Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2018, 04:49 PM - 12 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
My Canon to Pentax experience: Why I love Pentax, but might still leave.

I've had my Pentax K1 now for about 5 months. I originally a Canon 6Dmk1, which was my first full frame camera. In general I was happy with Canon, but there certainly were things about my 6D I wasn't crazy about. After travelling to shoot the eclipse, and having a Canon 7D that I borrowed from a friend on a tripod angled at nearly 45 degrees, but not having a broken neck because of the nice angled swivel screen (an issue that I had suffered greatly with the 6D's lack of one), I decided that it was time to change that. Originally I had wanted to remain within Canon, but my other full frame option (the 5Dmk4) didn't have one either. I didn't have so much Canon glass that I'd take a horrendous loss, combined with the fact that the Black Friday deal I had gotten on my camera was so good that I'd basically break even selling the body meant that I wasn't locked into stay with Canon. I had originally drifted towards Sony, but after some horror stories about customer support with them, as well as some of the Star Eater issues (of which astro is one of my chief enjoyments when doing photography), I decided to stay away. So obviously Nikon was going to be the winner, especially after the announcement of the D850. After watching Tony and Chelsea Northrop's Pentax K1 review though, I became slightly sold on the camera from the brand that nobody I knew bought. I kept doing my research, and the camera certainly had enough points in it's favor. I took the plunge (rather nervously I might add, as I felt I was taking a large risk on the brand, given many of the criticisms I had read both on this forum and elsewhere). So here's where I stand 5 months out. I'll talk a bit about what I like, what I don't like, and my thoughts about remaining in the Pentax ecosystem.

Remember, I'm not a professional. I don't make a living through photography. It's a hobby for me, and I don't claim to be an expert at it. If I misstate something in this review, please tell me. I enjoy being educated.

So far, I have the following lenses: 15-30, 24-70, and 150-450.

Things I like:
The controls: In all seriousness, this is probably my favorite aspect of the camera. All of the buttons make sense, the layout is impeccable, and most importantly, the 3rd user selectable wheel! The fact that by changing that one extra button to ISO means that I've got independant controls over f stop, shutter speed AND ISO all within reach of my fingers when shooting is nothing short of miraculous. I did my first concert photography shoot recently, where the light settings are constantly changing, between almost too dark to see, and blown out, and the ability to keep my aperture and shutter speed fairly constant, but just notch down my iso for a quick moment, and then switch back was a blessing.

The build: It's built like a tank. Plan and simple. I haven't felt afraid of putting the thing on the ground, of using it at the beach, or out on trails. I've been rained on a few times, and the fact that I don't have to be paranoid of getting a water droplet on it certainly helps me feel more confident on going for a shot. The lenses, particularly the 150-450 are built like tanks as well, and the ergonomics and features are by and large comfortable. I certainly prefer using/dealing with the 150-450 over the 100-400 Canon (I don't remember the exact focal range but it's the white Canon telephoto) that I had borrowed for the eclipse.

The lenses, and lens selection: This is a double edged sword, so here's the first edge. People complain about the lens selection. Honestly, (and I'll talk about it later), given the lenses I have, it's not as big an issue as I initially thought it'd be. I haven't felt the need to get the 70-200 lens yet (for the time being, I can't say I've ever felt like I missed a shot because I didn't have something to cover the >70-149 range), but if I were to pick it up, I would be covered with great quality lenses from 15mm all the way up to 450mm (and 15-200 of that would be at a pretty fast aperture). That's nothing really to sneeze at, and really what else would you want? And as I mentioned here, and in the previous point, all the lenses have been of terrific image quality that I can't really say I'm unhappy with them, or that the trinity is lacking. So yeah...the lens situation isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be

Image Quality: This goes without saying. The first time I took a water shot with this camera, I was in awe of how good the photos were, especially compared to my 6D. I can't tell you how many times I've just been blown away by how crisp this camera can get. I really don't know what else to say here. When Tony and Chelsea's review called it "the greatest landscape camera ever", they weren't lying.

The body price: It's roughly half the price of a D850 or a7r3, and a grand cheaper than a 5dMk4. 'Nuff said.

The tilt screen: While I don't go around dangling the camera by the tilt screen, I do feel it's a lot more secure and robust than say the Canon or Nikon style. But really, the screen is nice and clear (albeit sometimes hard to see in sunlight), and it certainly encourages me to get my camera down nice and low sometimes to get a shot that I wouldn't have thought, or tried to get other times.

