Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 192 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2018, 05:05 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
... I rarely see any marketing from Morgan, save for its appearance at motor shows. It continues to sell a moderate number of cars every year, and shows no sign of stopping.

Pentax isn't a dissimilar brand, in my opinion. I'd like to see Ricoh push the brand more, but if what it's doing is in line with commercial expectations, that's fine with me. There will, I suspect, be sufficient demand for the products either way.
Interesting comparison. There's a regular but infrequent Morgan magazine that even makes the newsagents in this far-flung corner of the former Empire. Perhaps Ricoh could think about a similar coffee-table type magazine, but full of pictures and technique, rather than gear, the way the Canon and Nikon specialty magazines are.

02-23-2018, 05:18 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
[...]
I also find it annoying that Tony often says "we" instead of "I". Perhaps he is voicing the chatter and comments on his YouTube channel of his subscribers, but then he should say his subscribers instead of "we" or he should just take ownership of his editorial and say "I".

[...]
Royal we - Wikipedia
02-23-2018, 05:31 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax Marketing lives!

Here is some slick marketing being done by Pentax Germany. It will probably come to the rest of us soon enough. RICOH-PressKit-DE

I really wish forum members would avoid Youtube clickbait style titles for their threads. Lots of misinformation seems to come from careless reading of nothing more than thread titles.
02-23-2018, 05:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andy Fern Quote
Here's Tony Northrup's preview of the K1 mk ii. He pessimistic about the Dynamic pixel shift and AF improvements but probably of more concern is the implication that Pentax marketing is quite dead.
Pentax K-1 Mark II Preview: Handheld Pixel-Shift, 36 MP, $2,000! - YouTube
Tony has been a known Pentax fan for quite some time. Though this seems more like expressing disappointment with Pentax's choice of product revision and marketing.

Last edited by JohnBee; 02-23-2018 at 05:59 AM.
02-23-2018, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's Tony Northrup's preview of the K1 mk ii. He pessimistic about the Dynamic pixel shift and AF improvements but probably of more concern is the implication that Pentax marketing is quite dead
I think that is a rubbish preview from TN.

Have I watched it ? No, but then neither has TN seen a copy of the Camera.
02-23-2018, 06:23 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder how we know about the Pentax MkII, or the 50 and 85 1.4s etc.
02-23-2018, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I also find it annoying that Tony often says "we" instead of "I".
The video is from the Chelsea & Tony channel.

02-23-2018, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More generally about the camera (although the marketing is a reflection of this, perhaps) it occurs to me that people outside of Pentax regulars don't understand that a K-1 mk ii isn't equivalent to, say, a 5D mk ii - it's a mid-term refresh sold at pretty much the same price as the original camera. Tony Northrup's motivation for wanting it to be more (maximum competition driving up quality) is perfectly valid, but in terms of micro competition - that is the IQ of the K-1 mkii vs the D850 or 5D iv or A whatever, this is doing just that, even if it isn't as complete a camera in other ways - that will still be a concern for other manufacturers and users
02-23-2018, 06:41 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
No, but then neither has TN seen a copy of the Camera
Reviewing a camera before it has been released and then criticizing Pentax's marketing - welcome to the wonderful world of YouTube
02-23-2018, 06:58 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's Tony Northrup's preview of the K1 mk ii. He pessimistic about the Dynamic pixel shift and AF improvements but probably of more concern is the implication that Pentax marketing is quite dead.
Pentax K-1 Mark II Preview: Handheld Pixel-Shift, 36 MP, $2,000! - YouTube
Off to my ignore list this goes.
02-23-2018, 07:26 AM - 9 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I have been a Pentax user for 10 years now, I have had every top end APS-C body they have made and have owned every DA* lens they make (and then some) and have to say I totally agree with him. Pentax marketing is crap, it always has been. Another updated AG algorithm? How many do we have to have before we get a new AF module that is even comparable to my 6 year old Canon 7D? The only thing going for the K-1 update IMO is the new pixel shift and if that doesn't work as many people are expecting then I'm really at a loss as to where they will go next.
When is Canon going to make a camera with a sensor as good as a 5 year old Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R point & shoot?

When are Canon & Nikon going to put IBIS (now used for 15 years by other makers) in their cameras??

When is Sony going to make a mirrorless with rugged weather resistance as good as my 10 year old K10D?

When is Fuji, Olympus, or Panasonic going to go full frame (and people say Pentax was late to FF)?

Every one of camera makers focus (ha!) on different types of innovation and are 5-15 years behind in others.. There are no leaders in every technology. Every camera maker excels in some areas and "fails" on others. The challenge for camera buyers is to pick a maker that is aligned with the types of photography they do.

I look at Pentax and see a company that is pushing the frontiers of IQ and ambient light photography. They are expanding the size of the exposure triangle both by enabling slower shutter speeds (via SRII) and enabling higher usable ISO (which permits the use of faster shutter speeds and/or narrower apertures in low EV lighting conditions). The 1 or 2 EV of noise reduction promised by the K-1ii a big innovation. Pixelshift offers an astounding leap in IQ (both resolution and noise) and now Pentax has expanded the usability of Pixelshift.
02-23-2018, 07:35 AM   #27
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, Tony Northrup, you are right. Pentax is dead. It's been dead since the 70s.
That's why we haven't seen a single new product from them since the SP500.
02-23-2018, 07:42 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Reviewing a camera before it has been released and then criticizing Pentax's marketing - welcome to the wonderful world of YouTube
Seems like there's a whole lot of that going on on PF too. Just look at the threads on Asahi man and the K-1ii.
02-23-2018, 08:08 AM   #29
Veteran Member

When you watch / listen to news in the media, do you get something valuable?
News starts at XX and ends at XXX every day, no matter if there is any murder or not, political statement or not etc.
If tony next year does not find anything interesting and then does not publicize anything on Youtube, then he gets to starve.
I do not think it was worthless. But he did not point out that for that price, one does not get a D850 killer.
It seems that Pentax is waiting with USB3, bigger buffer etc for an upcoming camera that costs more. K1 is for us who do not prioritize action and video at an affordable price.
02-23-2018, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
When are Canon & Nikon going to put IBIS (now used for 15 years by other makers) in their cameras??
Maybe never,seeing its in many of their lenses AND its in the lenses of the 3rd party lens makers that support them.

When is Sony going to make a mirrorless with rugged weather resistance as good as my 10 year old K10D?
Probably take the same time to develop as it takes for Pentax to get their PRIMES to market.

When is Fuji, Olympus, or Panasonic going to go full frame (and people say Pentax was late to FF)?
Well, for Fuji,they attacked the weakest point in the market with great success.So much so that the revenue generated will bring a budget MF body to market this year that no one will match for price or quality.Next year they bring the 100mp body to market,i suppose their modern lenses will have expanded from the 6 present ones to around the double figure mark by then.
Olympus and Panasonic share M43,neither need to do FF when they own that segment.Many who are sick of the weight of Dslr love the compactness of some of the bodies and lightweight lenses...Both those companies do some OK video too.Their high res modes are a bit like PS.

Every one of camera makers focus (ha!) on different types of innovation and are 5-15 years behind in others.. There are no leaders in every technology. Every camera maker excels in some areas and "fails" on others. The challenge for camera buyers is to pick a maker that is aligned with the types of photography they do.
Yes,of course...But Pentax is 5-15 years behind in what?..lots,but pixel shift counteracts that?Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder!

Last edited by surfar; 02-23-2018 at 08:45 AM.