Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 192 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2018, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #31
CDW
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I have been a Pentax user for 10 years now, I have had every top end APS-C body they have made and have owned every DA* lens they make (and then some) and have to say I totally agree with him. Pentax marketing is crap, it always has been. Another updated AG algorithm? How many do we have to have before we get a new AF module that is even comparable to my 6 year old Canon 7D? The only thing going for the K-1 update IMO is the new pixel shift and if that doesn't work as many people are expecting then I'm really at a loss as to where they will go next.
I would say a two stop improvement in noise performance is more important than pixel shift improvements to those of us who shoot landscapes/ night sky. If all of your Pentax gear suddenly refuses to do the job for you, sell it and move, stop whining.

02-23-2018, 09:31 AM - 3 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Maybe never,seeing its in many of their lenses AND its in the lenses of the 3rd party lens makers that support them.

Probably take the same time to develop as it takes for Pentax to get their PRIMES to market.

Well, for Fuji,they attacked the weakest point in the market with great success.So much so that the revenue generated will bring a budget MF body to market this year that no one will match for price or quality.Next year they bring the 100mp body to market,i suppose their modern lenses will have expanded from the 6 present ones to around the double figure mark by then.
Olympus and Panasonic share M43,neither need to do FF when they own that segment.Many who are sick of the weight of Dslr love the compactness of some of the bodies and lightweight lenses...Both those companies do some OK video too.Their high res modes are a bit like PS.

Yes,of course...But Pentax is 5-15 years behind in what?..lots,but pixel shift counteracts that?Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder!
Thanks for helping me make my point -- all the different camera makers "attack" different weak points of the other camera makers (and have weak points as well that their customer don't care much about).

Pentax offers 5-axis stabilization on 100% of their lenses old* and new. Canikon & 3rd parties only offers obsolete 4-axis on some of their lenses. Canikon can't do horizon leveling, roll-angle shake stabilization, or astrotracer. Some photographers really want the best stabilization possible and others are fine with limited or no stabilization.

Fuji, Olympus, and Panasonic don't "need" to offer FF just as Pentax does not "need" to offer M43. Different photographers have different opinions on optimal body size and sensor size.

Every photographer has their own definition of what counts as a strength/essential feature and what counts as a weakness/failure. In some cases such as EVF/OVF and even weight what counts as essential to one photographer is considered an failure to another photographer.

You and I may not agree on what makes a camera strong or weak but we can agree that beauty IS in the eye of the beholder!

EDIT: *Technically, only lenses with at least a KAF or better mount get stabilized in all 5 axes but that's almost 3 decades of lenses. Can Canikon owners even use lenses that old? (It's just another strength/weakness issue that matters to some and not others).

Last edited by photoptimist; 02-23-2018 at 10:17 AM. Reason: technical correction
02-23-2018, 11:05 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
(Laughs)

Tony's a knob who told everyone Pentax should never have bothered making a full frame DSLR - remember that!
02-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Here is some slick marketing being done by Pentax Germany. It will probably come to the rest of us soon enough. RICOH-PressKit-DE

I really wish forum members would avoid Youtube clickbait style titles for their threads. Lots of misinformation seems to come from careless reading of nothing more than thread titles.
That is pretty slick.

02-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Originally posted by Mikesul Here is some slick marketing being done by Pentax Germany. It will probably come to the rest of us soon enough. RICOH-PressKit-DE
Very well executed piece of marketing ! ... impressive.
02-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #36

Photos: Gallery | Albums
agree with some parts of tony's comments. Especially on the obvious lack of new FF lenses.
02-23-2018, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First off, some of the name calling going here and talk of blocking people you don't agree with is getting a little ridiculous.

As for Northrup, I've found him to be pretty fair on most topics. He missed the significance of the accelerator chip. But the rest is fair comment.
He was very positive in the past on the K-S2 and named the K-1 his best camera of 2017.

Whether you like him or not he has almost 1 million followers. 15 thousand people already watched his K-1ii impressions, which are not great and entirely predictable.
The fact that Ricoh is completely ignoring outlets like this and didn't get ahead of the game here with people like this kind of sums up their marketing problem.

