Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
Forum Member

Who's using the K1 and tilting the sensor ?

Hey Guys,
Who's using the K1 and tilting the sensor ?
you know, you can use the K1 and shift/tilt the sensor to tilt the plane of focus like on a view camera and I just wanted to find out if it's enough tilt to get the desired effect.

Anybody ?

cheers
Stephan

02-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found it not giving me anything amazing in interior photography. It's useful, can shift the plane a bit and straighten some of the lines, but not dramatically (like a proper ts lens). Also, with rokinon 14 if you tilt all the way it shows a bit of the lens hood.

Don't think it does that with dfa 15-30.

Haven't tried with other lenses yet.
02-25-2018, 11:46 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Actually, the sensor on the K-1 does not tilt the sensor like you can with a view camera. The K-1 can shift the sensor up-down & left-right (see the "Composition Adjust" feature) and it can rotate the sensor about the optical axis (see "Horizon Leveling) and use both these features together for SR and astrotracer. The 5-axis SR system can compensate for camera shake motions that slightly wobble tilt or swing the camera but it does this with the same sensor-sliding motion as used in "Composition Adjust."

MIkeSF has shown that Composition Adjust does produce a noticeable effect with UWA lenses (Composition Adjustment/Sensor Shift...are you using it? - PentaxForums.com )

It's like having a ±1.5mm shift on all your lenses.
02-25-2018, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
photoptimist, Thanks for sharing this, and OP thanks for asking.
I had not clocked that it could be used for perspective correction in camera, as MikeSF has so ably demonstrated. So that's another feature on my try out list

02-26-2018, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I used sensor shifting almost in every final composition I took with K-1. Now I do the same with KP where it is a bit more limited but almost as good. It is not about few mm of shift (try Canon TS-E lenses sometime / real view camera) but altering the aspect ratio of frame. Maximum up/down shift gives combined frame with superb ~4:3 ratio. This why I just made a thread about shift bracketing on the feedback forum.