Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems like a balanced review and thoughts, not much to add. I was in a similar dilemma, I've switched to Pentax from Olympus with the release of K-1. I'm kind of hopeful about Pentax future, seems there are still lenses and bodies in the pipeline, and while releases aren't as frequent as other brands, I don't really mind anyway because I wouldn't be able to keep up with a faster release schedule anyway financially k-1 certainly added to brand recognition, hopefully the new 50 1.4 would be stellar and get good reviews as well, which would help in the long run. Most important though - camera does what I want it to do, and I've built my lens collection to the point where I don't feel I'm unable to do any landscape work which is my main interest. Few more specialized lenses (that are easily available for the system), I'll be all set in that department

02-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
If Ricoh shut the Pentax door, I'd be able to buy used K1's for $100 for the rest of my life...that could work! In fact, my basement would end up looking like that shot from the Olympics with all those "other brand" bodies and lenses lined up on the shelves...FA* lenses for $50 and K1's 3 for $100. The worst case scenario isn't that bad for a Pentax fanboy like me. The concept of "digital lenses" is almost 100% marketing mumbo jumbo and irrelevant to me...
If and when that ever happens (if Ricoh no longer makes Pentax k mount cameras) I will join you in line to scoop up the 'cheaply disposed' k-1s and k-3s and DFA, FA, DA lenses... and continue to enjoy my type of photography with my k-mount gears. By that time, I don't think I need to worry about warranty or repair; because if it breaks, I will pick up another one from fleabay or anyone who want to dump their Pentax gear.
02-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I worried myself about the future of Pentax but for reasons already stated I eventually stopped worrying. I still use my k5 and it’s never had an issue in like 50k shutter count so I’m not too worried that I won’t get my years out of the k-1 II I will soon buy and I can always get another second hand if it breaks.
I would actually be more worried about Nikon than Pentax disappearing since as I understand it they don’t have the diversification of a company like canon or like Ricoh backing them to deal with their quickly shrinking market share.
As soon as they shrink small enough to be unable to provide the same level of pro services that canon does I think that will be the start of a rapid crash for them.
I would expect canon will absorb the majority of their pro shooters at that point and Pentax may very well pick up many of the amateur and semi pro shooters as the equivalent canon equipment costs a fortune compared to Pentax.
02-20-2018, 09:00 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
I worried myself about the future of Pentax but for reasons already stated I eventually stopped worrying. I still use my k5 and it’s never had an issue in like 50k shutter count so I’m not too worried that I won’t get my years out of the k-1 II I will soon buy and I can always get another second hand if it breaks.
I would actually be more worried about Nikon than Pentax disappearing since as I understand it they don’t have the diversification of a company like canon or like Ricoh backing them to deal with their quickly shrinking market share.
As soon as they shrink small enough to be unable to provide the same level of pro services that canon does I think that will be the start of a rapid crash for them.
I would expect canon will absorb the majority of their pro shooters at that point and Pentax may very well pick up many of the amateur and semi pro shooters as the equivalent canon equipment costs a fortune compared to Pentax.
Nikon is a bit disturbing, fingers crossed they can navigate the treacheries of the current market.

I see that the darlings of the industry, GoPro, are shedding 20% of their workforce.

02-25-2018, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by motorhead9999 Quote
If we want things like fisheyes, or ultra fast 1.4 lenses (outside of the Sigma Art 35mm, which I think is the one lens Sigma DOES carry for k-mount), the support is simply not out there.
You can buy the Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye for Pentax brand new. I have it and I love it.

Perhaps also have a look at this list of FF lenses for the K-1 that can be bought new.

And while it's still an unconfirmed rumor, the rumored K1v2 leaked specs are not reassuring at all in terms of the roadmap this company seems to have.
I wouldn't base my deliberations about Pentax's future on the K-1 Mark II upgrades.

