Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2018, 07:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Totally Bewildered

I started my journey with a Pentax K1000. I took a photography class from a man who truly loved photography. He taught me so much and remained a good friend and confidant for many years, before he passed. I truly wish he was here today so we could visit. Through my years of experience with my K1000 it never failed to give me what I asked of it . And sometimes it gave me more than I expected. As years past the age of digital cameras came. As the digital age became more and more advanced, I gave up on film and went to digital only because of the expense. As time past and Pentax advanced I dusted off my old lenses and began to look for a camera that would enable me to use my old glass, and rekindle a passion that I once had for photography.
I purchased a K30 and began using my old glass, then bought its kit lens later on, then a Tamron Macro 90mm. I feel I have had decent success with the K30 despite some issues with the camera. I was excited to see the arrival of the K1 full frame and have read and watched, (youtube) countless reviews on it . And have become so Totally Bewildered, I'm lost ! I so desperately want to stay with Pentax but with so many reviews down grading it, I feel like it may not be the best choice. I enjoy landscape, macro and still life photography and this seems to be K 1's stronger suit. However, there is lots of negativity with a quantity of lenses, and customer support. The last thing I want to do is to buy in, and not be supported by those whom I gave my hard earned money too.
I truly have been an advocate of Pentax and have not been one that follows the masses. Canon and Nikon obviously have the masses, but I don't buy just because the Smith's do. I want what works for me and gives me the results that I want. I wish Bobby was here so we could visit once again, he always seemed to direct me in the right direction with my photography needs.
Tony Northrup gives his reviews of the K1 but I feel he is driven by Canon and doesn't give a non-bias opinion. Adorama & B&H both sale all brands and need to make sales, so their opinions can't truly be trusted. Chris Niccolls with the Camera Store seems to give a non-bias review which lends its self to the negative side.

I follow several photographers on youtube, instagram and the like all of which use Canon, Nikon and Sony, only one uses a Pentax. ;-( I recently received a notification of a photography show in a city near me. They stated they would have a rep for Sony, Canon and Nikon. WTC, no Pentax , really?

Is Pentax falling behind or falling out of the race ?
Is there anyone on here that has a definitive answer ?
Are there any Pro Photographers on here that uses the K1 daily for all aspects of photography ?
Are there truly just a few lenses for the K 1 ?
Is Pentax not supporting their cameras customers as they should ?

How about an explanation from Pentax ?

I wan't to stay with Pentax, but I can't afford to stay with a sinking boat, my bail bucket isn't that big. Biting the bullet and reinvesting isn't the greatest option. Not to mention the cost but the reinvestment of time, learning a new system.

Pentaxians, where do you stand, what have you found to be factual, where would you put your hard earned dollar ?

I've read forum responses on here that have people ready to throw in the towel and change brands. That isn't a good thing for a companies forum, why are we not hearing from Pentax on these issues. If this were my company a negative response would have my upmost attention to be resolved. Negativity spreads 3:1 over positive. Even if Pentax is number one, there shouldn't be any arrogance from them in not responding to a negative remark. Every game has a Defense and an Offense whether its checkers, soccer, football, tennis and even photography.

Pentax what is your defense ? We have to kick some Canon, Sony and Nikon asses !

Thanks
Fred

03-04-2018, 08:09 PM - 9 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by onefunmudder Quote
They're behind in some ways. But, I think it's time to accept that they won't be cutting-edge in areas such as AF or video. They are putting all of their efforts in image quality and ergonomics. In those areas, Pentax is very competitive, and often a better value than competitors.

Also keep in mind that compromises probably have to be made at this point for a small camera company to stay profitable. The good news is that the K-1, 645Z, and Theta are selling very well.

Probably not. We can watch and see; the Pentax interviews are about as close as you will get without working at the company. Our CP+ interview will go live in the coming days, so be on the lookout for that.

Are there any Pro Photographers on here that uses the K1 daily for all aspects of photography ?
Yes. But I also think there are more 645Z pros than K-1 pros, since the K-1 caters pretty directly to Pentax enthusiasts.
Pentaxian Profile: Nguyen Nam - Pentaxian Profiles | PentaxForums.com

There are currently 15 Pentax FF lenses available new: Full Frame Lenses | PentaxForums.com
and 43 third-party lenses available new: Full Frame Third Party Lenses | PentaxForums.com

Add to that hundreds of legacy Pentax options and thousands of third-party options. There is no shortage of lenses, but modern lens development is definitely slower than users would like. We'll be getting the D FA* 50mm in the coming months.

