Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My K-1 problems

Some of you may remember I broke my K-1 a couple of years ago when it was only a couple of weeks old. My tripod fell over and cracked the top and I had it replaced by Precision for their standard repair rate, about $300. I got it back and all was well for a year and a half.
Then I noticed a persistent crescent-shaped sensor spot. I tried to clean it but it wouldn't not budge so I tried sending it to KEH for a deep clean. They could not get the spot off either so they returned it to me saying the particle was under a filter and it needed factory service.
I sent it to Precision, but due to my own error, it wasn't THE Precision, it was a different camera repair place that also does some Pentax work like KEH does. They called to say the same that KEH had said and they needed to send it to the other Precision (this is when I realized my error, duh).

So I had them send it along and I thought since it was going in anyway, to have the mount checked as it seemed slightly loose when a big heavy lens is mounted. If I was going to have to pay another $300 I might as well get everything attended to.

Today I got a call from Precision (the one who sent my camera to the other Precision) to get authorization for repairs which were going to be more than $1000 and include replacing the main PCB.

This is for a spot on the sensor and a possible loose mount (which I suspect now both were caused by the original fall when the camera was new, the crescent shaped spot being some threads that ripped out of the plastic top part that was originally replaced). I cannot fathom why a new PCB would be required or how they came to that conclusion. I asked the woman I spoke with to clarify why the other Precision wants to do this and she has to check and call me back. She said the other Precision typically gives very little information like this back to them.

Ugh. I like this system but stuff like this is enough to make me want to change to something else. I'm hoping this gets worked out and is just a misunderstanding but based on some other horror stories I have heard I'm bracing myself for disappointment.

If I really needed a new PCB I'd probably just get the K-1 ii upgrade and save some money (50%!) over the quoted price, but I seriously doubt I need that work done and if I did I bet I'd still have a loose mount and a spot on my sensor afterward.

Pretty frustrating!

02-27-2018, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Some of you may remember I broke my K-1 a couple of years ago when it was only a couple of weeks old. My tripod fell over and cracked the top and I had it replaced by Precision for their standard repair rate, about $300. I got it back and all was well for a year and a half.
Then I noticed a persistent crescent-shaped sensor spot. I tried to clean it but it wouldn't not budge so I tried sending it to KEH for a deep clean. They could not get the spot off either so they returned it to me saying the particle was under a filter and it needed factory service.
I sent it to Precision, but due to my own error, it wasn't THE Precision, it was a different camera repair place that also does some Pentax work like KEH does. They called to say the same that KEH had said and they needed to send it to the other Precision (this is when I realized my error, duh).

So I had them send it along and I thought since it was going in anyway, to have the mount checked as it seemed slightly loose when a big heavy lens is mounted. If I was going to have to pay another $300 I might as well get everything attended to.

Today I got a call from Precision (the one who sent my camera to the other Precision) to get authorization for repairs which were going to be more than $1000 and include replacing the main PCB.

This is for a spot on the sensor and a possible loose mount (which I suspect now both were caused by the original fall when the camera was new, the crescent shaped spot being some threads that ripped out of the plastic top part that was originally replaced). I cannot fathom why a new PCB would be required or how they came to that conclusion. I asked the woman I spoke with to clarify why the other Precision wants to do this and she has to check and call me back. She said the other Precision typically gives very little information like this back to them.

Ugh. I like this system but stuff like this is enough to make me want to change to something else. I'm hoping this gets worked out and is just a misunderstanding but based on some other horror stories I have heard I'm bracing myself for disappointment.

If I really needed a new PCB I'd probably just get the K-1 ii upgrade and save some money (50%!) over the quoted price, but I seriously doubt I need that work done and if I did I bet I'd still have a loose mount and a spot on my sensor afterward.

Pretty frustrating!
That's a pretty crazy repair quote. A little suspicious given the cost of the K-1 to K-1 II upgrade.

In any case, to cover stuff like this in the future I'd recommend getting a drops and spills warranty, regardless of what system you're shooting with. For high-value cameras they can definitely pay off, IMO!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-27-2018, 02:36 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's a pretty crazy repair quote. A little suspicious given the cost of the K-1 to K-1 II upgrade.