Ricoh always maintained that the K-1 will be a stable product, i.e., that it won't see the typical price depreciation and that it will be around for quite a while as well. I regard the K-1 Mark II as a continuation of the K-1 that allows Ricoh to get some more revenue through users updating the K-1 and potential current customers having the K-1 Mark II on the radar (they'd probably miss the K-1 by looking at current offerings only).

We should see some new lenses from Ricoh this year. I too wish Ricoh were more dynamic regarding DSLRs but on the other hand, I'm very happy that Ricoh gives us this incredible alternative to Canikony, so I'm happy to be patient.
02-25-2018, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'm happy to be patient.
Improved body purchases every two years is an expensive treadmill, especially if they are $2k a pop. Patience isn't the word.

There are things I would like the K1 to do, but if I can double my shutter speed for less than $1K I honestly don't see any reason to complain. The alternative is what? Spend $5-8k on some other brand to get marginal improvements in some areas and less performance in others?

I shoot with people who have other brands. I get shots they don't, quite regularly. They get shots I don't, quite regularly. Partly technique, but more than that. It takes me a year to become proficient at a body; I shoot at the limits of capability all the time and after a year I've been through all the light ranges I see around here. My friends do the same; one got a D500 and it took a year for his shots to look as good, then better than his D7200.

I am not bumping my head on the limitations of the K1. I did with the K3. If I get the AF improvements I expect (the K3 was quite a bit better than the K5, and the K1 is better than the K3) and the better iso performance that the KP has displayed, I will be more than happy.
02-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't worry about Ricoh's commitment to the brand. It seems as though they are going to continue to support, although they aren't willing to throw money at it the way that Sony and Fuji seem to. Slow release of new lenses seems to be the name of the game, but the quality is going to be excellent when they actually are released.

02-26-2018, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #38
tax

I switched to Pentax K-1 after my heavily used 2008-2016 Canon 5D Mark II finally gave up the ghost due to its shutter failure. It was a decent camera for its time, but lacking any weatherproofing capabilities. I was not heavily invested in Canon lenses, just five at that time, so I started to look for a better replacement.
Initially, I chose Pentax K-1 because of its over all lower cost of ownership in comparison to other brands. Soon, after I got more familiar with it, I started truly appreciate its features, engineering and capabilities. The best thing with Pentax is that you can build your collection of lenses at a fraction of what you would spend on similar lenses for Canon and probably other brands. Pentax IBIS allows you to use any lenses compatible with K mount. Neither Canon nor Nikon offers you the same universality. After just a year of owning my K-1, I have 64 various lenses in my collection, thing I could not even dreamed of had I stayed with Canon.
02-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tax Quote
After just a year of owning my K-1, I have 64 various lenses in my collection, thing I could not even dreamed of had I stayed with Canon.
64 lens!?!?!? Dang.... and I thought my LBA was bad, ha! My hat is off to you
02-26-2018, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #40
tax

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
64 lens!?!?!? Dang.... and I thought my LBA was bad, ha! My hat is off to you
I generally find just barely if ever used Pentax lenses in Goodwill stores, on garage sales (mostly attached to film Pentaxes) and on estate sales.
Most of sellers do not truly appreciate the true value of these lenses and I can get a professional quality piece just for pennies on the dollar.
03-02-2018, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

I'm late to the party, but still.

I'll start by saying thanks for this thoughtful and well researched comment. It's useful for everyone.

Remember, I'm not a professional. I don't make a living through photography. It's a hobby for me, and I don't claim to be an expert at it. If I misstate something in this review, please tell me. I enjoy being educated.
That's fair and honest.

So far, I have the following lenses: 15-30, 24-70, and 150-450
You've got fantastic glass, and are only missing out on primes, which is one of Pentax's strength.

The lenses, and lens selection:
beyond those 4 lenses, there's not a lot out there for the K1.
Here is where I disagree. It's true to say that Pentax invested a lot on APS-C in recent years (and apparently offers THE largest lineup of APS-C lenses). But here are the lenses that can be bought new and used on full frame:

31 F1.8
35 F2
43 F1.9
50 F1.4
50 F2.8 macro
77 F1.8
100 F2.8 macro WR
70-200 F2.8
28-105
I believe, but am not 100% sure, that the DA* 200 and 300 can also be used straight out of the box.

