Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2018, 07:51 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The IBIS System captures all the natural motions of the 4 hand held images in the 5 axes. The camera software - perhaps using the Accelerator Unit - aligns and combines the 4 images using the motion data captured by the IBIS system. It isnít PixelShift - it is Enhanced Resolution created in-camera, using the external motion info to create the enhanced (SuperResolution) Image. The enhancement process occurs after the 4 images were captured, so they could presumably be captured at the absolute fastest fps the camera can handle.
So basically stacking. I wonder a couple of things:

Would the 4 image stack be available in raw in one DNG or PEF? I realize one could just do a bracket of several shots on one's own, of course, and stack them with Ps or dedicated stacking software. But maybe not the same: I'd assume that the sensor metadata is used by the camera to stack the images and make use of the increased info, and to remove motion artifacts. That is something that just a bracket of four images isn't likely to contain (although I dunno if exif records that, or if anything outside the camera can make use of that data if it is in the image file). IOW, PP software can do a lot with just the image data, but I assume the metadata could make it that much more efficient and/or effective. But I'm just guessing.

But that leads me to the second question, whether whatever software is provided with the camera could do dynamic PS in post processing on such a stack or file. Or Rawtherapee.

03-01-2018, 09:55 AM   #32
On Hiatus. Back Later.
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
So basically stacking. I wonder a couple of things:

Would the 4 image stack be available in raw in one DNG or PEF? I realize one could just do a bracket of several shots on one's own, of course, and stack them with Ps or dedicated stacking software. But maybe not the same: I'd assume that the sensor metadata is used by the camera to stack the images and make use of the increased info, and to remove motion artifacts. That is something that just a bracket of four images isn't likely to contain (although I dunno if exif records that, or if anything outside the camera can make use of that data if it is in the image file). IOW, PP software can do a lot with just the image data, but I assume the metadata could make it that much more efficient and/or effective. But I'm just guessing.

But that leads me to the second question, whether whatever software is provided with the camera could do dynamic PS in post processing on such a stack or file. Or Rawtherapee.
I donít think we know the answers yet and I donít know whether the camera stacks a raw or just a single jpeg but Iím pretty sure weíll know very soon.
03-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am guessing this is only compatible with 5 axis sr so isn't that only with af lenses? Pity if so because of all the compact earlier lenses. I thought i read 5axis needs data from af.
03-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #34
Pentaxian

The camera can already do auto alignment of pictures (in HDR mode), and it can also stack images with multi exposure and blending set to average.
So MAYBE they have just combined these two functions to get stacking with image alignment, now also know as dynamic pixel shift. (I'm of course speculating...)

03-01-2018, 12:09 PM   #35
On Hiatus. Back Later.
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
The camera can already do auto alignment of pictures (in HDR mode), and it can also stack images with multi exposure and blending set to average.
So MAYBE they have just combined these two functions to get stacking with image alignment, now also know as dynamic pixel shift. (I'm of course speculating...)
Isnít stacking and HDR a tripod only function? This is handheld using the motion data from the IBIS sensors to align the images. I think using the motion data is new.
03-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Isn’t stacking and HDR a tripod only function? This is handheld using the motion data from the IBIS sensors to align the images. I think using the motion data is new.
Stacking is tripod only. HDR has an option for "Auto align" so supposedly does work handheld, and it produces a raw image.
I don't know how good i works though. Maybe one should give it a try?

Edit, No wait, the RAW file is three times the normal size. The alignment might only be for jpeg output or something. I obviously don't know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Gimbal; 03-01-2018 at 02:19 PM.
03-06-2018, 01:39 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
What other lightweight premium-quality lenses do you think will become popular in the DPS mode on the upcoming Pentax K1ii camera?
Hi,
I should try DPS when upgrading to K-1 MKII for:

- Leica-R 28/2.8 (II)
- Leica-R Macro 60/2.8
- Leica-R 90/2 AA
- Leica-R Apo-Telyt-Modular 280/2.8 with Leica-R Apo Extender 1.4x. (it's not lightweight but it's a terrific combo)..