Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2018, 07:59 PM   #31

Original Poster
I'll be traveling with my wife amd cousin - both of whom benefit from any stellar photos I capture.

Your point is well taken though because the wife nearly divorced me over the two backpacks of camera gear I took to Hawai'i some years back :-)

02-01-2018, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Special Ed:
... I will be taking a trip to Staffa and Lunga to see birds and other sea life ... landscapes, villages and ancient sites in the Highlands and Islands as well ...
Definitely bring the 300mm for wildlife. Your other lenses stop at 100mm. I would add the 28-105 for landscapes. It's a very versatile lens and gives sharp images. Then, since 28mm might not be wide enough for some scenes, the 15mm. Leave the 100mm at home.

Skip the flash. The K-1 is good at high ISO. Flash is annoying to other visitors. Proper flash setup can take time; and difficult to do at public sites.

QuoteOriginally posted by Special Ed Quote
...The 28-105 will be the best general purpose. But when I setup that tripod to capture that incredible landscape or the puffins, I'll swap in the other lenses...
The 28-105 is a very good lens. If you don't need macro or f2.8, image quality holds up well compared to the outstanding DFA 100 macro. IMO every photo trip starts with the 28-105, then supplement with other lenses if you need wider angle, telephoto, or larger aperture.
02-01-2018, 08:17 PM   #33

I went to Scotland last year with my K-50, and took my kit 18-55, a DA 14, a 35 macro, a 77 and a 55-300. It was a lot to carry, and looking back through my shots, I probably didn't need the primes that overlapped with the zoom range.

Now that I have a K-1 and a 28-105 which is plenty sharp, I'm finding even less reason to carry my primes on vacation. I would take that and the ultra wide for those highland landscapes. With the weather sealing, you may not need a plastic cover, but a waterproof bag is always a good idea.
02-01-2018, 10:34 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The DFA 28-105 will be your most used travel lens by far. My FF international travel kit is the 28-105 plus a ultra wide for architecture; in my case the DFA 15-30, but your Irix should fill the bill. Unless you intend to do any macro photography or wildlife, I wouldn't bother with the 100 macro or the 300, if you want to travel light.

02-01-2018, 11:43 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I lugged the following around with me on my first overseas trip with the K-1:
DA10-17, DFA15-30, FA31, DA*55, FA77, DFA100WR, HD55-300 and AF540FGZII
On a couple of occasions I walked over 10 kilometres on warm summer days with it all over my shoulder.

With your kit, the 15, 28-105 and 300 might just do it as a three lens kit. Boom.
I would still want a fast prime somewhere in the bag though
02-02-2018, 01:55 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
On a recent trip to Japan I took the 28-105, m20 and FA31. I thought I would use the 20mm more but hardly used it at all(it's fantastically small though so I din't notice it anyway)The 28-105 was indispensable and the 31 was nice for low light and street shooting but I could have easily gotten by with just the 28-105 with the sr and high iso quality of the k-1 I was able to get shots like this in near darkness:

iso9000, 1/8 sec handheld

I suppose it depends on how much walking/carrying gear you're going to be doing and the photography/vacation balance.
I'm off on a big trip (2 months, NZ, Aus, Thailand, Dubai) and the 28-105 + FA31 is my travel kit (plus a Ricoh GRII). The whole shebang including CP filters and a ND filter fits in one of those quite small Lowepro bags... except for the charger and blower. Travel light and don't kill the back is the plan, plus there's a baby to carry, so the 24-70 stays at home.