While that's not a huge lot, it's still something. Pentax is still building the DFA lineup and will flesh it out over time. A new 50, 85 and 70-200 F4 are coming, for instance.

A good number of third-party players also do support the brand : Irix, Rokinin/Samyang, Lensbaby, Lomography to name a few.

To this, you can add some oddballs. For instance, the DA 40 F2.8 limited does work on FF, as do some other lenses. The 60-250 F4 can be modified (easier than it looks). And as you point out, even if that means gong used, you can find a plethora of older lenses which work just fine.

You also CAN use DA lenses and accept the crop factor. You get 16 MP images, but keep all the rest (dynamic range, ergonomics, etc).

An unknown and shaky future: When the lack of support and marketshare
That's always worrisome when your brand is not the leader, but Ricoh remains a profitable company, which is more than can be said of Nikon... I don'T see THAT as reason enough to jump ship. If the brand was ever to go under, your camera would still be working, likely for a long time. You'd lose some money but you could decide to keep your camera as long as it works, and write off the lenses' value as compared to the cost of upgrading another brand's body every other year.
03-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Pentax is far from lacking prime lenses, on the contrary full frame primes lenses are Pentax's strength, there are so many full frame primes to chose from (see links below):
Pentax FA Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Pentax F Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Pentax A Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Pentax M Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Pentax K Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

and with a M42 adapter you have even more prime lenses:
Pentax M42 Screwmount Extreme Wide-Angle Primes - Lens Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Pentax M42 Screwmount Wide-Angle Primes - Lens Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Pentax M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Lens Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Pentax M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes - Lens Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Pentax M42 Screwmount Extreme Telephoto Primes - Lens Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

If that's no enough choice, I really don't know what you need.
03-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #43
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Pentax is far from lacking prime lenses, on the contrary full frame primes lenses are Pentax's strength, there are so many full frame primes to chose from (see links below):
and with a M42 adapter you have even more prime lenses:
If that's no enough choice, I really don't know what you need.
You have a point, but manual focus and / or used lenses aren't to everybody's tastes and needs (personally, I love both - but that's just me). Current production full-frame AF lenses are limited to those @bdery mentioned above. Of course, there's some superb glass in that list, but it's true that the full frame catalogue needs to expand - and it is, though we all know that's going to take time. One doesn't buy into Pentax for an overwhelming choice of modern glass... but what's there is very good, and much better than many people give credit for (even some die-hard Pentaxians)
03-02-2018, 06:36 PM   #44
Veteran Member

<<I believe, but am not 100% sure, that the DA* 200 and 300 can also be used straight out of the box.>>

Yes, you are correct they can. I have the DA*300 and can testify that it is completely usable on the K-1, and have read that Pentax has stated that, in addition to the 300, the 200 and 560 are also.
03-04-2018, 12:08 AM   #45

I don't get that last argument about Pentax being (possibly) doomed. I hear the same arguments trotted out for smartphones and all sorts of other gear.
If the K1 + lenses takes fantastic pictures now, even if Pentax/Ricoh completely goes belly up and closes up shop, it will continue to take fantastic pictures. There is no annual subscription, there is no recurring maintenance fee. The gear is yours to keep and use.
Plenty of people are buying used cameras which are completely out of warranty and are happily taking more pictures. Yes, the re-sale value of your K1 may crash, but worrying about the potential future resale value of your camera seems a bit of a silly reason to give up your gear now while you are still enjoying it and it is still working.
Also I'm pretty sure many pros who make money from their cameras are not running the latest models, I doubt being 1 or 2 models behind is not affecting their work quality in the least.

If/when it does break, well, it can be repaired most likely. Currently, as I understand it, the repairs are not done directly by Pentax anyways but a 3rd party company.