"A good enough sports camera": Does this thing have the fire rate that a D500 has? No. But you know what? I have to say that the K1 has performed far better under fast motion conditions than I really ever hoped it would. I've always had poor luck at concerts, but this camera certainly held up to performers moving around on stage and doing unpredictable things. I also did an engagement shoot with it, and it worked just fine for people moving around naturally.

Things I'm "meh" on:
The autofocus: I really didn't want to put this in the "things I don't like" section, because really, I don't think it's AS bad as some people make it out to be. Yes, it can absolutely be better, and we can all only hope that we get Nikon or Sony level qualities of autofocusing one day. In the wildlife photography I've done, I've found the autofocus grabs things reasonably well, and quick to get the shot I want. But yeah...when I've got a heron 6 feet in front of me, and 3 smallish reed plants in front of it, and all the autofocus wants to do is blur the heron to get the reeds in focus can be frustrating. I'm still learning the ins and outs of focus points and selecting them, so there's certainly room for ME to grow in this, and may not be entirely the camera's fault, but I've had enough times, and there's enough community complaints out there for me to be comfortable with saying there's room for the camera to grow.

Things I don't like:
The lens selection: Here's the other edge of that blade I promised. Yes, I have 4 glorious modern lenses from the 15-450 range to choose from from Pentax. But beyond that, there's not a lot out there. Yes, I understand I have the entire 30 years or so of Pentax legacy lenses to choose from, but honestly, that's not always for everyone. Whether it be because of issues with some of those legacy lenses on the K1,or that I/we like having the latest and greatest technology, or the fact that I don't want to have to deal with garage sales, or ebay to try out some really old lens, beyond those 4 lenses, there's not a lot out there for the K1. We basically lose Tamron as a manufacturer, due to their basically being Pentax's manufacturer, Sigma's support and options for K-mount is minimal to say the least, and even Rokinon doesn't have a large selection for us. If we want things like fisheyes, or ultra fast 1.4 lenses (outside of the Sigma Art 35mm, which I think is the one lens Sigma DOES carry for k-mount), the support is simply not out there. And when you want those lenses, it's frustrating that you can't get them. As I stated in my other half of this argument, the fact that Pentax's lineup does cover so much of the usual range with good quality makes this issue not as painful as people online make seem, but when something's missing, it really affects you.

The battery grip: I was super excited to buy this thing. And in all honesty, I ended up returning it. While it was nice to have the extra shutter button, the fact that the grip design basically made it so that one battery was no longer accessible, and then you only had a single battery slot in the grip itself made it a disappointment for me. In the end, I felt it was easier simply just to keep a single spare battery if that was the case. Yes, I miss having that extra oriented shutter button, but it wasn't worth it. Another reason the grip ended up being the bane of my existence was....

Lack of third party support: To continue from my point above, there is no available L-bracket available for the K1 with battery grip. I can (and did) get one for the base K1 from RRS (which I'm extremely happy with!) and some others, but not with the battery grip. You can get one for Canon w/ a battery grip. You can get one for Nikon w/ a battery grip. But not for Pentax. And in general, that's the story for Pentax items. Unless it's offered for sale by the parent company, we generally can't buy it, and our marketshare is so small that nobody wants to make anything for us. You can probably lump in some of my complaints on the Sigma/Tamron lens support here too. We are simply an afterthought to the rest of the market. And heaven help any of us if we ever need to get a Pentax item in a pinch from a brick and mortar store. Much like my comment earlier, its not as big a deal as I'm making it out to be, but when you want something as simple as an L-bracket, and you have to either compromise with what you want, or find some really burdensome workaround, it can get pretty maddening.

And my last dislike, and combined with why I might leave Pentax:
An unknown and shaky future: When the lack of support and marketshare, combined with frequent questions about the longterm future or support of the product and system by the parent company are so hugely out there, it constantly gives me second thoughts about staying around the Pentax line. Let's face it. If it becomes known that Pentax will either be discontinued, or "reimainged" or whatever it might be, we all stand to lose a ton on our gear. So you either get out now, and eat your loss, or simply use it till it dies, lose everything, and until then always have that nagging fear that tomorrow might be the day you have to buy a whole new camera system.

