Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2018, 12:24 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Tony makes good suggestions but one I heartily endorse

take a back up camera [ even if one isn't a DSLR or SLR ]
I am never without a backup. Usually it's my Nikon AW120 since it's nice and compact. This time I thought I'd go with something a little more robust:

---------- Post added 02-01-18 at 01:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I would never go on a trip without the 28-105. I think you will find it will be more than adequate for most shots and your primes will mostly stay in the bag except for special shots.

Resist the temptation to buy everything you think you need all at once. Your learning curve should dictate purchases, not your want curve. ND grads are useful for landscape photography occasionally. Not something everyone needs. If you are really into seaside sunrise or sunset shots then they are worth it. For casual photography, no. I think they are one of those things that if you really, really need them you know you need them. Otherwise you can do much the same on the computer.
Thank you. Sage advice. I will try to get outside with my K-1 and current lenses and see what I come up with. I am not a sunrise/sunset photographer so that's not an issue. My photography is casual, I suppose, but I do still try to come home with several of those, "Ohhhhhh....I want that on MY wall," photos

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G920T  Photo 
02-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I don't have FF but when i visited Scotland I used my 15, 35 and 70 and my Sigma 70 200. My K5iis was really my backup to a Hasselblad 500 C/M. For my trip this fall I have replaced my 35 with the 21 and 40 but i have now the 18-50 and 50-200 set of WR zooms.

I think you would miss your 28 105 for what you are looking to do. This year I am leaving the Sigma behind as we are going in September and little chance of Puffins.
02-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Hi John, welcome to the forum.

The one lens that I use a lot in my travels is the 28-105. I do bring my entire bag since most my travels are by car in the US. I do have the 70-200 Tamron the FA limited trio a 14mm Samyang and the 100 macro along with a few other lenses. However, what I often face is the practicality of the lens. If I have time which is not always the case, I try one of my primes for slightly better quality images. If I am shooting f5.6 or f8, most lenses are plenty sharp at those apertures. The only exception is when I have to shoot f2 or 2.8 or something wide for a shallow depth of field effect.

Bottom line, zooms are a lot more convenient for travel situations. So it is up to you to bring more or to buy more lenses. At this point in my photography life, if I had to buy more lenses, they would be more zooms than primes as I find them a lot more practical. The good thing is that almost all Pentax zooms, especially the newer and faster zooms are as good as the primes.
Thank you. It's a great forum to be sure. I plan to spend time trying to capture good landscapes on this trip (Scotland is chock full of opportunities) and that's the main reason I bought the Irix 15mm. I believe I'll follow what I've read here and keep my 28-105 on most of the time but if I don't have reason to switch to the 15, 100 and 300, I won't consider it a successful trip. Perhaps I'll forego a 50mm type prime and just use my 28-105 for when I need that range.

---------- Post added 02-01-18 at 01:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmb Quote
I agree with several comments of forum members. The 28-105mm is such a useful zoom for general photography when doing such a trip, and it is quite light. On two recent trips to foreign countries I found it invaluable for general scenery. The primes are great for key shots, and of course your bird photography. Regards, John 8
Thank you, John. I believe I am 100% on board with your statement here.

---------- Post added 02-01-18 at 01:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I can recommend the AF201 for a small flash that fits atop the K-1. Not full functioned, but works for a great number of flash needs and is compact and can be carried in your pocket. For the more demanding, the AF540 as twilhelm suggested.

Take a copy of the manual either hardcopy or pdf. You're bound to run into questions about K-1 operations and you need it when first becoming familiar with the K-1. Internet may not always be at hand.

Take at least one spare battery and a charger. Batteries are to the K-1 what film was to cameras of yesteryear (no offense to film shooters). A battery is always bound to run out just at the wrong time so be ready.

A plastic bag or two. The K-1 is water resistant but not waterproof, so if you visit a place like Niagara Falls or the like, bag it just to be safe. My first case with my K-1 and a big falls was cell phones going down all around me (except the real waterproof ones), and here I was with my new $2k camera - I had a bag.

I think you can forego the NDs - just keep an eye on the histogram and don't clip. The K-1 has a fantastic dynamic range.

I would recommend an ultrawide in your bag. Some scenes just can't be captured with anything less.

Read up on the HDR function of the K-1. For some shots, it works wonders. Don't worry about the HDR image displayed on the LCD, you are capturing individual shots in the DNG file which can be processed later with better HDR software than the K-1 sports.

