Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Excellent point....however....the mass market these days is not even Canon DSLR, mirrorless, or even P&S owners.
Disclaimer for fairness: the point is not entirely mine, rather what I believe to be some kind of consensus that formed in a discussion (in which I took part) on an Italian forum.

Your point is quite valid as well.

03-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #92
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
I am not at all au fait with marketing,
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'd call it speculative bashing
I leave out other comments for space reasons.

I fully agree with your statements, this is 360-degree speculation, we do not need magicians or easy prophecies of our friend "Tony".
As long as there is a Pentax camera in production I will continue to buy and or use it. Then everyone is free to choose what he or she likes,
the future of photography has yet to be written, we don't know what awaits us in 1... 5... 20... years,
one thing is certain when I got married I knew I would stay with my wife forever, so it was.
03-18-2018, 03:28 PM   #93
Veteran Member

I was at healthcare IT conference two weeks ago and stopped by the Ricoh booth. I was told that they are focusing more on shifting from camera and photocopy business into healthcare. They will continue to support the brand, but no intention of major changes at the level of competitors.
03-18-2018, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #94
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
I was at healthcare IT conference two weeks ago and stopped by the Ricoh booth. I was told that they are focusing more on shifting from camera and photocopy business into healthcare. They will continue to support the brand, but no intention of major changes at the level of competitors.
Was this a Ricoh Imaging booth? I ask because there are numerous diverse divisions within Ricoh Global (the large group company), and I'd be awfully surprised if a healthcare-focused IT division knew anything about the Imaging division's plans, in the same way that I wouldn't expect the photography business to know much much about the photocopier business's plans... I could be wrong, of course...

03-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Was this a Ricoh Imaging booth? I ask because there are numerous diverse divisions within Ricoh Global (the large group company), and I'd be awfully surprised if a healthcare-focused IT division knew anything about the Imaging division's plans, in the same way that I wouldn't expect the photography business to know much much about the photocopier business's plans... I could be wrong, of course...
Mike,
It was their healthcare division; however, their main focus was on Ricoh Imaging. i.e. their camera use in healthcare in particular care coordination. Initially, I thought the same thing that their rep may not know as much about their imaging section, but then when I talked with her in more detail, she actually provided very valuable information. At the end of the day, these are the divisions Ricoh heavily relies on, so it makes sense they know how much investment they will put into less income generated section of the company, i.e. Pentax cameras. On the bright side, Pentax will still be in the market

Last edited by Pentax_WA; 03-18-2018 at 06:39 PM.
03-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #96
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Mike,
It was their healthcare division; however, their main focus was on Ricoh Imaging. i.e. their camera use in healthcare in particular care coordination. Initially, I thought the same thing that their rep may not know as much about their imaging section, but then when I talked with her in more detail, she actually provided very valuable information. At the end of the day, these are the divisions the Ricoh heavily relies on, so it makes sense they know how much investment they will put into less income generated section of the company, i.e. Pentax cameras. On the bright side, Pentax will still be in the market
Interesting... thanks for that

I still have my doubts as to how close a rep from another division can be to plans within another division (especially in areas that aren't directly related to them)... but maybe there's some truth in it. Either way, I don't think there are any surprises here. Ricoh Imaging clearly hasn't been chasing Nikon, Canon, Sony or others for some time and seems to be progressing within its own niche, and to its own schedule. The recent CP+ Q&A session with Ricoh Imaging gave us a reasonable view of the state of play and their future intentions, and that's the best indicator we have for now as to how things will develop in the near future...
03-19-2018, 04:27 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Ricoh cannot exactly shift their focus from camera business to healthcare, as their focus is not on cameras.
I don't know how to interpret this (and it's even more difficult as it wasn't me who discussed with that rep). But I would take everything that was said in the context of the Ricoh's healthcare business.
So they're using Ricoh Imaging technologies to set things up? And printing technologies (e.g. to replicate human tissue?)

