Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2018, 07:33 AM   #1

Using K lenses with K-1

I have tamron adaptall 2 lenses that work well with my camera but not K lenses (50mm/1.4). Is there a work around for them? Tried turning off SR/ put all the settings on manual didn't help. Focus length input & lens correction are grayed out. Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by funkythiru; 02-11-2018 at 09:10 AM.
02-11-2018, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by funkythiru Quote
I have tamron adaptall 2 lenses that work well with my camera but not K lenses (50mm/1.4). Is there a work around for them? Tried turning of SR/ put all the settings on manual didn't help. Focus length input & lens correction are grayed out. Any suggestions are welcome.
Are you using the Tamron Adapter with A contacts? If so, that’s why your Tamron Adaptall-2’s permit on-body aperture control.

To enable Green Button metering and manual FL input for IBIS when using manual lenses without A contacts you must first set Enable Aperture Ring to Enable in the Menu C >> 4 >> 26 (inexplicably, the default is Disable). Your K lenses will now ‘Work’ in M (manual) Mode with your K-1 (of course you’ll need to set the aperture on the lens). Lens corrections are only available for modern lenses with contacts that communicate with the camera.

This article in the Camera Help Central Forum will help you use manual lenses with your K-1.

Have fun! I use manual lenses constantly with Pentax DSLR’s. Click ‘thirty’s not enough’ in my signature. Under KX | MX | LX, those lenses (and many more) are all used on my K-1 .

Last edited by monochrome; 02-11-2018 at 08:59 AM.
02-11-2018, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What monochrome said. I have a lot of old manual glass, and have used it with all my digital bodies. Once you get your camera set right, you’ll find you have a lot of control with it.

Enjoy!
02-11-2018, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
That worked well. Anytime in Chicago let me know. Thanks.

02-11-2018, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Use the green button stop-down method to get the correct exposure. Only if you are using widest aperture can you also use Av mode (Av will always use the wide open irrespective to where you set the aperture ring).
02-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You’re welcome - and Welcome to PF!
02-18-2018, 11:45 AM - 2 Likes   #7

Also, while in manual, if you use the AF button on the back upper right, with set center focus, you can get focus confirmation in the view as a square, illumination of focus symbol on view bar, and a red flash in the view. Helps for quick shots in manual.

JB