At this point, I'm far more invested in Pentax gear than I ever was when I was with Canon. I'd love to simply keep my lenses and change the body out with a new model every 4 years or so. I just don't get that comfort level with Pentax though. And while it's still an unconfirmed rumor, the rumored K1v2 leaked specs are not reassuring at all in terms of the roadmap this company seems to have. I listed a lot to like about the camera and the system earlier. As much as I do though, for all intents and purposes, Nikon and Canon are equally good systems. Each have their pros and cons of course, but still, at least those two you can certainly see lasting well into the future. If I can get more or less the same quality shots out of a D850 as my K1, but get into a much more stable and widely available ecosystem (not to mention still getting good value on my current gear) that I don't have to constantly fear is going to abandon me, then why not do it now rather than later?

It's not like I want to switch mind you. If there's one thing my K1 has done for me, is it's been a damn good enough camera that it makes me want to go out and take pictures, and more importantly, experiment with different things that I never would have thought to do. That says something, and in the end, isn't that what all of us want? To not think about the gear, and just simply think about what we really want to do, which is take gorgeous photos.

I'm not jumping ship yet, just to be clear. It's something I think about though. But in the meantime, I'm going to keep taking photos.

<end flu induced rant of boredom>

02-17-2018, 05:00 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Your post is very well thought through. I agree with some of what you say, and disagree with some of it too... but these are your assessments and opinions, and they're absolutely valid whether or not I agree with them

Rather than going into each point individually with a "War & Peace"-length answer, all I'll say is... whilstever you enjoy shooting Pentax gear and feel it's giving you most of what you want, stick with it, and don't obsess over the deficiencies. But if you find yourself going through a protracted period where it's really not giving you what you need, switch to another system that does - whatever the brand may be. Try to make sure, though, that you draw your conclusions and make your move(s) based on what you truly need, rather than what you think you might need, what others have that you don't, or - worse still - what other systems can offer that you like the sound of but really don't need The grass is always greener on the other side, whatever brand and system you buy into... and which one is greener can change year by year.

Most of us here (and on any other forums) could get by quite satisfactorily with a five year old camera and a couple of half decent lenses... We might think we need x, y and z to take the photos we want to take, but most of the time, we really don't. Equipment truly is secondary to our ability and techniques. It's so easy to get hung up on this brand or that brand offering this or that functionality, performance, lens, accessory, blah blah blah... Most of it is noise. Personally, I don't think I actually know any amateur photographers who needed to switch from one brand to another (regardless of whether Pentax figured in that decision), though I know plenty that did switch. They had some new gear to play with, and I guess that made them happy for a while, but I'm not sure it improved their photography

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-17-2018 at 05:14 PM.
02-17-2018, 05:31 PM - 5 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What Mike said.

Plus a bit of this: Your post is a very well thought out response to shooting with Pentax, and particularly the K-1. I don't think you've missed much, and I don't think you're wrong about anything.

My only suggestion is to move slowly. Take a deep breath. Take pictures! You've been caught up in a change of gear, which is both fun and stressful, and which naturally leads to wanting to continue the process of gear acquisition.

The best remedy I can think of is this: Take pictures. I know, that sounds dismissive, but it's something I have to remind myself of from time to time as well. The better you get with the K-1 -- or any camera -- the easier and more pleasurable it is to use. What we're really all in this for is photography.

With your investment of time and money in Pentax, I'd be inclined to give it a full year. Stop reading photo forums like this one if need be. Just take the photos you like to take, and make them as good as humanly possible with what you have. If, at the end of a year, or whatever period you assign yourself, you feel you could do better with another camera or another system, move right on and don't look back.
02-17-2018, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good comments. First and foremost it has to be said that the K1 is designed to be a great landscape camera and not much else. That's not to say you couldn't shoot weddings or wildlife (I separate landscape from wildlife) or models but it's probably not the best choice out there for those genres. As for lenses, accepting the above, how many do you need for landscape photography? As a landscape shooter I admit to bias, but this is by far the best DSLR I have ever owned and I ditched a Nikon D800 and Nikkor 14-24 to get it!

02-17-2018, 05:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Your post and comparison is well stated and very interesting. Many people can say what they like or don't like about Pentax, but only those people who have owned or at least used the competition can speak with some authority. Thank you for adding your thoughts to this forum's rich body of knowledge.