Extra memory cards and a waterproof wallet for them.

And welcome to the forum!!!
First, thank you for the welcome!

I was digging through a box of camera equipment I had to set aside when I moved here (not enough room to display) and found an old Pentax AF200S flash. Do you think that would work for basic flash needs? I've never done flash photography other than to pop it up on my K20D and let it fire when it thinks it should so I'm a total novice in this area.

My manual will stay in my camera bag at all times except when I'm actively reading it. I really needed it on my last trip and didn't have it so that's great advice.

I bought four batteries for my K-1. I also have the BG-6 grip so always have two on-board, two in the pouch and the AA battery insert in standby. I ran out of battery one day on my first trip to the UK and I've been obsessed about it ever since. I also have one 128GB and two 64GB cards with me at all times now. I am OCD about reviewing the day's images every night whilst sipping on a pint or two in the pub so my cards don't get too overloaded. I know shooting FF RAW in the K-1 is going to test me though.

I will look for a good plastic bag for the camera. Thank you for that advice. I actually wondered if anybody used those and now I know

---------- Post added 02-01-18 at 01:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
On a recent trip to Japan I took the 28-105, m20 and FA31. I thought I would use the 20mm more but hardly used it at all(it's fantastically small though so I din't notice it anyway)The 28-105 was indispensable and the 31 was nice for low light and street shooting but I could have easily gotten by with just the 28-105 with the sr and high iso quality of the k-1 I was able to get shots like this in near darkness:

iso9000, 1/8 sec handheld

I suppose it depends on how much walking/carrying gear you're going to be doing and the photography/vacation balance.
That's impressive! I love the mood it purveys.

I could never get something like that handheld even with SR. The truth is that I shake just a bit much. Maybe if I sipped the pints before taking the photographs instead........

We'll be walking plenty. We'll spend a day on Iona and doing nothing but walking that day. I've also found the places on/near Mull I want to see will require a fair amount of walking. We'll also be walking around Edinburgh and other towns/villages. I hate to say it but this may be more of a learning. For me, photography is my vacation. I tend to take a lot of touristy pictures but I always take time to make photographs at the same time.

---------- Post added 02-01-18 at 01:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
I don't have FF but when i visited Scotland I used my 15, 35 and 70 and my Sigma 70 200. My K5iis was really my backup to a Hasselblad 500 C/M. For my trip this fall I have replaced my 35 with the 21 and 40 but i have now the 18-50 and 50-200 set of WR zooms.

I think you would miss your 28 105 for what you are looking to do. This year I am leaving the Sigma behind as we are going in September and little chance of Puffins.
I will take the zoom. It seems like I'd lose more by leaving it home than taking it with me.

Assuming the weather doesn't mess me over, I plan on getting my puffin time in May. We won't likely be there when the chicks are hatched but there should still be a really large population. Of course Murphy's Law will dredge up rough seas for the whole four days I'm on Mull and I won't be able to get to Lunga. Still, I can hope for the best

---------- Post added 02-01-18 at 01:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
For traveling, I'd certainly take the 28-105 ahead of the 100 Macro. Far more versatile, and almost as good.

And unless you have very specific indoor plans, I probably wouldn't take a flash either. The low-light performance of the K-1 is so good I rarely feel the need for one.
Steve, thank you. If space weren't an issue, would you leave the 100 Macro home altogether? I really bought it for shooting in the spring and summer here at home when the bees and flutterbyes are going bonkers in my wildflower garden. However, I thought maybe there would be some good blooms in Scotland in May. Last time I was there it was October so I don't really know.
02-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Special Ed Quote
. . . Perhaps I'll forego a 50mm type prime and just use my 28-105 for when I need that range.[COLOR="Silver"]

I bought four batteries for my K-1. I also have the BG-6 grip so always have two on-board, two in the pouch and the AA battery insert in standby. I ran out of battery one day on my first trip to the UK and I've been obsessed about it ever since. I also have one 128GB and two 64GB cards with me at all times now. I am OCD about reviewing the day's images every night whilst sipping on a pint or two in the pub so my cards don't get too overloaded. I know shooting FF RAW in the K-1 is going to test me though. . . .

