don't.
01-26-2018, 09:28 PM   #34
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

System, schystem! It's like the "Leica, schmeica" quotation in my signature. Who cares? If the OP or anyone else can get what they want photographically with Pentax cameras and lenses, why should it matter whether Pentax is a "system" or not? I'm getting what I want from the cameras I have; and I don't even have a K-3, let alone a K-1 (that's another story).

Added comment: I've worked with some of the best cameras available at various times in my career (not Hasselblad unfortunately). I'm quite happy to be using Pentax now and feel no need for a "system" camera.

Last edited by cpk; 01-26-2018 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Additional comment
01-26-2018, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to counter the ‘video is bad’ comments that seem to pop up every time Pentax camera is being considered... No it is not bad. On specs it is somewhat behind the the curve but if you know what you are doing and use some form of stabilisation and a good microphone it is perfectly usable in my experience as someone who is payed to shoot video on a daily basis.
01-27-2018, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Just to counter the ‘video is bad’ comments that seem to pop up every time Pentax camera is being considered... No it is not bad. On specs it is somewhat behind the the curve but if you know what you are doing and use some form of stabilisation and a good microphone it is perfectly usable in my experience as someone who is payed to shoot video on a daily basis.
Yes. I have shot my K1 side by side with a 5DmkIV professionally. The end quality of the files was pretty similar---I saw no difference. What was a big difference was using the cameras in the field. The Canon was far superior usage-wise. That said....for video today go with Sony A7RIII or A9 r even Panny.
01-28-2018, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Yes. I have shot my K1 side by side with a 5DmkIV professionally. The end quality of the files was pretty similar---I saw no difference. What was a big difference was using the cameras in the field. The Canon was far superior usage-wise. That said....for video today go with Sony A7RIII or A9 r even Panny.
Yes, you are right! If video is an important objective there are better options around. To give some context to my attempt to evaluate the Pentax video implementation in a way that is a tad more realistic, the reality of my situation is that Pentax DSLR's do provide me with a very important solution. I do radio and tv for a somewhat underfunded, provincial, public broadcasting station as a camjo reporter. I cover a wide range of stories but my speciality is nature and wildlife. Unfortunately the gear my employer supplies me with does not cut it for that particular niche. I use a Sony PMW-100 () and we use iPhones for so called 'Mobile Journalism (Mojo). So reluctantly I have been selectively using my own Pentax gear after investing in a videohead and a good microphone (payed for by doing some extra jobs in my own free time). Investing in a new Sony&Panasonic&Canon system without substantial financial compensation from my employer is not a option since I am very happy with my current gear as a photographer. So I am 'stuck' with Pentax for video! And sure it is probably not the most elegant en feature rich solution but it does get the job done. I had two half hour features on national tv. I used a K-3 for a very substantial part of those video's. My impression is that the low light advantage of the K-1 in stills carries over to video side of things.

02-05-2018, 04:35 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by junlin79 Quote
Hi, just wonder if any one have experience on K1 system compared to Canon or Nikon. I have crop system K5 and DA*16-50 and 50-135/2.8 and quite happy with them. If upgrade to K1, it seems need to have new lenses as well, although K1 can function at crop. K1 costs about $1700, at par with Canon 5D Mark 2 or D6, Nikon D750. Any one has looked into them? What is the advantage of K1 system? Thanks!
I came to the same point you're at with my K3. It came down to lenses available as a jump to FF for me was going to render all but my 100mm 2.8 non FF incompatible (other than crop mode, but K-1 in crop is pointless imo). I also have 16-50 and the 60-250DA* 16-50 SDM died and 60-250 while sharp as heck is a bit slow focus motor wise.

I wanted a 600mm Telephoto and improved AF so went with a D750 and Sigma 100-600. The Sigma has way faster focus motors than the 60-250 coupled with the Multi-CAM 3500FX II AF in the D750 makes for a really nice telephoto action setup. The AF is an updated version of what's used in the D810 and D4/s pro camera. While the 24mp isn't 36 the DR/ISO performance is very close to the Sony sensor in the K-1 over at DXO so quite good. Nikon's got access to really nice first/third party flash for portrait work as well as more third party lens options from Tamron/Sigma/Tokina etc, the G line primes are great and inexpensive as well. D750 is a great all around camera that can tackle anything well. If you're into Landscapes and Astro or Macro the K-1 can't be beat for the price and I'd go that route.

The D-750+ sigma was 3000 for the combo which included the grip frame and Nikon 24-120. For the price of the 150-450 and K-1 I'd have been looking at 3800 dollars. I didn't feel the need for an extra 12mp and for close lens match I would have needed to add the 28-105 which is slower and doesn't cover the range of the Nikon for 500 extra. So the Pentax would have been 1300 dollars more expensive with better landscape capability but less action capability. For that 1300 I can add a nice ultra wide zoom and 85 1.8 making for a nice combination of lenses for the same price. Nikon just seemed the more competitive deal for me personally.

Build wise the D750 is lighter feeling and a bit bigger than my K3 but otherwise feels very well built. It's also weather sealed.

Ultimately it's up to you do determine your needs in a FF system. I'd think of the body after you determine the Lens lineup that meets your needs.
02-10-2018, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #39

I'm using both the Nikon D750 and the Pentax K1.
The D750 bought after years of waiting for a Pentax FF to come along.