As for your largest concern regarding the future of Pentax, I have to say in all honesty that it is a concern I share because if Pentax goes down I will have a very hard time getting any money out of my gear. Actually to quote you, it's a double edged sword. I recently bought a couple of Pentax used products for amazing prices and I'm sure that the concern about the future of Pentax played a roll in those great deals. Similarly, I'm not as concerned about theft as I might otherwise be if I owned another brand. I think that thieves around the world recognize the Canon and Nikon brands and are attracted to them even more than paying customers are. But here's the thing, When I bought my first Pentax DSLR in around 2005 or so, the biggest concern I heard about them was that they are doomed. Everyone was wrong back then, although Pentax was then owned by Hoya and Hoya couldn't care less about the Pentax DSLR business. Now that Ricoh owns Pentax I am quite confident that the brand will be around for a long time. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony were to drop DSLRs before Ricoh but that's just my opinion.

Enjoy your camera. Use it often, use it in bad weather and travel to high risk locations for the shot knowing that the thieves will probably give you a pass in favour of the next guy with the Canon or Nikon equipment. Hopefully by the time Pentax does go down, if indeed it does, you will either be too old to use a camera, or the camera will be too old for you to care about resale value. That's my opinion anyway. Of course if I could have afforded it I would likely have purchased SAAB before they were bought by GM and then met with an untimely end so what do I know.
02-17-2018, 05:52 PM   #6

I all agree wht you saying... I'm not professional just taking pictures for fun.
Pentax l1 it s my first full frame camera ..autofocus is justok but Pentax should improve that point. New 50mm and 85mm lenses coming soon... I'm in love with my Pentax k1 and I hope we will have more options of lenses I will be so happy...
02-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do hope that Pentax continues to make excellent cameras like the K-1 and hopefully one day I'll save up for the 15-30mm and other lenses you mention.

Meanwhile, I'll keep taking photos with Pentax lenses on my K3 II, K1 and Lumix GX7 and hope some of them are good enough to post here.

02-17-2018, 05:57 PM   #8
CDW
Site Supporter

I pretty much agree with BKPIX comments. As a semi-retired professional photographer, I own a 645Z, a K1 and a Panasonic GH4 (primarily for video). I've never worried much in the past, or now, whether or not a camera manufacturer will be around tomorrow. I will say that if Canon ever had sensors in the same league with the SONY sensors that Pentax uses, and if I still worked on a daily basis as a professional, I'd probably go back to Canon. Their support and customer service is second to none, which is one of the major reasons they are still #1 in terms of market penetration, in spite of their lacking in some areas.

I've never been emotionally attached to brands or bodies with a couple of exceptions, a Pentax 645N and Fuji G617 in my film days. I've also never been one to find the holy grail of cameras that would meet all my needs in a single body. At one time I was shooting 4x5, 6x7 and 645. Even today I have three different systems for different uses. My only time with one camera was in my early days when I first bought a 35mm SLR and that lasted about six months before I ditched the small format for large and medium format.

Should Pentax go away, I won't lose any sleep. I'll be sad but I'll keep shooting with what I have until such time as it breaks and can't be repaired. At this point in my senior years there are far more things to lose sleep over.
02-17-2018, 06:27 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really don't think Pentax is going anywhere anytime soon. The company is in better shape than it was a few years ago and the products are excellent. If enough people like you keep switching and enjoying the results, the third party support will return.

Don't read too much into the K-1 MkII. It is an incremental update rather than a new model, and has appeared well before anything was expected. It is an improvement (albeit a small one) on an already superb camera. Anyway, at the moment it is still unconfirmed - unless I've missed something.

Lenses are coming!

Maybe when you get over your flu you'll feel more positive
02-17-2018, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent post MOTORHEAD9999. Great points you've brought up. I've primarily shot with the Pentax brand since 1980 but other brands have also passed through my camera bag. Brand loyalty has for me has always been second in line to getting the best bang for the buck. And Pentax offers that, hands down. I was concerned that Pentax was on the outs when Hoya was driving the brand bus, or not driving the bus. Rumors of Pentax's demise seemed to be a regular topic on the forum. Since Ricoh has stepped in, my "faith" in the Pentax brand being around has been much restored. Ricoh's road map for Pentax maybe slow but it's moving forward. I never expected to see a FF Pentax, not under Hoya. Wasn't sure about it under Ricoh. And now we have one. An excellent camera body. And there may be a second one coming soon. It heartens me to see the rumors these days are more about Pentax's future and less Pentax's demise.
02-17-2018, 06:49 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

When this subject comes up I always think of the song Cocaine by Dave Von ROnk

"They say cocaine is for horses, not for men,
They say it will kill me but they won't say when."