I will look for a good plastic bag for the camera. Thank you for that advice. I actually wondered if anybody used those and now I know

Steve, thank you. If space weren't an issue, would you leave the 100 Macro home altogether? I really bought it for shooting in the spring and summer here at home when the bees and flutterbyes are going bonkers in my wildflower garden. However, I thought maybe there would be some good blooms in Scotland in May. Last time I was there it was October so I don't really know.

personally I like my D FA 100mm macro F2.8

I like the ability to take a macro photo should I want to

lots of options and price levels for the old fashion rain protection for cameras:

camera rain cover - Bing images

one thing you may not have considered what do you have if you cannot use flash indoors ???

how " fast " are your lenses if you have to use something inside without flash what are the F stops 1.8, 2.0, 2.8 or what

02-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #20

Original Poster
personally I like my D FA 100mm macro F2.8

I like the ability to take a macro photo should I want to

lots of options and price levels for the old fashion rain protection for cameras:

camera rain cover - Bing images

one thing you may not have considered what do you have if you cannot use flash indoors ???

how " fast " are your lenses if you have to use something inside without flash what are the F stops 1.8, 2.0, 2.8 or what
You're right...that's something I hadn't considered. I've got 2.4 (Irix 15), 2.8 (100 Macro) and 3.5 (28-105). I've got a massive ISO range on the K-1 but that will only buy me so much.
02-01-2018, 01:57 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
.............I was digging through a box of camera equipment I had to set aside when I moved here (not enough room to display) and found an old Pentax AF200S flash. Do you think that would work for basic flash needs?............
I think your AF200 will work fine. The AF201 adds vertical rotation ability to the head and weather resistance. The former allows bounce flash and make the flash fit your pocket better but that's about it. I like to use the flash for fill on casual close-in portraits where faces are in the shadows, and then there are the occasional dark scenes that can benefit from extra light, but the K-1 has lessened my flash use for the latter since it works great at high ISOs and has shake reduction which gains a couple of extra stops as well. In any case, your AF200 will work with your K-1 without issues.

Last edited by Bob 256; 02-01-2018 at 02:07 PM.
02-01-2018, 02:07 PM   #22

Original Poster
This is good to hear. I'll throw some batteries in it and give it a shot or two. It's nice and grey outside today so inside the house is nice and dark. I appreciate your input, Bob.

02-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Take a really good insurance... you may slip or fall or camera can roll down the hill/mountain, maybe entire camera bag can run away.
02-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
Take a really good insurance... you may slip or fall or camera can roll down the hill/mountain, maybe entire camera bag can run away.
insurance is always a good idea

I use a rider to my home owners insurance to cover my personal articles such as cameras, lenses and other photographic equipment

my home owners and auto gave me some coverage but the personal article rider was best for me

check with your agent and be sure to get detailed responses about issues if the covered item is damaged or lost or stolen out of the country
02-01-2018, 02:21 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote

That's an unsettling thought

---------- Post added 02-01-18 at 03:30 PM ----------

insurance is always a good idea

I use a rider to my home owners insurance to cover my personal articles such as cameras, lenses and other photographic equipment

my home owners and auto gave me some coverage but the personal article rider was best for me

check with your agent and be sure to get detailed responses about issues if the covered item is damaged or lost or stolen out of the country
You guys are serious! I thought you were yanking my chain. Sorry about that RAART.

I'll give them a call and ask about my K-1 and associated lenses but I already spoke to them about insuring my camera collection and they couldn't come close to insuring the value of what I've got. I will ask them for further clarification but as I recall, they didn't have a process for collections like mine.
02-01-2018, 02:35 PM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

That's an unsettling thought

---------- Post added 02-01-18 at 03:30 PM ----------

You guys are serious! I thought you were yanking my chain. Sorry about that RAART.

I'll give them a call and ask about my K-1 and associated lenses but I already spoke to them about insuring my camera collection and they couldn't come close to insuring the value of what I've got. I will ask them for further clarification but as I recall, they didn't have a process for collections like mine.
I use State Farm

my agent has arranged for me to get coverage for replacement value ( since I bargain hunt and have been lucky enough to get good deals ) so long as I provide legit info regarding prices of the equipment from multiple sources

the question is how much coverage can you get for the costs. if they offer too little coverage that is one thing

if they offer replacement value or even a large percentage of replacement cost, well, that is something to think about

