Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2018, 01:25 PM   #1

Is it worthy buying the K-1 II having already the K-1?

Do you think is it worthy? If you'd have the money, would you buy the Mark II as well and having both?

02-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes. Gives me the opportunity to pass along one of my lesser cameras to my family members.
02-27-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I prefer to have two bodies, one FF and one APS-C. So, for me I see no need to buy the K-1 MKii in addition to my K-1. While the K-1 MKii does seem to have some good new features, nothing I have seen so far indicates it is something I would want to have in addition to the K-1.

Now I might sell the K-1 and buy the K-1 MKii or upgrade the K-1, but having both makes no sense to me. YMMV.
02-27-2018, 01:54 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just pre-ordered it yesterday. So yes for me. I still have a K3, K5 and K5-IIs. I need to start placing stuff in the marketplace.

02-27-2018, 02:00 PM - 5 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m keeping my K-1 for manual focus lenses and in case it is better for Astro or Macro. I pre-ordered the K-1ll for the autofocus improvement with FA Limiteds and the new zooms.

I’m selling KP and all my APSc lenses (plus some unused F and FA).

Maybe I’m nuts but I’m all-in FF.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-27-2018 at 02:52 PM.
02-27-2018, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #6
ne!
Forum Member

I found the Ricoh Mark II “special site” and there is a video with an example of its low-light performance at 12,800 ISO, it’s shocking so I’m upgrading my K-1.

Also, Ricoh says focusing on the new model is vastly superior to the original— I’ve never had an issue focusing my primes but I’ll take it nonetheless!
02-27-2018, 02:17 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by alvaro_garcia Quote
Do you think is it worthy? If you'd have the money, would you buy the Mark II as well and having both?
I'm upgrading my K-1. Can't say no to better low-light raws.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What video

Ne - what video?
Can you post a link to this video you found on the Ricoh Special site? (I can't find it anywhere)
02-27-2018, 02:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

No.
Maybe an upgrade to get the improved iso (the hopefully improved low iso, not the 8 billion iso). But first I need more info about the "accelerator" chip, what exactly is it it does? And real word comparisons between normal K1 and an upgraded K1. Then, if i'm impressed, I will go for the upgrade.
02-27-2018, 03:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Too early to tell. For my purposes, it looks like a minor upgrade at this stage. I would be happy to be proven wrong.
02-27-2018, 03:30 PM   #11

I will wait until the AF is tested and compared with the current K1. If there is a measurable improvement then I would consider upgrade or buying it as a second camera and keeping the k1.
02-27-2018, 03:52 PM - 4 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

I'm all full frame these days too.

I think having both a K1 and a K1ii makes a lot of sense (if you can afford it).

First, I'll be using my K1 for pixel shift tripod work, and K1ii for pixel shift handheld work.

Second, having both cameras will allow me to use one of them as a backup. I'm a big believer in having a back up camera with you at all times.

I also believe that a good photographer must master their equipment to the point where using it becomes instinctual - automatic - without thinking.

I don't fully master a new digital camera until I've shot at least 10,000 photos with it. Therefore, I always want a back up camera that's exactly the same as my main camera. If I'm not shooting the exact same back up camera, I find myself thinking too much about the technology/buttons/settings/displays and not singularly focusing on the composition/art.

That's why I'd never have an APS-C camera back up a full frame camera.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 02-27-2018 at 03:59 PM.
02-27-2018, 03:59 PM - 2 Likes   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I'm all full frame these days too. K1 for pixel shift tripod work, and K1ii for pixel shift handheld work.

I'm a big believer in having a back up camera with you at all times.

I also believe that a good photographer must master their equipment to the point where using it becomes instinctual - automatic - without thinking.

I don't fully master a new digital camera until I've shot at least 10,000 photos with it. Therefore, I always want a back up camera that's exactly the same as my main camera. If I'm not shooting the exact same back up camera, I find myself thinking too much about the technology/buttons/settings/displays and not singularly focusing on the composition/art.

That's why I'd never have an APS-C camera back up a full frame camera.
It makes much sense.
02-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is it worth it to you to have two cameras? (Do you depend on your camera for your livelihood and can't afford to be without a camera? Do you find yourself in situations where switching lenses is impossible or too onerous?)

If you already had the K-1ii, would you buy an old K-1 as backup?

If you only need one camera but want a K-1ii, a really excellent option is Ricoh's announced upgrade service (Ricoh announces an upgrade service for current PENTAX K-1 consumers) which will convert your K-1 into a K-1ii for $550.
02-27-2018, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No, for me. But that's because my best camera is my Z, with the K1 as a backup. I'd already determined that it wasn't worth upgrading....UNTIL I saw the $550 offer to send in your old K1 for a refresh. THAT I will do, barring some bad news about the upgrade and/or K1II.

That said---I think people are being overly optimistic about the AF improvements, the DPS, and maybe even the better iso performance. It looks like the better iso performance may be real, at least maybe 1-1.5 stop improvement. If it's 2 I'll be thrilled. AF is not very important to me, the K1 works well enough for what I do (in side by side shooting I thought it was as good as the 5DmkIV in low light, non-movement situations). I have yet to use pixel shift, even though it is tailor made for what I do, so we'll see about DPS.