Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2018, 01:13 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by motorhead9999 Quote
At this point, I'm far more invested in Pentax gear than I ever was when I was with Canon. I'd love to simply keep my lenses and change the body out with a new model every 4 years or so. I just don't get that comfort level with Pentax though. And while it's still an unconfirmed rumor, the rumored K1v2 leaked specs are not reassuring at all in terms of the roadmap this company seems to have. I listed a lot to like about the camera and the system earlier. As much as I do though, for all intents and purposes, Nikon and Canon are equally good systems. Each have their pros and cons of course, but still, at least those two you can certainly see lasting well into the future. If I can get more or less the same quality shots out of a D850 as my K1, but get into a much more stable and widely available ecosystem (not to mention still getting good value on my current gear) that I don't have to constantly fear is going to abandon me, then why not do it now rather than later?
then why not do it now rather than later?
Why not do it now rather than later? Because gear costs money and every year new better gear is released and at any point in time, usually only one brand is the best. For instance, D850 is the king, but Canon will respond, and this year or next year, the D850 will eventually not be the best camera anymore. Camera equipment is for taking photos, the money should be spent for this purpose (taking photos). Any other money spent for whatever other reason is money wasted when buying into the dire of the marketing mermaid. I'm so sad to see folks going Sony or Fuji because they are sensitive to propaganda, I see them as weak personalities.

02-18-2018, 03:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

"The lens selection: Here's the other edge of that blade I promised. Yes, I have 4 glorious modern lenses from the 15-450 range to choose from from Pentax. But beyond that, there's not a lot out there. Yes, I understand I have the entire 30 years or so of Pentax legacy lenses to choose from, but honestly, that's not always for everyone. Whether it be because of issues with some of those legacy lenses on the K1,or that I/we like having the latest and greatest technology, or the fact that I don't want to have to deal with garage sales, or ebay to try out some really old lens, beyond those 4 lenses, there's not a lot out there for the K1. entire 30 years or so of Pentax legacy lenses to choose from, but honestly, that's not always for everyone. Whether it be because of issues with some of those legacy lenses on the K1,or that I/we like having the latest and greatest technology, or the fact that I don't want to have to deal with garage sales, or ebay to try out some really old lens, beyond those 4 lenses, there's not a lot out there for the K1."[/quote]

I agree with much of what you wrote but not with this statement. I don't know how old a lens has to be to be called a legacy lens but their are many excellent lenses available besides the 4 you mention, including the FA limiteds and most any of the * lenses with the K mount. And you don't have to troll garage sales to find them - the legendary 3 Amigos are still being manufactured for example and widely available in the retail market. IMO, the concept that lenses designed and made for digital cameras are automatically superior to ones made for film cameras is greatly overrated. If a lens is superb for use with film it will be also on a digital camera, again just my opinion. You stated Rokinon has only small numbers of models for Pentax. As best I recall from recently looking at the Samyang/Rokinon lineup, all of their extensive manual lens line are available in the K mount. Their AF lineup is tiny in all mounts. Also some DA lenses are compatible with the K-1. Somewhere on this forum is a list of the ones that are. Three examples are the excellent DA* 200, 300, and 560. Finally, as other's have mentioned new Pentax FF lenses are on the horizon.

I would suggest you go through the "Pentax Lens and Accessory Review Databases" on this website and see what's actually available.

Ricoh is a relatively large company and seems unlikely to go out of business. The same rumors have been circulating about Nikon recently. Some "sources" enjoy propagating sensational headlines. Are we to believe Canon will eventually be the only dslr manufacturer?

You comment on the superb IQ of the K-1 and for me that makes it all worthwhile. I use it for landscapes, have had no difficulty finding good lenses, and doubt there is a better landscape dslr out there, even the D850. And you are absolutely correct in the list of other positive features about this camera, of which there are many. For me it's a no brainer - its a keeper.

Last edited by wanderer2; 02-18-2018 at 03:43 AM.
02-18-2018, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which goes to show that if you're honest, open, truthful and non-antagonistic on PF you'll be treated with the respect you deserve and be replied to in kind - witn oceans of knowledge, technical expertise and user experience thrown in - which is (I hope) not totally unique to PF, but certainly a less known side benefit of being a Pentaxian
02-18-2018, 04:21 AM   #19

I second pretty much all the replies, I use a K1 for fast jet photography and whilst you'll hear the Canikons machine gunning every jet that passes, getting probably 100 images in a matter of 15 seconds, I'll pick my moment, and have the spare time to edit a few rather than delete 90 !!.

