Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will you service upgrade your K-1 to K-1 II?
Yes 7431.36%
No 2912.29%
I have not decided yet 9640.68%
Not relevant to me (I have another camera etc) 2811.86%
No. I have a K-1 but will buy a new K-1 II 93.81%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Preordered K-1II and keeping K-1. I’m selling the KP and all my DA lenses except the 35 Macro.
Wow. Well, looks like you've just decided to commit to more than just a new purchase. Tell us more!

03-10-2018, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Wow. Well, looks like you've just decided to commit to more than just a new purchase. Tell us more!
I don’t want to be an early adopter for the upgrade. I like what the Accelerator Unit does in the KP. I like the OVF on the K-1 - I can focus manual lenses on K-1. And there’s a context.

This is a hobby for me, not a business. I like using Pentax gear and have for 45 years. I buy mostly old things, try them and sell them - or keep them sometimes. I actively collect K series lenses. That’s I suppose a privilege of 45 years of hard work and frugal living, so now I can be a bit extravagant in this (but I still drive a Honda and have no debt whatsoever). It’s just choices. I don’t spend money on things normal people spend money on. I do this.

When the K-1 was released the plan was to use all those manual full frame lenses as the Powers That Be intended they be used. I walked into my local dealer Day 1 and bought it over the counter. I sold the K-3 and eventually boxed all the DA’s to be sold because even AF crop shooting on the great big OVF just didn’t work for me - then someone had gotten in over his head and offered me a nice collection of really fine FA* lenses, low serial FA Limiteds - and a spanking new silver KP. I got sidetracked.

I was / am really impressed by the KP itself, but all I do with it is snapshots of my grandchildren. Good as it is - good as the DA Limiteds are - that’s too much money to sit in a bag when I always reach for the K-1 first. I also have AIV FA Limiteds I bought new that the MIJ ones should replace. And some other neat old stuff that has been fun, but it’s time to let it go.

Money wise it’s very likely many more dollars in than dollars out. The 35 Macro is a special lens (I still have a K-01 and a K10D if it comes down to it and I like that sensor better anyway). Maybe the K-1 will turn out to be better for something than the K-1ll and I’ll have both - who knows? If not, I’ll sell it next year and I bet my cost will have been $35 a month for three years. People spend $35 a WEEK at Starbucks - and you know where it goes and hour later

But the real deal is the original plan. Convert to FF - shoot with all those K lenses - document them - print them - as an intentional project. Real Resolution with them should be neat. ISO 3200-6400 should be better. Maybe AF will be a bit better - who knows. OTOH maybe K-1 will have better long exposure base ISO RAW’s. Maybe it will just be my Macro camera - there are worse ideas. Maybe it’s just dumb. But there are already half a dozen K-1’s on the Market here. I’m not selling into that.

Just pray I never win the Lottery. I’d be on the phone to B&H for a 645z and the entire catalog of 645 lenses, “And I don't care if you have to special order it!” (That’s roughly $53,000, right?) Then I PM.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-10-2018 at 02:56 PM.
03-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like what the Accelerator Unit does in the KP.
I love hearing that.
QuoteQuote:
People spend $35 a WEEK at Starbucks - and you know where it goes and hour later
Hilarious! Too true. It's why I always have my thermos with me....well, not to recycle, you understand....
QuoteQuote:
Just pray I never win the Lottery. I’d be on the phone to B&H for a 645z and the entire catalog of 645 lenses, “And I don't care if you have to special order it!” (That’s roughly $53,000, right?) Then I PM.
ummmm...got some bad news for you. I have a Z and now 13 lenses (including my just purchased rarity, the DA 25...), plus a teleconverter and 645-K adapter, right angle finder, 2x magnifier....and I spent waaaaaaay less than $53K. What I spent total is probably well within your price range, for all of that. And if you didn't need all of that....well, I'd say you might just be in trouble, my friend. Whatever you do, don't sit down and truly calculate the costs. Your wallet will be quickly lighter. But you'd be happy....
03-10-2018, 05:26 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Preordered K-1II and keeping K-1. I’m selling the KP and all my DA lenses except the 35 Macro.
I'm also committed to the upgrade on at least one of my two bodies, but I can't bring myself to completely part with my crop kit. Apart from the 35 limited, the 15 and 21 are pretty special too.

I'm also keeping the 10-17, the 16-50, 50-135 and 55-300 into the foreseeable future, in part for the times I want to travel light, but also as a library of lenses for people (like my brother who now has my K-3) to borrow.

