Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2018, 03:49 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
D-LI90, 2040mAh

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi everone,

I wonder if someone can tell me if this battery can damage my K1?
2x Akku für Pentax D-LI90 | 2040mAh | 60424 | K01 K3 K3II K5 K5II K7 645D 645Z | eBay

It is really cheaper than an original one. Thank you very much

Regards

02-13-2018, 04:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

There are lots of D-Li90 clones around, most much cheaper than the one you link to. I have never heard of damage resulting, though battery life is more an issue with some. Check for example the Wasabi for $14.99 on Amazon. Amazon is selling the genuine Pentax at $48.99; not sure about European prices.
02-13-2018, 04:48 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Blumax batteries seem to get pretty much the same variable reviews as any other non-OEM battery. The capacity is highly unlikely to be as advertised, and the resulting battery life will almost certainly be quite considerably lower than that of a genuine D-Li90. That said, this looks to be one of the better quality off-brand batteries. It should work fine - just be aware of the reduced capacity, and check every now and then to make sure there is no swelling of the battery casing.
02-13-2018, 05:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually just put up a YouTube video where I've tested the life of the genuine battery vs aftermarket battery. I specifically tested the Wasabi brand, and other aftermarket brands will get different results, but it was still an interesting test.

02-13-2018, 06:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Why did you use an external trigger for timelapse, there is one build in in the camera.

When I have to use external trigger I would always prefer an electrical trigger instead of an wireless or infrared, because the camera exactly behaves like triggered by hand.

I'm typical using a Yongnuo RF 603N, this will use the electrical trigger.
02-13-2018, 06:24 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
I actually just put up a YouTube video where I've tested the life of the genuine battery vs aftermarket battery. I specifically tested the Wasabi brand, and other aftermarket brands will get different results, but it was still an interesting test.
Thanks for posting that. As you say, interesting... and I applaud your sacrifice of several thousand shutter actuations for the test!!
02-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I agree with what others have said. Third party battery packs are kind of a crap shoot and more often than not, you get what you pay for—maybe. I've pretty much given up on using D-Li90 battery packs in my K30 and just use Eneloop AA rechargeables as its primary power source. They provide much superior performance at a lower cost. Buying a third-party AA battery adapter for that camera was the best $3 I ever spent on eBay.

02-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
Why did you use an external trigger for timelapse, there is one build in in the camera.
Mainly because I have tried using the built in one and have got mixed results. The external (at least for me), seems to work more reliably. The built in one seemed to sometimes not fire and a frame would be missed.
02-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The capacity is highly unlikely to be as advertised, and the resulting battery life will almost certainly be quite considerably lower than that of a genuine D-Li90.
What he said ^^^

I use two Wasabi in rotation with a Pentax D-Li90 with my K-3 and with my use patterns, all three work well. That being said, I have noticed that the Wasabi have lower capacity, especially if I am doing a lot of live view or video work. My original pair of Wasabi from when I bought the K-3 (2014) sort of petered out and were replaced this last summer. I am still using my original Pentax battery.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-13-2018 at 12:35 PM.
02-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #10

I have exactly the same ones for my K1 and they work great so far. (I use them in rotation with the original one and did two charges so far.) Did not do any test here or counted any photos but they feel like the original one powerwise.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Martin
02-14-2018, 12:13 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much everyone for your enriching answers. I have always used my genuine Pentax batteries i rotation. I've got two of them, one from an old K5, I bought in 2012 and one that came with my K1. Both of them keeps the charge pretty long. Thought I have not made any documented tests on how many shots they can stand for.

I want to thank "eccs19" for his video. It just confirm my doubt about generic batteris. Even though Pentax's genuine battery cost significantly much more but now I think they are the right ones for me.

Once again thank you very much for all your input.

Cheers everyone and have a nice day.

Hamid
02-14-2018, 05:04 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidamin Quote
I want to thank "eccs19" for his video. It just confirm my doubt about generic batteris. Even though Pentax's genuine battery cost significantly much more but now I think they are the right ones for me.
Glad you found it useful, and as I noted in the video, just because one brand didn't work well doesn't mean others won't. Mostly do your research.
02-14-2018, 09:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

All clone batteries with more capacity than the original one are usually lacking in terms of actual performance. D-LI90 is VERY pricey here in Finland, almost 100 euros a piece and Hähnel-branded are going for ~40-50 euros. Those have 1560mAh printed on their backside and it seems to be quite accurate.
02-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Hähnel-branded are going for ~40-50 euros. Those have 1560mAh printed on their backside and it seems to be quite accurate.
I have heard reports regarding the Hähnel batteries. Unfortunately, they are not readily available here in the U.S.

Steve
02-20-2018, 06:08 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found Wasabi`s (purchased in December 2017) to under perform to the point that buying couple Pentax original D-Li90 batteries was a must.
Luckily it was a cheap lesson to learn. Sticking to OEM`s.