The camera is capable of fast sports shots, you just have to be a bit more up with the technique than most, Back Button Focussing is your friend, check it out

02-18-2018, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Obviously screw driven lenses feel like a step backwards for people from other systems, but the quality of images you get out of the FA limiteds is superb. If your prepared to wait for the new DFA* lenses then expect to be blown away as they will be better again! The combination of fast primes and IBIS is a ton of fun.
I second this and to add to it, the feeling I get using the K1 and a 77 Limited vs using the Sigma 85 is significant. They are both capable of giving me great images though with a difference in character. But the weight and size difference is a very big deal for me. When it comes to packing my camera bag, I can easily take the FA43 and FA77 with less weight and mass than the Sigma 85. In fact, I bet adding the FA28 would still be lighter and smaller...

These extra options in focal length allows me to adapt to conditions easier and make shooting just a little less tiring and a little more enjoyable.

And while it's true some of these lenses have been around since the film era, their excellence still proves more than relevant on the K1 - I find them inspiring and liberating in their build, their quality, and in their size and weight. The philosophy behind the Limiteds is much different than the lenses you currently own and of Canon L lenses - but just as the K1 is solid, compact and gives satisfaction in its subjective qualities, so too are the Limiteds.

I am looking forward to new lenses for the K1 of course, and I hope to see them soon with excellent image quality, weather seals, fast/ silent focusing and affordable pricing. But I have a feeling that these new lenses will adopt the Sigma Art or Canon L lens philosophies which will leave me keeping a place in my bag for the Limiteds.
02-18-2018, 04:49 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting reading, motorhead9999. What makes me a little confused... You invested quite a lot into the Pentax system. New camera, new set of brand new, expensive lenses. Didn't you check before your purchase the Pentax status and situation? I mean Pentax is minority brand and that's probably not gonna change. (That being said I have to append that right now (since Ricoh came in) we can be slightly more optimistic as Pentax entered an upgoing period for sure.)

Concerning lenses. I understand that your wish is to have always the latest and "state of the art" gear. Some further FF lenses are announced and I believe that even more will follow within 2-3 years. The real Pentax advantage is backwards compatibility and there is a really long list of interesting lenses. If you haven't played with manual lenses so far, give it a try (just check the Lens database). There might be lot of fun and there are some real gems between these old lenses, which can still bring surprisingly good results.

The biggest gap which I see at the moment is lack of fast long telephoto lenses (either Pentax or 3rd party). Sigma discontinued both 300mm f/2.8 and 500mm f/4.5, so at the moment DA560 is the only possibility (and yet not optimal due to it's odd ergonomy).
02-18-2018, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I bought the K5 because it was the best value for dollar at the time. I wore out a K3 shooting outdoors. The K1 for value is ridiculously good, and I shoot wildlife.

And I hear all the complaints from friends who have other manufacturers. We get shots and we miss some.

In four years I will wager there will be a very nice Pentax body to purchase. You sound like the type of customer Ricoh is happy to have. You will buy the nice lenses they bring out, and in a few years another body.

02-18-2018, 06:43 AM - 3 Likes   #23

Pentax user since film days

I enjoyed your comments and your thought process of your cameras and experience, thank you.

The Pentax feel and operation have always suited my photography needs. I justified buying the 6Mpixel *istD in 2003 as an upgrade to my ME Super because I no longer had to buy and develop film anymore. So my cameras have always been simple to operate.

I owned the Nikon full frame 750 and 800, a number of wonderful Nikon lenses, only to find they were more complex to operate than I had the patience to deal with, so back to Pentax. Currently I am use the 645Z, K-1, K-3, Leica M10, and Sony 6500; all of these with their relatively straightforward controls and operating features suit me.

After all of this, the point is, my style of photography has never been limited by the camera, only by my ability to capture a good image. While I chase sensor technology, like I selected film to match my image tastes, I like to stay in a camera brand as long as I am not challenged (stressed) by using it.

A Pentax camera been with me for 40 years, since I was in my twenties and had a k1000. I plan to continue to improve my photography and capture images with cameras that still out perform my abilities, regardless of the longevity of the Pentax brand.

