Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2018, 12:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Exposure past 30secs but not Bulb

There was a way, it might have been after a firmware update or two, to somehow push past the 30sec exposure limit, but not in Bulb mode. I cannot for the life of me recall this little 'hack'. Can anyone shed some light?

TIA,

Bruce

EDIT: Found it, it's Bulb mode then press the Green Button which default gives you 5mins and go from there.

EDIT EDIT: But then this doesn't give metering does it?

Last edited by BruceBanner; 02-03-2018 at 01:02 AM.
02-03-2018, 01:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
But then this doesn't give metering does it?
Correct, no metering past 30 seconds.

For those who are curious, this feature is supported by the K-70, KP, and K-1 (via firmware), and probably anything newer.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-03-2018, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Live view meters with bulb timer with histogram. It emulates final exposure nicely up to 10 minutes and even after that if there is enough light.
02-03-2018, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Live view meters with bulb timer with histogram. It emulates final exposure nicely up to 10 minutes and even after that if there is enough light.
I think - because it's post-release firmware that this really useful feature isn't trumpeted enough - using live view you can even see through (in reasonable light), and get accurate exposures for. a 10-stop ND filter - I've found that very handy on occasions, not having to compose and meter with the filter off, replace it, then calculate the exposure time then externally time the exposure (using Lee's very useful smartphone app to do this helps a lot, but it's still easier without}.

02-03-2018, 04:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes, thanks to this, K-1 is one of the best if not the best long exposure DSLR there is. KP kind of the same in crop format but its sensor is not as effective for getting useful liveview in very dim light.
02-03-2018, 07:14 PM   #6

Multiple Long Exposures

How do we make a request to Pentax for a firmware update for the K-1 to allow interval shooting with exposure lengths greater than 30 seconds? It seems we can only do long exposures in bulb mode but this doesn't not allow for multiple exposures. No other dslr camera can do this but with the K-1's features it should be possible and be a clear winner in the nightscape - astrophotography sphere.
02-04-2018, 01:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am confused. The K-1 can certainly do interval shooting with exposures longer than 30 seconds. But you are correct that it cannot do multiple exposures in B mode. Interval shooting and Multiple Exposures are separate modes.

02-04-2018, 06:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It does not support longer than 30sec exposures in interval mode.

Interval shooting using longer than 30 seconds would be very welcome. Star trail stacking with 1-2min exposures eat a lot less disk space in total. Also, this reduces microgapping in star movement.

You can however go around this limit with generic interval remote release. Just dial in few minutes and amount of exposures with minimal delay in between.
02-04-2018, 06:38 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't interval shots over long periods be done with one of the relatively inexpensive external timer devices from Neewer and others? https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Q9RERY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_14?tag=pe...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
02-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Can't interval shots over long periods be done with one of the relatively inexpensive external timer devices from Neewer and others? https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Q9RERY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_14?tag=pe...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Yes, and I do it with my K3 and K1. I can also confirm it works well on the 645Z.