And by the way, if you're interested in a capable 645Z kit *much* cheaper than you anticipate, flip me a PM

03-10-2018, 06:22 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I love hearing that. Hilarious! Too true. It's why I always have my thermos with me....well, not to recycle, you understand....
ummmm...got some bad news for you. I have a Z and now 13 lenses (including my just purchased rarity, the DA 25...), plus a teleconverter and 645-K adapter, right angle finder, 2x magnifier....and I spent waaaaaaay less than $53K. What I spent total is probably well within your price range, for all of that. And if you didn't need all of that....well, I'd say you might just be in trouble, my friend. Whatever you do, don't sit down and truly calculate the costs. Your wallet will be quickly lighter. But you'd be happy....
I bet I could focus using the OVF on a z
03-10-2018, 09:02 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bet I could focus using the OVF on a z
Even I can
03-10-2018, 10:06 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why don’t we just agree I need to get off the rumor threads, sell some stuff, do my lenses project, hang some nice prints in my office - and then we’ll talk about a bigger camera.

03-10-2018, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #83
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe the K-1 will turn out to be better for something than the K-1ll and I’ll have both - who knows?
Still a few pending questions about K1 II improvements:
1) Is AFC with AE sensor really improved vs K1 original?
2) Will K1 get a firmware update that brings the same AFC improvement to the K1?
3) About the "accelerator chip": any perceived quality difference on prints?
4) Will the accelerator chip help in camera speed of operation?
5) Will the accelerator chip help to increase the number of consecutive shots stored in buffer?
6) Hand held pixel shift: what is the raw format like? (4 raw packaged into a single file? single raw file already processed?)
We definitely need side by side comparisons from some having both K1 and K1 II.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-10-2018 at 11:08 PM.
03-10-2018, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #84
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'll tell you in a month or so.
03-11-2018, 01:22 AM   #85
Veteran Member

If you do noise reduction before moving the data into RAM then you will be able to store more images in RAM because noise inflates an image pointlessly.

This assumes you are storing compressed images, however, which is not the case if shooting RAW.

I am amazed Pentax is offering this upgrade without demonstrating clearly what it does.
03-11-2018, 01:30 AM   #86
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
I am amazed Pentax is offering this upgrade without demonstrating clearly what it does.
Ricoh has all the data they need, except sales.
I'm willing to trust their knowledge over your skepticism.
03-11-2018, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #87

1) Is AFC with AE sensor really improved vs K1 original?
2) Will K1 get a firmware update that brings the same AFC improvement to the K1?
3) About the "accelerator chip": any perceived quality difference on prints?
4) Will the accelerator chip help in camera speed of operation?
5) Will the accelerator chip help to increase the number of consecutive shots stored in buffer?
6) Hand held pixel shift: what is the raw format like? (4 raw packaged into a single file? single raw file already processed?)
We definitely need side by side comparisons from some having both K1 and K1 II.
I asked for 4) at CP+ and the answer was no I am pretty sure this applies to 5) also.

The accerator chip is just a unit before the CPU, as they did not change any of the other infrastructure I would not expect any changes on buffer rate.
03-11-2018, 04:44 AM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Snakeisthestuff Quote
I asked for 4) at CP+ and the answer was no I am pretty sure this applies to 5) also.
I was assuming that if RAW files contains less noise the size of each file would be smaller hence more throughput... but... I realize I'm wrong because less noise lead to smaller JPEGs however that does not apply to raw files... So yeah, no improvement in throughput.

From the photographs of the motherboards, where is the DRAM chip that acts as buffer. There are two chips beside the CPU but they look like SD card controllers rather than DRAM.
03-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #89
Pentaxian

I was assuming that if RAW files contains less noise the size of each file would be smaller hence more throughput... but... I realize I'm wrong because less noise lead to smaller JPEGs however that does not apply to raw files... So yeah, no improvement in throughput.
Both PEF and DNG are compressed so the idea is not entirely wrong.
On the other hand the accelerator chip does something with the data, and doing something usually takes time. At least it takes power so the number of pictures per battery charge is going down. That is a big minus.
03-11-2018, 10:12 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Both PEF and DNG are compressed so the idea is not entirely wrong.
On the other hand the accelerator chip does something with the data, and doing something usually takes time. At least it takes power so the number of pictures per battery charge is going down. That is a big minus.
Didn't know Pentax files are compressed. How come they're better quality than majority of other brands?