Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2018, 08:18 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
AFC and birds and the K-1

I am now in an area with a lot of big birds. I try the AFC with the K-1 but I am not very successful if the bird move.
I saw on the menu there is some adjustments for AFC.
Can you tell me what setup you use in this situation.
Thanks

03-02-2018, 08:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here, check out this article on shooting sports with a K-1. Lots of good info:

Guide to Camera and Autofocus Settings for Shooting Sports - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
03-03-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The settings I use for outdoor sports/wildlife with my K-3 II are below. Those settings are found in the camera menu. I do not have a K-1 manual but you will find the similar options in your manual.

I usually use AF.C, AF Point "Spot", "1st Frame Action in AF.C" "Release Priority", "Action in AF.C Continuous" "FPS-Priority", and "Hold AF Status" "Off" with my K-3II. I also usually shoot single frame. Those settings are what I use for outdoor sports and wildlife such as birds in flight.

The camera menu is well arranged. A manual is nice to have for reference. I had a K-1, but returned it in order to plan on buying the K-1 II.
03-04-2018, 02:44 PM   #4

I also find the camera focuses faster with the "shake reduction" turned off.

03-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
The settings I use for outdoor sports/wildlife with my K-3 II are below. Those settings are found in the camera menu. I do not have a K-1 manual but you will find the similar options in your manual.

I usually use AF.C, AF Point "Spot", "1st Frame Action in AF.C" "Release Priority", "Action in AF.C Continuous" "FPS-Priority", and "Hold AF Status" "Off" with my K-3II. I also usually shoot single frame. Those settings are what I use for outdoor sports and wildlife such as birds in flight.

The camera menu is well arranged. A manual is nice to have for reference. I had a K-1, but returned it in order to plan on buying the K-1 II.
Thank you all for your advice. I learn a lot from the forum.

What lens to you suggested for wildlife?
I was thinking about the Pentax 150-450mm , but the lens is too heavy and to
expensive.
03-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I shoot birds with my K5 and Sigma 150-500.

I use settings like AF C, spot AF...but also I usually try to photograph birds in flight during sunny days. I set my F stop at F 9 to F 11..for good depth of field (remember birds can fly out of the depth of field easily)...shutter speed over 1/1000th...I try for 1/1500th or faster....to stop action. ISO usually 1600, not lower than 800 and sometimes 3200 ISO...to enable me to get high shutter speeds and F stops around F 9, etc. I also put the camera on fast motordrive...or as they call it now (I'm an old guy LOL) burst rate. Keep your shutter finger down for short bursts.

Also go to a well patronized (by birds) bird feeder and practice, practice, practice photographing small, fast moving birds. Through all this practice you will find what works, how to lead, how to anticipate where birds will fly to next, etc.

You'll find if you can some good keepers with small birds (like a Chickadee in my neck of the woods) , than large birds...such as American White Pelicans...my favourite to photograph will be comparatively easy.
03-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I shoot birds with my K5 and Sigma 150-500.

I use settings like AF C, spot AF...but also I usually try to photograph birds in flight during sunny days. I set my F stop at F 9 to F 11..for good depth of field (remember birds can fly out of the depth of field easily)...shutter speed over 1/1000th...I try for 1/1500th or faster....to stop action. ISO usually 1600, not lower than 800 and sometimes 3200 ISO...to enable me to get high shutter speeds and F stops around F 9, etc. I also put the camera on fast motordrive...or as they call it now (I'm an old guy LOL) burst rate. Keep your shutter finger down for short bursts.

Also go to a well patronized (by birds) bird feeder and practice, practice, practice photographing small, fast moving birds. Through all this practice you will find what works, how to lead, how to anticipate where birds will fly to next, etc.

You'll find if you can some good keepers with small birds (like a Chickadee in my neck of the woods) , than large birds...such as American White Pelicans...my favourite to photograph will be comparatively easy.
Do you use a gimbal tripod head? Which one if you use one
03-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gerardbaron Quote
Do you use a gimbal tripod head? Which one if you use one
No.

I hand hold the body and the Sigma 150-500. I've never tried a gimbal tripod head, mostly because I'm comfortable handling the camera plus large telephoto personally. It is a heavy combo, but I'm a fairly big guy and don't notice the weight that much.

I like controlling the the combo as I like the flexibility of hand holding and be able to react quickly to change in subject's (bird) direction.

I do have a large tripod...Leitz Tiltall...that easily handles the size and weight of this combo, but have never attached a gimbal to it.

03-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you all for your advice. I learn a lot from the forum.

What lens to you suggested for wildlife?
I was thinking about the Pentax 150-450mm , but the lens is too heavy and to
expensive.
I would suggest the Pentax 150-450. Like my 150-500, it may be a little weighty but I really don't mind the weight, it actually provides for steadiness. The 150-450 would achieve the super telephoto reach you may need for birds in flight and other moving or stationary wildlife. I learned that when I moved from a 300 mm lens to the 150-500.
03-06-2018, 08:35 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was thinking about the Pentax 150-450mm , but the lens is too heavy and to expensive.
The 150-450 is a great lens. I understand if it's beyond what you want to put down though. But I will tease and say you will not regret it if you do. It does beg for a tripod or monopod though, and it's not the lightest thing to go mobile with.

I'd take a look at the 55-300 PLM. I have that as well, and it really is quick to focus. The image quality is nice too. If I want to go mobile, it's great. It closes up to be very compact and is pretty light. Price is right too.