02-23-2018, 02:14 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
You and I may not agree on what makes a camera strong or weak but we can agree that beauty IS in the eye of the beholder!
Yes,definitely...but we agree on the K-1 being a great photography device and version 2 is exciting.I'm in the wait and see boat,i'm sure it'll be good.Not so sure it will get my wallet open?(for the upgrade).
At this point in time we are blessed with a great variety,and as you say,pick the one that suits your photography style.(i pick multiples)

Recent releases in M/L are getting near the "ideal all round camera"...none have quite reached that yet,its probably happening in the next generation,well thats the way i'm thinking.Shame the EVFs dont get along with you.
02-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(Laughs)

Tony's a knob who told everyone Pentax should never have bothered making a full frame DSLR - remember that!
You're quick to point that out, and while it is true that he said that you fail to say that Tony Northrup gave a very favorable hands on review of the K-1 and other Pentax DSLRs.

He gave his reasons for thinking it was a mistake because he thought it would divert resources from what the Pentax brand has been doing best - APS-C DSLRs.

Given the grumblings on PF about the lack of new lenses and an announcement of a high-end APS-C body to replace the K-3i/K-3ii it seems he may have a point there.
02-23-2018, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
you fail to say that Tony Northrup gave a very favorable hands on review of the K-1 and other Pentax DSLRs.
It wasn't favourable, NaN.

He decided it was impossible to photograph a car with a K-1. He said there were no lenses for it, complete with a ridiculous chart ignoring 40 years of products, both new and used. He was his usual superficial, YouTuber self. You can buy these ridiculous vloggers, the way Sony did to Jason Lanier or Fuji did with Zak Arias, but Ricoh just doesn't play that game.

You're better off learning your photography from almost anyone else.

Oddly, Northrup actually knew what he was talking about when it came to Windows system administration - he has my money from several books of his.

Last edited by clackers; 02-23-2018 at 04:21 PM.
02-24-2018, 02:41 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Here is some slick marketing being done by Pentax Germany. It will probably come to the rest of us soon enough. RICOH-PressKit-DE
RICOH-PressKit-DE

In this PressKit is an observation which caught my attention. Whether the writer had practical experience in this regard cannot be confirmed, but he writes:

...zudem wurde die Leistung des autfokus verbessert und damit auch die bewegungserkennung genau wie die fokussiergeschwindigkeit und genauigkeit.
end of Quote

translation courtesy of Google translate
In addition, performance of the autofocus has been improved and with it motion detection as well as the focusing speed and accuracy.

Time will tell.
02-24-2018, 03:56 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are two separate issues. One is whether the K1 II has a purpose and is beneficial to the Pentax ecosystem. I would say for that, it does and that it reaffirms a commitment to the K mount and improves an already good camera. They still need lenses and there are clearly other projects they are working on, but from the appearance of things, this is going to give an extra stop of high iso performance to an already excellent camera. That could put the K1 II into medium format territory with regard to high iso performance.

The second issue is marketing. It is nothing new to say that Pentax doesn't market very well. I understand not buying billboards or TV ads, but I'm still not sure why they can't use social media better, have a you tube channel. Even stuff like the Pentax Photo Gallery has been sort of half heartedly paid attention to -- either ditch it or make it something worthwhile.

As for Tony Northup, he will talk about anything that will get clicks for his stream, but I can't say his review of the K-1 was particularly positive. He certainly isn't the one I would go to for input on Pentax's future any more than I would look at Thom Hogan's blog for the future of Fuji cameras.
02-24-2018, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Tony Who ? Did GOD just speak ? He's just another talking U-Tube Head........
02-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #44

For what it's worth, Tony's review was the review that basically ended up selling me on the K1. If you think his review was negative, you should see some of the other ones that were out there.
02-24-2018, 04:59 PM - 2 Likes   #45

Hi,

Link for Pentax K-1 II Prees kit in english:

PENTAX K-1 II - PxP PressKit | PENTAXever.com