One final point, I own a photography gallery and lab. The photographers with the best/most competent showing in the galleries never talk about their cameras or lenses, only about their images and their projects.
02-18-2018, 06:57 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really appreciate the thoughtful tone of your post. I must admit I have never really transitioned from Canon, or Nikon to Pentax but continue to shoot with all three. I have followed this pattern since the early 1970s. My job requires full familiarity with the Nikon system. I use Nikon for event photography and have two recent Nikon bodies. Hard to beat Nikon for wedding and event photography. I use Canon for shooting horse shows because of the autofocus and frame-rate. My "hobby" system is Pentax, where I feel the best "bang for buck" is for landscape and travel photography. My Pentax gear is paid for out of pocket and I am drawn to their selection of unique lenses. I also shot Olympus briefly and that system has its virtues. As others here have stated, I would just enjoy the gear at your disposal and shoot away. I certainly believe that the biggest limitation in my personal photographic journey is me.

Last edited by Pentax Syntax; 02-18-2018 at 07:20 AM. Reason: grammar
02-18-2018, 07:02 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fitz Quote
The photographers with the best/most competent showing in the galleries never talk about their cameras or lenses, only about their images and their projects.
That is a universal truth.

On the other side of the spectrum: the most incompetent ones don't only talk (= 1:1) about their personal deficiencies, they advertise them globally (internet) by whining and whining.
02-18-2018, 08:26 AM   #26
Pentaxian

there is no available L-bracket available for the K1 with battery grip. I can (and did) get one for the base K1 from RRS (which I'm extremely happy with!) and some others, but not with the battery grip.
Thanks for the thoughtful post.

If you were looking for an L-bracket to work with the grip,
it should be easy to custom-make one.

If you or your friends are not skilled in that direction,
there are companies like SRB Griturn who can make one for you.
02-18-2018, 08:31 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
I don't want to have to deal with garage sales, or ebay to try out some really old lens, beyond those 4 lenses, there's not a lot out there for the K1.
Do you know that a few photographers have rated the 31 ltd. as one of the top 3 lenses ever, or that the 77 ltd is probably one of the best portrait lenses on any platform?

Those lenses are still available new, no need for eBay or garage sales. It all depends on what you are interested in of course, but there are many older lenses with unique rendering characteristics, worth giving a try, if you're interested. It's pretty rare to find a long term Pentax shooter who doesn't have at least some interest in older glass. IN my pack I have the completely moderns DA*60-250 with it's edge to edge sharpness and relatively low (for a zoom) CA and fringing. But I also have the DA*200 and DFA 100 macro, both modern adaptations of older designs that are easily up to snuff in terms of what's been released with modern glass.

But my guess is, without an interest in older glass, it's going to be really hard to maintain an interest in Pentax, and it's relatively slow lens releases.
02-18-2018, 08:43 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If Ricoh shut the Pentax door, I'd be able to buy used K1's for $100 for the rest of my life...that could work! In fact, my basement would end up looking like that shot from the Olympics with all those "other brand" bodies and lenses lined up on the shelves...FA* lenses for $50 and K1's 3 for $100. The worst case scenario isn't that bad for a Pentax fanboy like me. The concept of "digital lenses" is almost 100% marketing mumbo jumbo and irrelevant to me...
02-18-2018, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

I like folks saying that they have Pentax lenses to cover from 15mm to 450mm but the drawback is availability of lenses. Gosh, if you've got the 4 DFA zooms, I don't know what else you need to take good photographs. Looks like the concerns are happening in the mind of the photographer rather than real.
02-18-2018, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #30
Forum Member

I liked your narrative and would agree with pretty much everything you have said. I am in the lucky position of having a few Pentax bodies and lots of lenses. I rate myself as an enthusiastic amateur and have actually sold a few prints. However my most enjoyable time is actually getting out and taking photos, for example I put the 31 LTD on my K1 one autumn evening and strolled out by the river, I just had the most wonderful time, and I really believe that looking through the lens and taking photos makes one appreciate the detail i.e. being able to just frame and examine a small area.

I'm not worried about what might happen to Pentax, yes I have a load of stuff but I'm not going to get rid of it just because I get so much joy out of using the equipment and my two K3 bodies still work absolutely perfectly and the 150 to 450 is great on them.

Tim