Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When deciding to use 3rd party batteries you should take into consideration the relative cost. For example, I just checked on Amazon for pricing of Pentax OEM and Wasabi D-Li90 batteries. Pentax = $60 Wasabi = $15 So I can buy 4 Wasabi's for the price of one Pentax. In my usage the Wasabi's give me about 80% of the performance of the OEM Pentax battery (your mileage may vary) That makes the Wasabi battery cost about $20 relative to the OEM Pentax. No brainer here, I would rather have 3 Wasabi vs 1 OEM for my $60

Regarding 3rd party claims on power capacity: Many 3rd party battery manufacturers will rate their batteries using an unreasonably low terminal voltage (the lowest battery voltage before there is no more current measured) with a very low current draw. Their numbers may be technically correct but be very overstated for the intended use in our camera.

03-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #17

My favourite brand of batteries are DSTE, I've used them for any brand of camera I own. The capacity is 2800mah (supposedly) but they certainly last longer than the Pentax ones. Cheap too.
03-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
My favourite brand of batteries are DSTE, I've used them for any brand of camera I own. The capacity is 2800mah (supposedly) but they certainly last longer than the Pentax ones. Cheap too.
Interesting! I might have to look in to them.
So far the only battery I have had luck with is the D-LI90 when outside in -10°C hooked to a telescope.
My Wasabi s only lasted for about 20 minutes v.s. D-LI90 more than an hour.
03-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Interesting! I might have to look in to them.
So far the only battery I have had luck with is the D-LI90 when outside in -10°C hooked to a telescope.
My Wasabi s only lasted for about 20 minutes v.s. D-LI90 more than an hour.
Aha! The truth comes out!

If the battery is not good in the cold, that is good to know. Truly though, all one needs to do is to hold the Pentax-brand in one hand and the Wasabi in the other. The weight tells all.

Steve

03-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

+1 ^^^^ what he said ! And Ive used them for 5 years !
03-11-2018, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

I bought a pair of these last year and have to say they are working quite well. Much better than the Wasabi and as good or better than the Pentax.

Also bought 6 of the DSTE NP-F970 clones for my LED light panels. Work great!
03-21-2018, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I've used DSTE along side OEM batteries. They have been pretty good, but not as good as the originals. 6 years on and my K5 battery is still holding its charge. My first 2 DSTE are 5 years old and destined for recycling. I labelled all my batteries - a bit OCD... - so I can know what to expect when I put it in the camera.

03-22-2018, 05:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

The problem is that almost everything on Ebay and Amazon with the word "battery" in it is fake

Even if the advert says "Pentax genuine" or "APC genuine" (for a UPS battery) and is close to the full price, it is likely to be a fake, IME.

The only reliable way to get genuine batteries is to buy them from a Pentax (etc) dealer.

I have used Hahnel and it worked well enough in various Pentax cameras, with about 75% of the capacity of the genuine Pentax one. It failed after about a year but an email to Hahnel produced the offer of a free replacement, which is pretty good. I now use it as a backup (I tend to alternate the two).

I didn't know there was an AA container for the K1 battery. Can anyone recommend one which fits well? The ability to use Eneloops was why I kept the K200 (?) for a long time. This, I find, is not a great operational issue because I can shoot hundreds of pics on a 1 week trip on one battery, usually, and with the 2nd one I have not had a problem. But I do mostly "landscapes" and can easily see somebody running out if they shoot action.
03-22-2018, 05:20 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
The problem is that almost everything on Ebay and Amazon with the word "battery" in it is fake

Even if the advert says "Pentax genuine" or "APC genuine" (for a UPS battery) and is close to the full price, it is likely to be a fake, IME.

The only reliable way to get genuine batteries is to buy them from a Pentax (etc) dealer.

I have used Hahnel and it worked well enough in various Pentax cameras, with about 75% of the capacity of the genuine Pentax one. It failed after about a year but an email to Hahnel produced the offer of a free replacement, which is pretty good. I now use it as a backup (I tend to alternate the two).

I didn't know there was an AA container for the K1 battery. Can anyone recommend one which fits well? The ability to use Eneloops was why I kept the K200 (?) for a long time. This, I find, is not a great operational issue because I can shoot hundreds of pics on a 1 week trip on one battery, usually, and with the 2nd one I have not had a problem. But I do mostly "landscapes" and can easily see somebody running out if they shoot action.
While it is good to be cautious this is way too cynical. I have bought batteries form both sites and they are clearly genuine. They not only look real but perform exactly as the batteries I have receive with my cameras. If there is a detailed study by a qualified researcher which supports your claim please refer to it. There certainly are fakes in all parts of commerce but that does not mean that all vendors are selling fakes.
03-22-2018, 11:00 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote for DSTE here; had them for a couple of years now and still outperforming the Pentax original.
03-22-2018, 05:29 PM   #26

I have been hesitant to try other battery makers (Wasabi) because of what I have read (I like sticking with OEM) but at the same time I trust what people who belong to this forum say, so I will give DSTE a try. I will see how they work when its -10 to -40 or there about next winter.
03-23-2018, 03:22 AM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok guys,
I just got tempted to try Wasabi even though I was somehow skeptical. But my experience shows now that it has been a BAD choice. These batteries just SUCK. I have fully charged and drained them twice both in cold weather and in room temperature under normal usage (shooting street photo and portraits at home). They hold the charge for only 300-400 shoots. Comparing to the OEM batteries it is subzero for me.

BUT I can still use them as backup.

I cannot buy DSTE batteries in Europe and won't be shipped to Europe either. Or at least I cannot find some Internet shops to deliver them to Europe.

Cheers