For the Nikon system:
- the AA filter makes the jpegs from the D750 less sharp than from the K1
- the autofocus is much more precise
- high ISO performance is superior. You can shoot at ISO 3200 with minimal detail loss
- the availibility of modern optics - I have the 35/1.4G, 58/1.4G, 85/1.4G tripartite - the image quality is sublime and beats the Limiteds by quite a margin

For the Pentax system:
- in good light with a good lens, the image detail is breathtaking! (had amazing shots with the DFA 24-70/2.8)
- in-body image-stabilisation. Whereas on the Nikon I would have to struggle with the 58/1.4G at 1/60s with a 60% keeper rate (i.e. sharp at 100% onscreen), on the K1 I can shoot at 1/20s without issue and get 100% keepers at an equivalent focal length. The flare resistance of the DFA 24-70 and DFA 15-30 is also amazing. For shooting church interiors, it makes a huge difference shooting at 20mm at 1/4 secs. Whereas on the D750, I would strictly need 1/20s to be sure. Hence ISO 200 vs ISO 1000.
- noise creeps in at ISO 800 and becomes an issue at ISO 3200

So, for my shoots on travels, it's the Pentax K1 + DFA 15-30/2.8 + 31/1.8 + 24-70/2.8.
The D750 is collecting dust at present....
02-10-2018, 11:21 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Ultimately it's up to you do determine your needs in a FF system. I'd think of the body after you determine the Lens lineup that meets your needs.
He did give us a clue here....
QuoteQuote:
I have crop system K5 and DA*16-50 and 50-135/2.8 and quite happy with them.

Read more at: Pentax full frame system compared to Canon or Nikon - PentaxForums.com
I mean if you're happy with a 16-50 and 50-135, you'll be happy with a K-1, DFA 24-70 and a DFA 70-200 as long as the size and cost isn't an issue. Paying attention to what the O,P. is asking seems to be a lost art here. It's amazing, people getting into the "full system" thing and feeling an obligation to bring up the whole "less modern glass" thing, even when irrelevant. Kind of like, "it may not be relevant to the O.P but I'm going to bring it up anyway." Why does a lack of SR and Pixel Shift not mean Canons and Nikons aren't complete systems? If a system has everything you want, it's a complete system,. Without SR andPixels shift, I refuse to recognize those systems as "complete." It's all about how you draw your parameters. There simply is no one system that does everything, hence they are all incomplete. Those telling you other systems are more complete are talking nonsense. If they don't have what you want, they aren't complete and it's really easy with SR and Pixel shift to argue, Canon and Nikon don't have what I want. They may be part of what I want, but they aren't complete.

Thanks for your evaluation of the D750 Sofaking, you actually answered the guy's question, unlike the rest of us interlopers. We need two more answers like that for the 5DmkII and 6D and we can go home.

Last edited by normhead; 02-10-2018 at 11:35 AM.
02-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Thanks for your evaluation of the D750 Sofaking, you actually answered the guy's question, unlike the rest of us interlopers. We need two more answers like that for the 5DmkII and 6D and we can go home.
Hi everyone,
I had Canon EOS 5D MKI, 5D MKII, tried 5D MKIII but prefered EOS 6D MKI, the best price quality ratio one Canon produced until now. Then Canon released the EOS 5D MKIV at 4.000 US$... I switched to DSLR Canon because I wanted to keep my Leica-R lenses and no Leica-R 10 has ever been released. At that time, I could swtich very easily from Canon DSLR camera to film Leica R system, thanks to an adapter. But when Pentax K1 came, I took the risk to "Leitax" some of my Leica-R lenses. I do not regret a second because of:
- Pixel Shift mode (used to mainly digitalize film negatives),
- IBIS/Shake Reduction built in camera (very efficient and essential with my "oldies" Leica-R lenses), the only DSLR OVF FF Camera that includes it,
- higher Dynamic range without any digital noise until 800 Iso (unlike Canon EOS DSLR cameras)
- Sony 36Mp sensor but of Pentax style.
To be fair, my way of shooting without autofocus fits very well with Pentax K-1. I frame before I focuse, and Manual Focus makes me sure to focuse where I chose, not where the camera chose. That is the difference. I do not pretend I have 100% of perfect focused shots, but I do not mind, it is my concern...
02-11-2018, 05:17 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
when Pentax K1 came, I took the risk to "Leitax" some of my Leica-R lenses.
Leica glass on a stabilized Sony sensor, that's a cool thing to have, and not everyone has that combination I suppose.
02-11-2018, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Leica glass on a stabilized Sony sensor, that's a cool thing to have, and not everyone has that combination I suppose.
I do not know, but I am very grateful to Pentax for having brought me this K-1. Besides, with K-1 and PS mode, I can digitalize my negatives with a good compromise...

Cambodia, Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8 of 1976 with Leica R6/R8, Tri-X @ ISO400, 2008. dK-1.

Cambodia, Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8 of 1976 with Leica R6/R8, Tri-X @ ISO400, 2008. dK-1.

Last edited by teiki arii; 02-11-2018 at 05:43 AM.
02-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sofaking Quote
I'm using both the Nikon D750 and the Pentax K1.
The D750 bought after years of waiting for a Pentax FF to come along.

For the Nikon system:

- high ISO performance is superior. You can shoot at ISO 3200 with minimal detail loss
I have trouble believing this, if you are saying the D750 is superior to the K1....

QuoteQuote:
- the availibility of modern optics - I have the 35/1.4G, 58/1.4G, 85/1.4G tripartite - the image quality is sublime and beats the Limiteds by quite a margin
another something I'd like to see evidence of....
02-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I have trouble believing this, if you are saying the D750 is superior to the K1....

another something I'd like to see evidence of....
You can see it on DP reviews compare tool. The D750 has less noise especially in JPEG. Same for D750 vs D810. Go look for yourself. It's not a huge difference but it's real.

Bigger pixels and all that.