IMHO, YMMV
02-01-2018, 02:36 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Way back, I did a bit of touring. ME super, M 28/2.8, M 50/2, M75-150/4. The 28 spent the most time on the camera. I can't imagine leaving the 28-105 home. I would consider it that perfect range that will cover almost all you do. I also agree that the K1 is good enough on low light performance you can leave a flash at home. My film of choice was Kodachrome 64, and I still managed to find a way to lean against a wall or whatever and get some great interior shots hand held. And jealous of your trip. Iona and Mull are special places I love visiting. The ferry from Oban is always fun, assuming you come up from that direction. Of course, it's been over 25 years, so I know things changed. Anyway, I think you have a versatile kit already, and a good range. You almost should succumb to another round of LBA and grab a 60-250 and do the baffle mod - do you have access to a 3D printer? That would be what I'd add if I had the option based on what you describe. Not bad to carry, and that extra reach if you want it. Regardless, have a great trip!

---------- Post added 02-01-18 at 04:40 PM ----------

They ought to be able to do a personal article rider like for jewelry. I found with my company my home owner's covered total loss from things like fire or theft, but if I dropped it down the castle tower, that's on me . Added my camera stuff to a personal article rider, and now I can lean over the parapet and rest easy
02-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #28

Original Poster
I use State Farm

my agent has arranged for me to get coverage for replacement value ( since I bargain hunt and have been lucky enough to get good deals ) so long as I provide legit info regarding prices of the equipment from multiple sources

the question is how much coverage can you get for the costs. if they offer too little coverage that is one thing

if they offer replacement value or even a large percentage of replacement cost, well, that is something to think about

IMHO, YMMV
I have Liberty Mutual through GEICO. I think if I just talk to them about my K-1, K20D and associated gear, I should have no problem getting coverage. My camera collection is more valuable (financially and emotionally) to me than my K-1 so if I had to lose anything, I know what I'd choose. I can buy another K-1 but my original shoe box backed Kodak Brownie is a bit trickier to find.

Anyhoo...I'll talk to them. I might as well get coverage for what I can get covered.

---------- Post added 02-01-18 at 03:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Way back, I did a bit of touring. ME super, M 28/2.8, M 50/2, M75-150/4. The 28 spent the most time on the camera. I can't imagine leaving the 28-105 home. I would consider it that perfect range that will cover almost all you do. I also agree that the K1 is good enough on low light performance you can leave a flash at home. My film of choice was Kodachrome 64, and I still managed to find a way to lean against a wall or whatever and get some great interior shots hand held. And jealous of your trip. Iona and Mull are special places I love visiting. The ferry from Oban is always fun, assuming you come up from that direction. Of course, it's been over 25 years, so I know things changed. Anyway, I think you have a versatile kit already, and a good range. You almost should succumb to another round of LBA and grab a 60-250 and do the baffle mod - do you have access to a 3D printer? That would be what I'd add if I had the option based on what you describe. Not bad to carry, and that extra reach if you want it. Regardless, have a great trip!

They ought to be able to do a personal article rider like for jewelry. I found with my company my home owner's covered total loss from things like fire or theft, but if I dropped it down the castle tower, that's on me . Added my camera stuff to a personal article rider, and now I can lean over the parapet and rest easy
You're right, of course. The 28-105 will be the best general purpose. But when I setup that tripod to capture that incredible landscape or the puffins, I'll swap in the other lenses.

We're taking the Oban ferry to Craignure like you did. I already booked my spot.

I'll succumb to many more rounds of LBA for sure. This is just the beginning I don't have a 3D printer. It's something that may be down the road. Now I spend that 3D printer money on trips to the UK every year (no kids so I don't have to share my toys with anyone but the wife).

I'll see what my insurance company offers. It would be nice to be able to drop my K-1 down the spiral staircase in Conwy Castle and get a new one for "free"
02-01-2018, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll see what my insurance company offers. It would be nice to be able to drop my K-1 down the spiral staircase in Conwy Castle and get a new one for "free"
Now you can't go doing that, because what will you use when you get down to Harlech?

02-01-2018, 07:26 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't leave the 28-105. It's not that big or heavy. It actually weighs less than my FA 100 macro so I'd choose the 28-105 over the 100 macro for weight and versatility. The other consideration is who are you travelling with. In my case zooms are a much better option as it means fewer lens swaps and less foot-tapping from my wife. Be considerate of your travel partners and you'll enjoy the trip more.