They say Pentax is doomed, but they won't say when.

There are a lot of fools on this forum and elsewhere that have been proclaiming Pentax is doomed for a very long time.
Which reminds me of that other issue.

"If you live each day like it's your last, someday you'll be right."
However as that relates to Pentax is doomed, my take is, "not likely in my lifetime."

Last edited by normhead; 02-18-2018 at 08:15 AM.
02-17-2018, 06:50 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Sandy.

For a start I don't think Ricoh is likely to go out of business any time soon because only a small proportion of their business is cameras anyway. Yes its possible they could stop making DSLRs due to the dwindling mark size of DSLRs but you can pretty much say that about any of the manufacturers I think. Arguably Ricoh has a small market share compared to Nikon, Canon and even Sony, and therefore this could make them more vulnerable, however don't forget Ricoh is not a small and has proven resilient.

I think for studio and landscape photographers, Pentax now has a compelling system but that does not mean the system can't be used for sports or anything else for that matter. I understand that Nikon and Canon do a much better of supporting professional photographers though.

I certainly hope 3rd party manufacturers do come around to supporting Pentax again but only time will tell for sure.
02-17-2018, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
When this subject comes up I always think of the song Cocaine by Dave Von ROnk

"They say cocaine is for horses, not for men,
They say it will kill me but they won't say when."

They say Pentax is doomed, but they won't say when.

There are a lot of fools on this forum and elsewhere that have been proclaiming Pentax is doomed for a very long time.
Which reminds me of that other issue.

"If you live each day like it's your last, someday you'll be right."
However as that relates to Pentax is doomed, my take it, "not likely in my lifetime."

re: Future of Pentax, i.e., "Pentax is doomed"© . . .

I've been using Pentax digital for a dozen years. Every single year was full of "Pentax is doomed"© naysayers online. In real life, people were making images. I just ignore it all.

One of our cars is 27 years old. Another is 61 years old. There are still markets for both of them and good demand too. The thing about digital is that the media doesn't vanish like film almost did for a while. (well, manufacturing dropped precipitously). One of these days, gasoline may not be available any more and then I'll really be up a creek. Or maybe I'll rip out the engines and install battery banks?

When I was using M42 lenses in the 1970s, developing my own b&w, there were magazine articles about whether Minolta or Konica or someone else would dethrone Pentax and Pentax might fall by the wayside. Like anything in life, use what you got, and let the future rest until it gets here.

If Pentax vanishes, don't you think there'll be a demand for that now unavailable, but legendary, K-1 or that great 150-450? Afficionados will always look for great gear.

Anyway, might as well worry about North Korea wiping out Seattle or Fairbanks. There are infinite worries about the future. Focus on today (except when saving for retirement - which may not come if you text and drive).
02-17-2018, 11:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by motorhead9999 Quote
And my last dislike, and combined with why I might leave Pentax:
An unknown and shaky future: When the lack of support and marketshare, combined with frequent questions about the longterm future or support of the product and system by the parent company are so hugely out there, it constantly gives me second thoughts about staying around the Pentax line. Let's face it. If it becomes known that Pentax will either be discontinued, or "reimainged" or whatever it might be, we all stand to lose a ton on our gear. So you either get out now, and eat your loss, or simply use it till it dies, lose everything, and until then always have that nagging fear that tomorrow might be the day you have to buy a whole new camera system.
Why will your K1 stop taking photographs if Pentax goes out of business?

There are lots of camera companies that no longer exist and the gear is still worth a solid something. You only lose real money when you decide to sell or when it cant be repaired. Anyway if you listen to the internet DSLR's are doomed and its only a matter of time before Canon and Nikon will fold unless they add x y and z features and embrace EVF's, and are to be replaced by Fuji, Sony, Olympus, and Panasonic. I wouldn't hold my breath though... complaining is what internet forums are about after all. Hell your old 6D sold for something and its not exactly loved by internet pundits.
02-18-2018, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Obviously screw driven lenses feel like a step backwards for people from other systems, but the quality of images you get out of the FA limiteds is superb. If your prepared to wait for the new DFA* lenses then expect to be blown away as they will be better again! The combination of fast primes and IBIS is a ton of fun.