Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax buffer help

Hey all,

I need assistance. I'll be at Kennedy Space Center tomorrow for the Falcon Heavy first launch attempt. When I took photos last week of another rocket launch, and did an engagement shoot this weekend (which was my first real time taking lots of burst shots) I noticed that the buffer very quickly filled on the K1, and my camera was basically out of action until it caught up. Unfortunately, for this launch, I really need to have the camera taking as many pics as I can, especially in the first few seconds.

I shoot with dual cards, with the image being written to both cards at the same time for backup purposes. I shoot only Raw (no jpg). I believe I have error detection turned off. Are there any other settings/things I should do to maximize the number of shots i can take before I'm out of gas?

Thanks in advance!

02-05-2018, 10:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by motorhead9999 Quote
I shoot with dual cards, with the image being written to both cards at the same time for backup purposes. I shoot only Raw (no jpg). I believe I have error detection turned off. Are there any other settings/things I should do to maximize the number of shots i can take before I'm out of gas?
The most important thing would be to write to one card only, as other otherwise your writing time / lockout is more than doubled, and you lose about 3 frames of buffer in raw mode. You could also opt for for JPEG for a buffer size close to 100 (80 in backup mode), rather than in the teens.

Or, you can switch to crop mode and stay in raw, in which case your buffer will be close to 50 shots (36 in backup mode).

Personally, I'd either switch to JPEG or shoot crop raws in order to keep the camera responsive. Better to sacrifice a little bit of image quality to capture the right moment

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-06-2018, 12:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Do you need maximum Frame rate? Maybe medium frame-rate will be enough for that purpose.
Do you need autofocus?
If you need maximum speed, focus and switch to manual mode, to increase speed (i think the object will be in infinity)
Think about using jpg in maximum resolution and quality to have more shoots in the buffer, switch all math off, like ca correction, lens correction, ... (this will increase speed)
02-06-2018, 05:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Alright, so I switched to single card use and crop mode, and i think this should work. Bonus of crop is that i should get a bit tighter with my view as well.

Here's hoping!