I was thinking of leaving the FA31 at home just on account of the extra weight / worry, but it's nice to have a different lens with 1.8 if you want it, 2 months with only one lens might not be enough variation. However in my experience, when you've got these two lenses as an option, the AF of the 28-105 is just so much better than the FA31 (and almost any Pentax lens I've used) that you want to keep the zoom on.
02-02-2018, 03:21 AM   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

what you choose to take when you travel is dependent on so many factors - among them:

1 how much of your kit could you take if you wanted

2 are you transporting your kit from point A to point B where you will be operating almost like your home and safely leave some of your kit or

3 upon arrival at B will you be acting differently than at home, carrying your entire kit as you go out

4 when you go out, are you driving and thus able to operate out of your vehicle or are you leaving the vehicle in an unsafe place and forced to carry your entire kit

5 how far will you be walking

as I say, what you choose to take is dependent on many factors

there is never just one perfect answer

my first time, I hauled stuff I never used but might have

the second time, I used 90 % of what I took

I haul a lot because I am not planning on carrying it all except in transit

once I get to " B " I take the risk of leaving some kit in a safe place and take what I expect to need and use before I return back to the safe place.

and yes, it is all insured

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-02-2018 at 03:29 AM.
02-02-2018, 07:48 AM   #38
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
28-105 + FA31 is my travel kit (plus a Ricoh GRII)
I'd be happy with that as my travel kit for most trips (I never leave the house without my GR). I usually prefer the FA43 over the 31 because it's smaller, though.

Now, if I feel I have room for more lenses I will usually add
1. wide angle
2. tele (if I expect to encounter wildlife)
3. macro (a 100/2.8 will double as a fast short/medium tele as well).
...not necessarily in that order.

I never bring a flash. Mainly because I rarely find I need it, and partly because I'm not competent enough in the use of it to get good images. Getting good results with flash takes some patience and practice.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned tripods? A good tripod can be very useful. It will slow you down, though. And please, don't bother with a cheap one. Get a proper one right from the start, or none at all. It will save you from a lot of frustration - and some money.

I don't bother with a separate insurance. I haven't run through the numbers, but my thinking is that as long as I'm able to cover the loss if anything gets broken or stolen I will be better off in the long run without insurance. So far, so good. (I do however have a general travel insurance.)

02-02-2018, 08:15 AM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Definitely bring the 300mm for wildlife. Your other lenses stop at 100mm. I would add the 28-105 for landscapes. It's a very versatile lens and gives sharp images. Then, since 28mm might not be wide enough for some scenes, the 15mm. Leave the 100mm at home.

Skip the flash. The K-1 is good at high ISO. Flash is annoying to other visitors. Proper flash setup can take time; and difficult to do at public sites.

The 28-105 is a very good lens. If you don't need macro or f2.8, image quality holds up well compared to the outstanding DFA 100 macro. IMO every photo trip starts with the 28-105, then supplement with other lenses if you need wider angle, telephoto, or larger aperture.
The 300 has to go with me. The puffins will be nesting on Lunga and it'll very nearly be time for chicks to hatch. If I left any lens at home, it would be the 100 Macro.

---------- Post added 02-02-18 at 09:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jlev Quote
I went to Scotland last year with my K-50, and took my kit 18-55, a DA 14, a 35 macro, a 77 and a 55-300. It was a lot to carry, and looking back through my shots, I probably didn't need the primes that overlapped with the zoom range.

Now that I have a K-1 and a 28-105 which is plenty sharp, I'm finding even less reason to carry my primes on vacation. I would take that and the ultra wide for those highland landscapes. With the weather sealing, you may not need a plastic cover, but a waterproof bag is always a good idea.
Looks like you had a great trip, Josh. We'll be visiting Loch Ness and Edinburgh on this trip but only because my cousin has never been. I loved both places but my wife and I don't visit the same place twice because we are trying to cover the whole of the UK. In Edinburgh's case, I'm glad we're going back because it's my favorite city in the UK.

I've got the bag covered as of last week. I went without a waterproof bag for years but encountered some rain on the last trip that made me have to tuck my bag under my jacket so figured it was time to invest in something better.

---------- Post added 02-02-18 at 09:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The DFA 28-105 will be your most used travel lens by far. My FF international travel kit is the 28-105 plus a ultra wide for architecture; in my case the DFA 15-30, but your Irix should fill the bill. Unless you intend to do any macro photography or wildlife, I wouldn't bother with the 100 macro or the 300, if you want to travel light.
Paul, thank you. I don't really intend to do any macro so will plan to leave that at home.

