Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2018, 12:27 PM   #31
ne!
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kmarceau Quote
Ne - what video?
Can you post a link to this video you found on the Ricoh Special site? (I can't find it anywhere)
As I mentioned I couldn’t locate the video, but there is an image at this link which shows the side-by-side comparison I saw in the video...

Pentax K-1 Mark II Announced | ISO 819,200 & Hand-Held Pixel Shift | SLR Lounge

02-28-2018, 12:27 PM - 3 Likes   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GMounk Quote
The K-1 has the poorest focus of any digital camera that I owned even worse than cameras made 17 years ago (Minolta DiMAGE 7).
Glenn, are you an expert?

I went to your linked Facebook page.

I saw your photos, including the one from just a couple of months ago where you say, "I have to work on my technique ... I may practice on cars going down streets. I think I found out what I have to do differently."

Let's put the blame where it belongs, mate!
02-28-2018, 01:48 PM - 4 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is why I will be upgrading ...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/190-pentax-k-1-k-1-ii/388879d1519850822-worthy-buying-k-1-ii-having-already-k-1-pentax-k-1-mark-ii-comparison.jpg
Attached Images

03-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GMounk Quote
I have taken several pictures that are out of focus with the K-1.
I never had this issue since I manual focuse....
I do not know if it is worth upgrading the K-1 as I am already convinced by the MKI. I am not like everyone since I use Leica-R lenses on it. I don't use AutoFocus, and this camera is all I need, the best one I can find with IBIS/SR (the only OVF FF one on the market), Pixel Shift mode, excellent price quality ratio. Pentax Software draws the quintessence of the old 2012 Sony 36Mp sensor as no one. I do not feel any need to upgrade it.
Actually, I do not need high Isos, IMHO it is just a marketing ploy as I am concerned. I am interested in new Dynamic Pixel Shift mode without a tripod and the way the MKII can manage better color and low Isos thanks to co-processor... MKII's firmware should be upgraded longer than MKI with more options IMHO... That's why I shall upgrade it...

03-09-2018, 01:26 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm upgrading my K-1. Can't say no to better low-light raws.
Question, does the in body noise reduction do any better of a job than what we can do in post? Ive never read up on how that all works but I get the feeling it would matter more for jpg or anyone doing batch editing with out time to adjust noise reduction in each frame?
03-09-2018, 02:35 AM   #36
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Greenneck Quote
Question, does the in body noise reduction do any better of a job than what we can do in post? Ive never read up on how that all works but I get the feeling it would matter more for jpg or anyone doing batch editing with out time to adjust noise reduction in each frame?
Because the accelerator chip processes the signal before it goes through PRIME, it also improves raw image quality. The increase in IQ would be to comparable to what you see under "RAW Noise" below:

Pentax K-70 Review - Sharpness & Noise | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Given the increase in noise/color performance overall, there might be situations in which shooting in raw is no longer as critical.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-09-2018, 05:17 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Because the accelerator chip processes the signal before it goes through PRIME, it also improves raw image quality. The increase in IQ would be to comparable to what you see under "RAW Noise" below:

Given the increase in noise/color performance overall, there might be situations in which shooting in raw is no longer as critical.
Well, thanks for that post with the link to the K-70. If this winds up being the case for the new upgrade for the K1-K1mkII, then I'll have a number of occasions when I will be able to shoot jpg's again. My shooting at work involves lower light levels, which for the static images is no problem---just use the tripod. But increasingly I'm having to do some run-and-gun documentary stuff for installations, some of which needs to be turned around rapidly for publicity. Maybe I can dial in my jpg's where I want them now (although shooting underexposed, might as well shoot raws as I'll have to process anyway...).

03-09-2018, 05:17 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, thanks for that post with the link to the K-70. If this winds up being the case for the new upgrade for the K1-K1mkII, then I'll have a number of occasions when I will be able to shoot jpg's again. My shooting at work involves lower light levels, which for the static images is no problem---just use the tripod. But increasingly I'm having to do some run-and-gun documentary stuff for installations, some of which needs to be turned around rapidly for publicity. Maybe I can dial in my jpg's where I want them now (although shooting underexposed, might as well shoot raws as I'll have to process anyway...).
03-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #39

So that means the signal to noise ratio would be better before generating the image data and therefore have greater detail than when we need to remove noise from a generated image in post?
03-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #40
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Greenneck Quote
So that means the signal to noise ratio would be better before generating the image data and therefore have greater detail than when we need to remove noise from a generated image in post?
Yes.

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
When it comes to detail and color accuracy, your JPEGs would definitely turn out better.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-03-2018, 11:51 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Here is one of the first tests under real conditions of the Pentax K-1 II in french, but translation softwares can help you.

[Test] Pentax K-1 II
06-08-2018, 12:42 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Hello,
my upraded K-1 to K-1 II came back a few days ago and what is very noticeable is Live View refresh rate which is very good now...
06-08-2018, 05:31 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I see no such improvement in LV. Both are similarly laggy when zooming in and browsing around in dim light.
06-08-2018, 05:47 AM   #44
Veteran Member

It's better on mine.
06-08-2018, 06:51 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I think this is special case. Both are more than fine in normal daylight but in dim light refresh rate gets sluggish. Same happens with other brands too.

Sony even has "Bright Monitoring" option which is actually godlike feature in moon and starlight. If enabled, refresh rate drops to only few fps but each frame is actually exposed much longer and you can see what happens...bright framing in very low light. This is only enabled in R2 and R3. Nikon has similar feature in D810A and Pentax could make it in FW upgrade. Canon users get it in Magic Lantern (display gain).