03-19-2018, 02:43 PM - 2 Likes   #98
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh cannot exactly shift their focus from camera business to healthcare, as their focus is not on cameras.
I don't know how to interpret this (and it's even more difficult as it wasn't me who discussed with that rep). But I would take everything that was said in the context of the Ricoh's healthcare business.
So they're using Ricoh Imaging technologies to set things up? And printing technologies (e.g. to replicate human tissue?)
Ricoh's Healthcare business is an IT company. It does not even deal with medical imaging like Ricoh-Imaging's medical imaging systems such as Picasso. Having spoken to a Ricoh staff member with quite a senior role in the company's IT business, I'd confirm that they have absolutely nothing to do with Ricoh-Imaging's camera business - and in fact, know nothing about it.

I would be very surprised if that has suddenly changed.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 03-19-2018 at 03:09 PM.
03-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #99
Pentaxian

Wait, Ricoh Imaging's gastroscopy and colonoscopy scopes? Do they have such things? That part of Pentax stayed with Hoya...
03-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #100
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wait, Ricoh Imaging's gastroscopy and colonoscopy scopes? Do they have such things? That part of Pentax stayed with Hoya...
Sorry - my mistake - I've corrected my post.
08-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #101

hello everyone,

I know this may be late, but I wanted to share my opinion, even although I don't have Pentax, but I'm here because I'm thinking to buy one.

First of all Tony Northrup is known for his Canon supporter, and you will find him in every video praising and mention Canon.

Secondly it is clear to me in the video he is calling Pentax to make a deal, because the video started with "I didn't try it" and ended "I wanna help you" and I'm sure this help not for free, "Pentax channel in Youtube has 7k sub" while he has more than 1M.

but I agree with him, according to my personal view Pentax has the best DSLR and the worst marketing.
08-22-2018, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #102
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Dark ISO Quote
hello everyone,

I know this may be late, but I wanted to share my opinion, even although I don't have Pentax, but I'm here because I'm thinking to buy one.

First of all Tony Northrup is known for his Canon supporter, and you will find him in every video praising and mention Canon.

Secondly it is clear to me in the video he is calling Pentax to make a deal, because the video started with "I didn't try it" and ended "I wanna help you" and I'm sure this help not for free, "Pentax channel in Youtube has 7k sub" while he has more than 1M.

but I agree with him, according to my personal view Pentax has the best DSLR and the worst marketing.
Good deduction. In France there is a saying: "pour vivre heureux, vivre caché" which could be translated as: "to live happy, live hidden"... Pentax is doing just that, no need for all that marketing stuff, we all know that we have the good gear, we keep it to ourselves and we only let others enter the "zone" as we see fit. Pentax products are what they are because they keep it quiet. Open it up and it will sink.
08-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I have been a Pentax user for 10 years now, I have had every top end APS-C body they have made and have owned every DA* lens they make (and then some) and have to say I totally agree with him. Pentax marketing is crap, it always has been. Another updated AG algorithm? How many do we have to have before we get a new AF module that is even comparable to my 6 year old Canon 7D? The only thing going for the K-1 update IMO is the new pixel shift and if that doesn't work as many people are expecting then I'm really at a loss as to where they will go next.
I for one am glad you are so rich many of us cannot afford so much, anyway shoot the messenger because you dont like the message
08-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Pentax marketing is one of the worst as I said many times and sadly the brand will be out of business soon unless some other major brands buy Pentax out.
08-22-2018, 09:32 PM   #105
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax marketing is one of the worst as I said many times and sadly the brand will be out of business soon unless some other major brands buy Pentax out.
Yes, their marketing in our markets is poor.

How do you deduct, from that, that...
....the brand will be out of business soon unless some other major brands buy Pentax out.
Ricoh has deep pockets. How would another owner be any better for Pentax? How, or where, is any evidence that they will be out of business soon?

Last edited by MarkJerling; 08-22-2018 at 09:41 PM.