---------- Post added 02-02-18 at 09:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
With your kit, the 15, 28-105 and 300 might just do it as a three lens kit. Boom.
I would still want a fast prime somewhere in the bag though
I believe this is going to be my kit. I've got three months to decide on exactly which, but I think I'll add a fast prime for low light.

---------- Post added 02-02-18 at 09:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
I'm off on a big trip (2 months, NZ, Aus, Thailand, Dubai) and the 28-105 + FA31 is my travel kit (plus a Ricoh GRII). The whole shebang including CP filters and a ND filter fits in one of those quite small Lowepro bags... except for the charger and blower. Travel light and don't kill the back is the plan, plus there's a baby to carry, so the 24-70 stays at home.

I was thinking of leaving the FA31 at home just on account of the extra weight / worry, but it's nice to have a different lens with 1.8 if you want it, 2 months with only one lens might not be enough variation. However in my experience, when you've got these two lenses as an option, the AF of the 28-105 is just so much better than the FA31 (and almost any Pentax lens I've used) that you want to keep the zoom on.
Sounds like a great trip! I hope you have an awesome time. If not for wildlife probabilities, I'd surely leave the 300mm home and just go with wide and zoom. Fortunately even with everything currently loaded into the bag, it's still more than manageable from a weight perspective.

---------- Post added 02-02-18 at 09:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
what you choose to take when you travel is dependent on so many factors - among them:

1 how much of your kit could you take if you wanted

2 are you transporting your kit from point A to point B where you will be operating almost like your home and safely leave some of your kit or

3 upon arrival at B will you be acting differently than at home, carrying your entire kit as you go out

4 when you go out, are you driving and thus able to operate out of your vehicle or are you leaving the vehicle in an unsafe place and forced to carry your entire kit

5 how far will you be walking

as I say, what you choose to take is dependent on many factors

there is never just one perfect answer

my first time, I hauled stuff I never used but might have

the second time, I used 90 % of what I took

I haul a lot because I am not planning on carrying it all except in transit

once I get to " B " I take the risk of leaving some kit in a safe place and take what I expect to need and use before I return back to the safe place.

and yes, it is all insured
Logical way to approach this, Allen.

The net is that I'll be in the car most of the time and taking everything with me everywhere I go when not in the car. My bag is still more than manageable with my current setup loaded so it won't be a physical challenge to carry it with me.

On the days I'm going to castles and abbeys, there won't be a need for wildlife shooting so I can leave the 300 at the B&B. So at least I will get a little break from it all

---------- Post added 02-02-18 at 09:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Not sure if anyone has mentioned tripods? A good tripod can be very useful. It will slow you down, though. And please, don't bother with a cheap one. Get a proper one right from the start, or none at all. It will save you from a lot of frustration - and some money.
I have never traveled with a tripod before because I didn't feel like hauling my ancient and heavy (but reliable) Manfrotto tripod w/ pistol grip. However, seeing how many good photos I've lost to shaky hands, I opted to go get a new one right after I got my K-1. I got a Sirui T-024X carbon fiber tripod and K-40X ballhead. I know the ballhead is way more than I need. I really wanted the K-30X or K-20X but my wife insisted I buy the biggest one because she was scared my new K-1 would fall off anything less I have to say that I really do love both tripod and head. They're smooth as silk and very sturdy. I think they'll hold up to the Hebridean winds. The tripod is WR but the head is not so it won't get mounted until the camera does.

---------- Post added 02-02-18 at 09:53 AM ----------

Before I forget my manners, I want to say a sincere Thank you, Gracias, Grazie, Danke, Ta for all of the responses. It was more than I expected but seeing the other threads here, I really should have expected it.

The net of all this is that I'm going to take my 28-105, 15 and 300. The zoom will be my primary and stay mounted except when specifically shooting for wide landscapes or wildlife. I will also likely get a fast prime for shooting indoors in low light...because I am a gear junkie and a camera collector first and foremost so this will scratch an itch even if I don't use it on every trip.

