Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2018, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #16

From the K-1 Special Site regarding the mark II:

Challengers | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING
QuoteQuote:
The development of an original accelerator unit was underway at the same time as the development of the PENTAX K-1. This accelerator unit was incorporated into the PENTAX K-70 and PENTAX KP — APS-C-format digital SLR models which would later be marketed — and was highly acclaimed for its outstanding performance. The team felt that, if we took advantage of the knowledge gained by installing the accelerator into these APS-C-format models and installed it in the PENTAX K-1, we would be able to upgrade the camera’s imaging performance in the high-sensitivity range (an important factor in the shooting of dimly lit scenes) without compromising its remarkable resolving power, essential to the reproduction of fine details in field photography. The Product Planning and Development teams also felt that this technology was the key to the camera’s evolution. As expected, the accelerator unit incorporated into the PENTAX K-1 Mark II not only helped achieve the super-high top sensitivity of ISO 819200 by employing the combination of the PRIME IV imaging engine and the 35mm full-frame sensor, but also greatly improved image quality at normal sensitivity ranges.

The Pixel Shift Resolution System, the latest super-resolution technology, was also brought up to a new peak. Handheld shooting using the Pixel Shift Resolution System was one feature that the Product Development Team wanted to incorporate into the PENTAX K-1 Mark II. In fact, the Development Team was working on this feature even before the Product Planning Team proposed the idea. When a revolutionary, unconventional mechanism was finally designed, it even impressed the Product Planning Team — who knew every detail of camera design —with its technical intricacy and imagination involved. This upgraded system improved other camera functions as well, such as AF tracking accuracy, making the PENTAX K-1 Mark II much more versatile in field photography.
(emphasis mine).

02-27-2018, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #17

I am optimistic the focusing will be better and if that is the case I will upgrade the camera. The K-1 has the poorest focus of any digital camera that I owned even worse than cameras made 17 years ago (Minolta DiMAGE 7). I have taken several pictures that are out of focus with the K-1. The same cannot be said for the Minolta DiMAGE 7 that I had and the Nikon D70 and Nikon D300. All my train pictures were in focus with those cameras. So I am hoping the board will resolve the issue. I like the K-1 very much. I started playing with the pixel shift and HDR and really like those features, and will be using those features quite a bit when taking scenic pictures. I also like the Pentax lenses I purchased.
02-27-2018, 07:10 PM   #18
ne!
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kmarceau Quote
Ne - what video?
Can you post a link to this video you found on the Ricoh Special site? (I can't find it anywhere)
Hi, I just looked and I can't find it either! It was a video highlighting the PRIME IV and new accelerator chip if I recall correctly,

At the end it showed one of those vertical sliders A/B'ing the same shot between the K-1 and the K-1 MkII at 12,800 ISO-- the noise level on the K-1 looked about what you'd expect, whereas the MkII side looked to my eyes like 2,500 ISO does on my K-1, which I shoot a lot.
02-27-2018, 08:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Based on the video I saw of the comparison I think I may do it because I use mine for astrophotography a lot. I wonder how much of a difference it will make on video since video is how you do lunar and planetary.

02-27-2018, 08:59 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it’ll be worth it. My plan is to upgrade my K1 and get the mark II when the silver body comes out. I really need to put some of my equipment in the marketplace.
02-27-2018, 10:10 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Initially, no - since it appeared to me that the mkII was all about extremely high ISO. The better AF would be nice, but not really necessary for me. The upgrade option was what caught my attention - and got me interested in what this "Acceleration Chip" (AC) was and what it offered. To me, the MkII's primary significance appears to be the integration of the AC, with its inherent noise reduction, better details, better colors and better dynamic range. If it really delivers in RAW, then I will gladly upgrade my 6 months old K1.

02-27-2018, 11:24 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have two K-1's and a bunch of FF glass - so I'm pretty much all-in too.
I'll upgrade my black one first, and depending on the result I'll consider what to do with my silver one.
I will, however, keep my KP and a handful of crop lenses, but will most likely sell my medium format kit.

02-28-2018, 04:26 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I pre-ordered the K-1ll for the autofocus improvement with FA Limiteds and the new zooms.
Is there really any improvement in AF? It's still SAFOX 12 which is basically the same as SAFOX 11 with a few extra points for full frame coverage.
02-28-2018, 04:50 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Is there really any improvement in AF? It's still SAFOX 12 which is basically the same as SAFOX 11 with a few extra points for full frame coverage.
The big question. From what I have read they have rewritten the focus algorithms and included some AI into the program too. That is where the speed gains are supposed to come from. Maybe the problem the problem is not the SAFOX system itself, but getting a better handle on the firmware. All will be revealed soon.
02-28-2018, 04:58 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
hey have rewritten the focus algorithms and included some AI into the program too.
This should be added to the K-1 firmware then since it is just software.
02-28-2018, 05:37 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ll know in about six weeks.
02-28-2018, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This should be added to the K-1 firmware then since it is just software.
Maybe, maybe not. The camera firmware versions that we download and upgrade is not all the firmware in the camera. There is also firmware residing at lower levels in various sub systems in the camera. Upgrading these may only be possible except by replacing a chip or connecting to a dedicated connector on the board. To do this you would have to open up the camera.

It would not surprise me if the SAFOX module is self contained with very limited communication with the rest of the camera. All it needs is to be told to focus and then send out a focus confirmation signal when it thinks that it has completed the command. All this is speculation as to why a firmware upgrade may not affect focus operation. I simply do not know how the camera works at that level. This is speculation based upon almost three decades of supporting equipment in the field. .

I used to have to do these type of updates and I always dreaded them. It is much easier a brick the device when playing at the lower levels. I used to work on laser imaging devices that imaged printing plates. On difficult upgrades I would often carry a set of upgraded circuit boards with me for just this reason. I never wanted to be responsible for stopping the presses. Customers really hated that for some reason.

Why not just replace the boards at these customers? Customers without service agreements never wanted to pay for the new boards either.
02-28-2018, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GMounk Quote
The K-1 has the poorest focus of any digital camera that I owned even worse than cameras made 17 years ago (Minolta DiMAGE 7).
Not my, or many others experience. I'm not saying it's the best out there, but I am not having the kind of problems you seem to be
QuoteQuote:
I have taken several pictures that are out of focus with the K-1.
Somehow, I find this statement funny....but it matches my experience exactly!
02-28-2018, 11:49 AM   #29
Pentaxian

The K1 had the new SAFOX12 and K1 II has the improved new SAFOX 12.
02-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The K1 had the new SAFOX12 and K1 II has the improved new SAFOX 12.
The SAFOX is not on the main board, so it is just the same as in the K-1