Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will you service upgrade your K-1 to K-1 II?
Yes 7431.36%
No 2912.29%
I have not decided yet 9640.68%
Not relevant to me (I have another camera etc) 2811.86%
No. I have a K-1 but will buy a new K-1 II 93.81%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2018, 08:42 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theWags Quote
I have three questions to answer before I decide:

1- What can I get for my K1 now, considering I just bought it and it has only about 200 actuations. Would it be cheaper to sell and buy the mk2 than to upgrade?

2- What will the reviews of the new features be, after a couple months? Are the new features worth the upgrade fee?

3- Even if the new features are weak, will the new electronics allow future upgrades that won't be available to original K1 owners?
Keep it ! I will have both FF models , only because I'm selling the K3-II and was given a nice fat gift card at Christmas.
But if my K-1 only had 200 actuations there is NO way I would ever consider selling it because its still amazing !

02-23-2018, 10:07 AM   #32
tax

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The new circuit board is needed for the noise canceling chip. Just give us Sr II through a firmware update. It will work better.
Hello, Do you know if this noise cancelling chip is beneficial to the quality of RAW images in any way?
It appears that it affects only camera processed JPEG images stored or embedded into RAW files as thumbnails or previews.
02-23-2018, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tax Quote
Hello, Do you know if this noise cancelling chip is beneficial to the quality of RAW images in any way?
It appears that it affects only camera processed JPEG images stored or embedded into RAW files as thumbnails or previews.
Nope it filters noise on RAW level. Look at the difference between the K-3 II and the KP on the dpreview image comparison.
02-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tax Quote
This chip intercepts the data between the sensor and the PRIME image processor.

It does *something* to the RAW files. And the JPGs are made from those.

02-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #35

For a decision, I'd like to see some sample High-ISO pictures taken at the same low-light conditions both with an "old" K-1 and a K-1 II.

How will, for instance, ISO 102400 compare on both cameras?

And what impact will that have to, say, ISO 6400?
02-23-2018, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

I would like to know what this upgrade does for, ahem, taking photos

ISO 800k sounds impressive but ISO 100k is so noisy that you have to slide the lightroom noise reduction slider all the way to the right to get a usable photo (and lose a lot of the image in the process). Of course the ability to shoot with say 100k is itself an amazing achievement, compared to film, and early digitals.

No noise processing will make ISO 800k produce decent images. There just aren't enough electrons being collected by each pixel. The only things you can do is make the pixels bigger (like the Sony A7-whatever 12MP model) or open the shutter for longer. The rest is just physics...
02-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For me it would be cheaper to pick up a K-1 II and just sell the K-1. That also nets a free grip, which is super nice.
If grip is not what you want, selling K1 and buying K1II is not a good choice.

1. Sell it at $1500? you still need to come up with near $500 to get K1II.
(more importantly, why would anyone want a K1II at $1500 when they can get K1II at 1999)

2. Sell it below $1500, you have to come out more money than $550 to get K1II.

What will be the price point you think you can sell your K1 to make it "worth"?

02-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
For a decision, I'd like to see some sample High-ISO pictures taken at the same low-light conditions both with an "old" K-1 and a K-1 II.

How will, for instance, ISO 102400 compare on both cameras?

And what impact will that have to, say, ISO 6400?
I honestly don't think you will see any noticeable difference at ISO 6400 or below. I could be very wrong , though I hope not ..... JMHO.
Geeze......why is anyone shooting at those speeds anyway ? I hardly ever even go half that ISO on a really bad day. Just curious where this comes into play ??
02-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #39

I have not decided yet. Have to see what the cost will be here in Australia. I'd like to see/hear how much improvement over the K1 the K1-ll upgrade would offer for the price.
02-23-2018, 06:14 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I honestly don't think you will see any noticeable difference at ISO 6400 or below. I could be very wrong , though I hope not ..... JMHO.
Geeze......why is anyone shooting at those speeds anyway ? I hardly ever even go half that ISO on a really bad day. Just curious where this comes into play ??
For me, shutter speed for wildlife in low light (beginning and end of day, under tree canopy etc)..... however.... I sorta do ok with the K1 and DXO prime noise reduction followed by “Piccure” processing anyhow. The cost of converting my two K1s would buy me a DFA 70-200/2.8..... so will be a difficult decision.
02-23-2018, 06:41 PM   #41

I'd like to see a real life example of something that can be done with the K-1ii that can't be done with the existing K-1.
02-23-2018, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heydavemyers Quote
I'd like to see a real life example of something that can be done with the K-1ii that can't be done with the existing K-1.
And You will ! The PS with motion in the image is one thing my K-1 cant do !
02-23-2018, 07:36 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Let's wait for the reports on the differences. If it's enough of a change, we have plenty of time (till September) to come up with the funds
02-23-2018, 08:24 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Let's wait for the reports on the differences. If it's enough of a change, we have plenty of time (till September) to come up with the funds
Whos waiting ?......Beta testing seems to be in my future with Pentax......lol.
I just couldn't live without any camera I use NOT having a semi-articulating screen.
02-24-2018, 06:11 AM   #45

Depends on the cost down under but lets be honest a 77 1.8 would upgrade my image quality a lot more then the MKII upgrades. If its on the cheap side then I could get a 43mm instead... I haven't even got near the edges of this beast in the couple months I've had it, merely 1000 images in. For those who have racked up a whole bunch of use I'm sure they'd appreciate it a lot more.

I'm just super happy they offer the service!