Thanks, y'all!
02-02-2018, 09:06 AM   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Now the important stuff

never been to Scotland yet

[ although through my mother - Mc Crory - I am part of Clan MacQuarrie and I hope to go sometime ]

but I hope you have time to indulge in some Single Malt Scotch Whisky

" Most distilleries have visitor centres which offer behind-the-scenes tours. Experience the sights, sounds and unmistakable aromas of a traditional Scottish distillery and gain a new-found appreciation for the craftsmanship, energy and patience that goes into every drop of this fragrant amber-hued spirit. " - Whisky Tours & Tastings in Scotland | VisitScotland

" Scotland is split into five whisky-producing regions; Campbeltown, Highland, Islay, Lowland and Speyside. Where a whisky is made can have a huge bearing on its flavour, everything from the source of the water to the presence of peat in the local area will come through in the taste. Browse the distillery listings below to find a behind the scenes tour near you. "

Whisky Distilleries in Scotland | VisitScotland
02-02-2018, 09:39 AM   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
never been to Scotland yet

[ although through my mother - Mc Crory - I am part of Clan MacQuarrie and I hope to go sometime ]

but I hope you have time to indulge in some Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Aye...we'll be staying near the Tobermory distillery when we're on Mull. I plan to take a tour and a dram or two
02-02-2018, 10:01 AM   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Special Ed Quote
Aye...we'll be staying near the Tobermory distillery when we're on Mull. I plan to take a tour and a dram or two
Mull

one of the islands where the Clan MacQuarrie was located

Clan MacQuarrie is a Highland Scottish clan, associated with the islands of Ulva, Staffa and the Isle of Mull - MacQuarrie or McQuarrie Clan History: MacQuarrie family information - Scotweb Information Centre
02-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #43

Original Poster
I'll tread carefully on your ancestral lands. It'll be my first trip to that part of Scotland and I couldn't be more excited.

I'm a Clan Beall descendant. My last Scottish born ancestor was born in Largo, Fife. I'll be going through Fife on this journey as well.
02-07-2018, 11:39 PM   #44

Photos: Gallery
I've had the K-1 for well over a year now and have a good array of lenses including the DFA28-105. My camera equipment seldom sees action unless i travel on holiday. The one pre-dominant question I ask myself when deciding on equipment is: do i have time to really shoot? In this, I mean, can I stop, take the time to absorb the environment, decide on the kind of shot i want, and then pick the right focal length. Alternatively, I ask myself: will i have the time to set up a tripod? This will all depend on your itinerary, how hurried you are, how patient/impatient your travelling companions are, etc.

So, for example, when I went on a nice beach holiday, where there was not much to do except to chill, enjoy my wife's company and the scenery, it was mostly primes for me. Carrying an array that included FA20, 31, 43, 77 and DFA50 macro, did not feel a ponderous or limiting (the default lens on the camera was mostly the 43Ltd cos it was a "normal" view). I had time to change lenses and still get the shot. It worked well and it yielded the best IQ i could muster with my limited abilities.

On the other hand, when I have a fast-charging itinerary (which is often) and especially if it involves cities, then a zoom is my preferred weapon of choice. In this case, with the K-1, the DFA28-105 does great, having, to me, no weaknesses within its specs. I supplement the 28-105 with the FA20 though for UWA shots. The 28-105 (to me) would have been almost perfect if it stretched out to 24mm, but it doesn't, so the FA20 will accompany it. The other essential for me is the DFA50. This becomes my "food photography lens" and is impressive in that regard. I carry a tele zoom (could be the F70-210 or DAL55-300) too but i seldom use it.

And i carry a Pentax film cam too cos i love the look of film :-)

Hope my views will help you.
02-10-2018, 06:50 AM   #45
Forum Member

Think of the weather: it may be raining in Scotland, so the 28-105 maybe good because of WR!