Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will you service upgrade your K-1 to K-1 II?
Yes 7431.36%
No 2912.29%
I have not decided yet 9640.68%
Not relevant to me (I have another camera etc) 2811.86%
No. I have a K-1 but will buy a new K-1 II 93.81%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Didn't know Pentax files are compressed. How come they're better quality than majority of other brands?
The compression is lossless ( as a zip file) no quality is lost.

03-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
The compression is lossless ( as a zip file) no quality is lost.
I see. I did notice k-1 files are lighter than d800 files, at least if I'm not mistaken (I used to work with d800 files at work, but that was few years ago).
03-11-2018, 02:42 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Didn't know Pentax files are compressed. How come they're better quality than majority of other brands?
Compression don't necessarily mean loss of image quality. Pentax and most other brands use lossless compression for raw files.
03-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #94

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
And You will ! The PS with motion in the image is one thing my K-1 cant do !
like I said, I'd like to see an example...

03-12-2018, 07:28 PM   #95

I'm very keen for handheld PS, so I'm likely to get it pending available funding from the finance minister. I've already gone all in having sold off my K-5 and crop lenses (well really, it was just the 15 and 18-135) to make the switch to FF. I want to prolong the life of my K-1 as much as possible. If the new chip will bring new life to it, I'll welcome it. Having said that, I think it's $700 here in Australia.
03-14-2018, 01:08 AM - 4 Likes   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will probably wait for the review of the K1-II upgrade from DPR,

and then do the opposite of what they recommend
03-14-2018, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #97
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
K-1 upgrade circuit board or not?
To be perfectly honest for the Old Kerrowdown, I've never shot any images anywhere near to the maximum ISO of 204800 on the current K1 and I can't see for me, a use or need for ISO 819200 as offered on the Mk11.

As a strictly old school manual user of both body and lenses, I can't see any real usable differences for me, to what I call the core functionality of the camera.

My K1s (which I must say I'm perfectly happy with) were purely to obtain FF compatibility on the Pentax digital platform. Namely at the extensive requests of my harem of "Ladies", who all wished to become what they formally were.

All that said I guess I'm not a "gear head", for me it's all still about the image.

03-15-2018, 03:54 AM   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
To be perfectly honest for the Old Kerrowdown, I've never shot any images anywhere near to the maximum ISO of 204800 on the current K1 and I can't see for me, a use or need for ISO 819200 as offered on the Mk11.

As a strictly old school manual user of both body and lenses, I can't see any real usable differences for me, to what I call the core functionality of the camera.

My K1s (which I must say I'm perfectly happy with) were purely to obtain FF compatibility on the Pentax digital platform. Namely at the extensive requests of my harem of "Ladies", who all wished to become what they formally were.

All that said I guess I'm not a "gear head", for me it's all still about the image.
I agree with you 100%. That's quite a collection of "ladies" you have there!
03-15-2018, 02:36 PM   #99
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by heydavemyers Quote
I agree with you 100%
It's only my personal view on the way that I shoot with Pentax, for others I'm sure it's a different story, each to their own.

QuoteOriginally posted by heydavemyers Quote
That's quite a collection of "ladies" you have there!
Thank you, keeping them all in line is not always easy... as I'm often accused of favouritism by the not so used "Ladies".
03-15-2018, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Hey there KD, long time, no chat

I agree that I will probably never find a use for 2 gazillion ISO either, but each improvement in the ceiling would hopefully see a corresponding improvement in the 'usable' ISO ranges circa 100-3200. Maybe this makes 6400 and 128k usable now?

It gets mighty dark up in those highlands, I hear

I'm much more interested in

a, supporting the concept of upgrading camera's rather than have the old body gather dust on my shelf - recycling is the way to go and the K-1 body is as tough and durable as anything ever made by any camera manufacturer.

b, hand held Pixel shift if it works
03-15-2018, 11:28 PM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
b, hand held Pixel shift if it works
For landscape shooters, getting medium format image quality for $500 is a very good deal.
03-15-2018, 11:38 PM - 1 Like   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would do the upgrade...if I had confidence in the people doing the upgrade. Once a camera is opened after/outside the factory, chances are the weather sealing will not be perfect as when the camera was assembled in a controlled factory as part of the manufacturing process.

I've heard too many bad stories about Precision Camera to trust my K1 to them.

If the upgrade gave me better video I might consider it and take the risk.
03-16-2018, 01:09 AM - 2 Likes   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I would do the upgrade...if I had confidence in the people doing the upgrade.
Indeed there is a risk involved. Even for Ricoh to propose such option can turn out bad because there will inevitably be some bad stories. If it was me, my K1 works fine and I don't want to take the risk to skrew it up, so if I want a camera update, I'll sell the K1 and pay the difference for a K1 II brand new.
03-16-2018, 06:07 AM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Indeed there is a risk involved. Even for Ricoh to propose such option can turn out bad because there will inevitably be some bad stories. If it was me, my K1 works fine and I don't want to take the risk to skrew it up, so if I want a camera update, I'll sell the K1 and pay the difference for a K1 II brand new.
Agreed - but having a choice is brilliant. It wouldn’t matter if only 10 people in NA did the upgrade (as long as it works). The idea is outstanding!

I’d bet Ricoh Japan has a tight process design. It comes down to whether Ricoh NA can implement it in USA and Canada (+ CRK in OZ). I’m not so concerned about EU.
03-16-2018, 07:46 AM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Agreed - but having a choice is brilliant. It wouldn’t matter if only 10 people in NA did the upgrade (as long as it works). The idea is outstanding!
I agree that having the choice it a good thing. I would have expected that replacing the main board would be done only in a few cases and most K1 owner would go through sell and by a K1II new, with some price drop on the K1 making K1 a more affordable FF to more people in the market place.