This is a tough question to answer because people with a bad experience usually speak up a lot more than those who are happy. What I can say is that repair support in the US has really picked up over the course of the past 2 years. Given the size of Pentax, it's clear they are definitely trying.

That isn't a good thing for a companies forum, why are we not hearing from Pentax on these issues.
We do hear from them, actually. Last year they even made a press release in response to continued online trolling about closing up shop:

Ricoh Stays Committed to Cameras & Pentax Brand - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

Personally I don't think Pentax is going anywhere. But I also don't think they will ever be a major brand. They'll stand where they always have in recent years: a brand that does a few things exceptionally well, available as an alternative to the mainstream brands. And one thing that other brands don't have that Pentax does is the tremendous level of support provided by the awesome members of this very community

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-04-2018, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First, from reading your post I believe you're under the impression that this forum is an official Pentax company forum. It's not connected to corporate Pentax/Ricoh in any way, as far as I know.

As for your thoughts on Pentax, I, like you use the Pentax K1000 for film photography. I actually use two; one loaded with BW and one loaded with color. For a DSLR I was using a Nikon D3100. My daughter, who graduates university in a few months, is a Canon fan and recently upgraded from a Canon t5 to a t6. I went with her to Pro Photo Supply in Portland when she purchased the t6 and I have to admit that the process of her buying a new camera gave me the itch to upgrade from my D3100. I've been reading the PentaxForums for a couple years and had always wished I had a Pentax DSLR so I could participate more on these forums.

I did a lot of research on the various Pentax offerings compared to the Canon t6 and the Nikon D3400 and finally decided to purchase a Pentax K-70. The K-70 arrives tomorrow. Even though the K-70 was more expensive than the Nikon and Canon I do believe the K-70 offers better features, including a user interface that I personally find easier to navigate. I borrowed a friends K-50 for a weekend and that experience finalized my decision to go with the K-70.

So at the end of the day I picked Pentax because I think the camera really compares favorably and I've grown to really enjoy this community of Pentax users. I also have a thing for the underdog and doing things just a little different than the mainstream. Although I would like to see more signs of life from Pentax, I do also relish the fact that Pentax is decidedly not Nikon or Canon.

Good luck with your quest.
03-04-2018, 08:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikecnorthwest Quote
First, from reading your post I believe you're under the impression that this forum is an official Pentax company forum. It's not connected to corporate Pentax/Ricoh in any way, as far as I know.

As for your thoughts on Pentax, I, like you use the Pentax K1000 for film photography. I actually use two; one loaded with BW and one loaded with color. For a DSLR I was using a Nikon D3100. My daughter, who graduates university in a few months, is a Canon fan and recently upgraded from a Canon t5 to a t6. I went with her to Pro Photo Supply in Portland when she purchased the t6 and I have to admit that the process of her buying a new camera gave me the itch to upgrade from my D3100. I've been reading the PentaxForums for a couple years and had always wished I had a Pentax DSLR so I could participate more on these forums.

I did a lot of research on the various Pentax offerings compared to the Canon t6 and the Nikon D3400 and finally decided to purchase a Pentax K-70. The K-70 arrives tomorrow. Even though the K-70 was more expensive than the Nikon and Canon I do believe the K-70 offers better features, including a user interface that I personally find easier to navigate. I borrowed a friends K-50 for a weekend and that experience finalized my decision to go with the K-70.

So at the end of the day I picked Pentax because I think the camera really compares favorably and I've grown to really enjoy this community of Pentax users. I also have a thing for the underdog and doing things just a little different than the mainstream. Although I would like to see more signs of life from Pentax, I do also relish the fact that Pentax is decidedly not Nikon or Canon.

Good luck with your quest.
This forum may not be from the official Pentax company. However, they must follow it. Surely they follow it . Why wouldn't they follow it. If there was a forum called "mikecnorthwest", wouldn't you follow it ? With that said, why shouldn't they respond ?
Don't get me wrong, I'm fighting for Pentax here, I'm just asking for more communication from the them to help us decide on the direction we as a community wish to grow.

Why did you choose the K70 over the K1 or K1 II ?

Thanks
Fred

03-04-2018, 08:46 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This forum may not be from the official Pentax company. However, they must follow it. Surely they follow it .
No, Fred.

It's a Japanese company, they gave up their Ask Ricoh thread, the Pentax ambassadors have said they don't like logging in here and reading all the complaints from a very vocal minority.