In any case, to cover stuff like this in the future I'd recommend getting a drops and spills warranty, regardless of what system you're shooting with. For high-value cameras they can definitely pay off, IMO!
Yeah, this was the first time I have dropped and broken a camera. Tough lesson. I'd probably rather keep cloning out the spot than pay that repair price.
02-27-2018, 05:38 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, that could have happened with any brand. By all accounts the K-1 has a very rugged construction but a fall hard enough to crack the case would likely damage any camera. Perhaps it might be possible to send it to the Canadian repair depot since it's not a warranty repair. Perhaps a second opinion might be worthwhile. Precision does have a reputation problem to overcome but by many accounts they have improved over the last few years.

02-27-2018, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #5

Shouldn't the camera come with a warranty after repair? After the initial repair in my mind and pretty sure the law around here enforces it, the camera should have come in good conditions, if not, the camera was not properly repaired and the repair service should shoulder the costs to repair it properly.
02-27-2018, 06:45 PM   #6

Precision's warranty is 90 days on all repairs.
02-27-2018, 10:44 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, I'm not blaming anyone for the initial accident but the main PCB replacement they want to do dosn't seem to have anything to do with my reported issues.
I'm even willing to pay the appropriate fee to fix the issues I reported but I do not think that is what I am being offered.

02-28-2018, 05:22 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I'm not blaming anyone for the initial accident but the main PCB replacement they want to do dosn't seem to have anything to do with my reported issues.
I'm even willing to pay the appropriate fee to fix the issues I reported but I do not think that is what I am being offered.
I wonder if they've found a crack in that PCB, Matt... It may not be causing problems just yet, but if they've noticed it they'd want to fix it. Just a thought.
02-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I wonder if they've found a crack in that PCB, Matt... It may not be causing problems just yet, but if they've noticed it they'd want to fix it. Just a thought.
Possible, I guess but I'd like to have this explained to me. Sending in a working camera with a sensor spot and (potential) mount issue and just being told it's going to be $1000 PCB replacement with no explanation just doesn't sit well with me.
02-28-2018, 11:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I got an email today saying that they want to replace the sensor block assembly and that is what is so expensive.

But originally they said main PCB. Does anyone know if these items are connected to the point of having to replace them both if one needs it?
If so, the K-1 mk2 upgrade would be a much better deal. I responded to the email with this very question but I'm not going to pay $1000+ to fix this camera.
I'll just keep cloning out the spot I guess.
02-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll just keep cloning out the spot I guess.
That's what I'd be doing, at least until more information becomes available. Sorry to hear about your problem, Matt.
02-28-2018, 12:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Got more info and although they cannot explain the original PCB replacement recommendation, the sensor block is what they say needs to be changed. The price is still a grand and I just don't want to sink that into this body.
I'd rather put it toward something else that will be new, if I had it to spend.
03-01-2018, 10:39 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So maybe I'll wind up being a K-1 ii early adopter, as much as I do not want to spend the money at the moment. My original K-1 can be relegated to backup duty.
I have some jobs coming that I'll want a FF without a spot on the sensor for if I can. Most of the time it's easy to fix but sometimes it winds up in a really awkward spot that is hard to clone.
03-01-2018, 03:26 PM   #14
tax

Photos: Albums
Hello mattb123, If I were in your shoes, I would ask either Precision Camera or other camera repair shops whether they are willing to buy your defective K-1 camera for spare parts, or just sell it on EBay. This would at least partially off set the cost of your new K-1 II. I highly doubt that a PCB replacement will remedy your sensor "crescent spot" problem. Sensor is an integral parts of an SR (shake reduction) unit, which is a separate from the PCB. When my K-1 had a white pixel sensor problem, Precision Camera replaced just the SR unit and that cured this issue completely.
03-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #15
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tricky situation. As long as it isn't clear what causes the spot, you might spend a lot of money for zero success.

The safest way would be a new K-1 II. For paid shoots a backup body is essential anyway.

IF the mk II upgrade would fix the spot, that would be the most economical solution.