You changed your name?

09-04-2018, 06:25 PM - 7 Likes   #137
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
You changed your name?
"Oh, there's an Australian in the room … you must be our waiter.

Give my regards to that Clackers when you get back to the colonies … he's a ripping bloke!"

Last edited by clackers; 09-04-2018 at 08:19 PM.
09-04-2018, 07:13 PM - 2 Likes   #138
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dang Clackers! You do this CEO stuff rather well! LOL
09-04-2018, 08:44 PM - 2 Likes   #139
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Dang Clackers! You do this CEO stuff rather well! LOL
"Thanks, Mark, my promise to the shareholders is to be the executive running up the greatest travel and meals expenses bill in the corporation's history. I will out eat, out drink, and out snort the Canon CEO by Q2, 2019.

And if the members of your forum can do 60,000 posts next month, I will buy myself another yacht."

Last edited by clackers; 09-04-2018 at 09:36 PM.
09-04-2018, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #140
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
"Thanks, Mark, my promise to the shareholders is to be the executive running up the greatest travel and meals expenses bill in the corporation's history. I will out eat, out drink, and out snort the Canon CEO by Q2, 2019.

And if the members of your forum can do 60,000 posts next month, I will buy myself another yacht."
Brilliant!

Don't knock over the Lafite!
09-05-2018, 12:08 AM - 4 Likes   #141
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You seem so darned familiar. I think I might have worked for you in the early 90s
09-05-2018, 12:23 AM - 6 Likes   #142
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You seem so darned familiar. I think I might have worked for you in the early 90s
You're in IT, too, right? It's terrible when there's a ring of truth about a stereotype!

I have also encountered several times what the Urban Dictionary calls a 'seagull boss' … someone who flies in from a remote location, squawks a lot, craps on everything and leaves.

Last edited by clackers; 09-05-2018 at 01:18 AM.
09-05-2018, 01:31 AM - 4 Likes   #143
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You're in IT, too, right? It's terrible when there's a ring of truth about a stereotype!
A mix of IT development and ops, financial markets operations and business change management (and smatterings of other related stuff, including spells in the front office) Got out of it in 2014 with my mind, conscience, heart and liver still more-or-less intact

I have also encountered several times what the Urban Dictionary calls a 'seagull boss' … someone who flies in from a remote location, squawks a lot, craps on everything and leaves.
Ha ha Yep, and like seagulls, there's a lot of 'em around...
09-05-2018, 03:50 AM - 4 Likes   #144
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mmmm ...... 8 years retired for me this month..... marketing analysis, business development, endless debates over things, meeting after meeting....egos galore..... etc etc so miss it..... all dead to me now....

09-05-2018, 06:00 AM - 4 Likes   #145
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Mmmm ...... 8 years retired for me this month..... marketing analysis, business development, endless debates over things, meeting after meeting....egos galore..... etc etc so miss it..... all dead to me now....
Eight years retirement for me also this summer, and those years seem to have flown by. Strange that as I go slower time goes faster - did Einstein predict that relativity phenomenon?

Philip.
09-05-2018, 06:11 AM - 4 Likes   #146
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Ricoh is a huge company. Pentax is a tiny, tiny part of it and sits in the division known as "Other".

Ricoh may have its problems but is profitable. Indeed producing the same gross profit as Nikon in the last quarter, albeit on a much higher turnover which is not a good sign. These figures are for the company as a whole, not the camera segment. As long as Pentax remains profitable , which it was in the latest quarter Ricoh will let it do it's own thing. Risk is small, capital employed is small, and yes profit is small. It will get hardly a mention at the board meeting.
Exactly. For now, if tea leaves are to be read, it's the ones in the Ricoh cup that should be read.
QuoteQuote:
I think in the current state of the camera industry that is not a bad place to be.
I'm thinking that's a wise assessment. Pentax hasn't been a big player with a lot of muscle for a long time, as in decades. Why jump into a scrum of 800 pound gorillas?
09-05-2018, 09:20 AM - 2 Likes   #147
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Exactly. For now, if tea leaves are to be read, it's the ones in the Ricoh cup that should be read. I'm thinking that's a wise assessment. Pentax hasn't been a big player with a lot of muscle for a long time, as in decades. Why jump into a scrum of 800 pound gorillas?
Yeah, being that small niche player running about in the bushes while the dinosaurs roar, fight and expire might be a brilliant strategy.

Maybe they should even reintroduce a new film camera, get ahead of the new wave retro thing. After some folks are still making money with vinyl records, turntables, ham radio equipment, etc.
09-05-2018, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #148
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Yeah, being that small niche player running about in the bushes while the dinosaurs roar, fight and expire might be a brilliant strategy.
Worked for early mammals. Just sayin'....

QuoteQuote:
Maybe they should even reintroduce a new film camera, get ahead of the new wave retro thing. After some folks are still making money with vinyl records, turntables, ham radio equipment, etc.
You know....in another thread I suggested that Pentax cooperate with Cosina/Voigtlander on re-introducing a select group of their old classic lenses, K's and A's. If they were to reintroduce an MX (simpler than an LX, but better than the K1000), that might catch some people's attention. It would be truly weird in a cool way, could be a limited edition.

Bring back the 6x7 with a few upgrades, maybe use some lighter weight materials....very cool.
09-05-2018, 03:49 PM   #149
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Eight years retirement for me also this summer, and those years seem to have flown by. Strange that as I go slower time goes faster - did Einstein predict that relativity phenomenon?

Philip.
I've become trendy in old age.... everyone is trying to live in the moment...... it's where I am every day.... can't remember where I even placed my keys an hour ago. Just found my 70-200/2.8 after putting it somewhere safe 4 months ago.