So, don't think you're 'talking truth to power' or whatever, you're just annoying fellow owners.

Last edited by clackers; 03-04-2018 at 08:54 PM.
03-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is No, No, No and why would they follow? Just my 2 cents...
03-04-2018, 08:59 PM - 8 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No. They are playing a different game.

No. And if they could, they wouldn't be saying.

Yes.

No. There are millions.

No. They support their customers very well with firmware updates and even a HARDWARE update coming soon.
If you're expecting the sort of support Canon and Nikon give their sports pros however, forget it.

How about an explanation from Pentax ?
It won't happen.

I've read forum responses on here that have people ready to throw in the towel and change brands.
We now call them EeyoresTM. The internet is full of them.

Pentax what is your defense ? We have to kick some Canon, Sony and Nikon asses !
That is absolutely not Pentax's plan. It would not be sustainable and they ARE in it for the long haul.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 03-05-2018 at 12:10 AM.
03-04-2018, 08:59 PM - 7 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

However, they must follow it. Surely they follow it . Why wouldn't they follow it. If there was a forum called "mikecnorthwest", wouldn't you follow it ? With that said, why shouldn't they respond ?
Why would they?

---------- Post added 03-04-18 at 08:04 PM ----------

And that is precisely the problem. No 'we' don't have to do anything. This is not a soccer game and no one has to win. The only thing Pentax has to do is make money for it's owners: Ricoh.

Most of the complaints you see on this forum are from folks with the same attitude. They come here and try to get Pentax to 'win'. Not going to happen, Ricoh could care less. Their goal is to survive and make some money, not 'win' anything. If you want your camera company to be the same as your soccer team and sell souvenirs, hats and t-shirts Pentax is the wrong brand.
03-04-2018, 09:10 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No, Fred.

It's a Japanese company, they gave up their Ask Ricoh thread, the Pentax ambassadors have said they don't like logging in here and reading all the complaints from a very vocal minority.

So, don't think you're 'talking truth to power' or whatever, you're just annoying fellow owners.
Clackers,

How would this annoy fellow owners ? Even if they said they don't like logging in here, why wouldn't they have someone follow the threads ? That doesn't make sense in a cooperate world. If you owned a global company, would you not have people following threads from around the world that are discussing your company ? I think you would. You would need to know where your product fails and where it succeeds. That information comes from the real world consumer.

Fred
03-04-2018, 09:14 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're looking for a non-biased information source and come here???

I think the majority of forum members lean much more on a love rather than hate relationship with Pentax products. I have used other cameras but my primary go-to camera has always been a Pentax. I was so impressed with a Pentax the first time I held one, that was it for me. I have a very much used PZ-1p (and a backup to that) and many of the features I really liked, carried over into the K-1. That paired with the fact that the K-1 was a full-frame camera sold me and it could well be the last high-end camera I will ever have or use.

It's true that if you look at other brands, one may offer better lenses (a few), one may offer some better features or ergonomics, and some may offer more glitz, but in my own thinking, Pentax embodies many of those pluses as well and is one of the best on the market. I'm not so much concerned with support from Pentax (though that certainly matters) but more concerned with what I actually have in my hands right now, and that, I'm pretty happy with.

Keep in mind, I'm not biased in the least
03-04-2018, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks
Fred
I stretched my budget just to get the K-70. Trust me I would have gone with the K-1 if that was possible, even though the K-1 is much more camera than I'll ever need.
03-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
You're looking for a non-biased information source and come here???

I think the majority of forum members lean much more on a love rather than hate relationship with Pentax products. I have used other cameras but my primary go-to camera has always been a Pentax. I was so impressed with a Pentax the first time I held one, that was it for me. I have a very much used PZ-1p (and a backup to that) and many of the features I really liked, carried over into the K-1. That paired with the fact that the K-1 was a full-frame camera sold me and it could well be the last high-end camera I will ever have or use.

It's true that if you look at other brands, one may offer better lenses (a few), one may offer some better features or ergonomics, and some may offer more glitz, but in my own thinking, Pentax embodies many of those pluses as well and is one of the best on the market. I'm not so much concerned with support from Pentax (though that certainly matters) but more concerned with what I actually have in my hands right now, and that, I'm pretty happy with.

Keep in mind, I'm not biased in the least
Thanks Bob,

It wasn't my plan to push any ones buttons on here. Its just that I have read and heard so much negativity against Pentax which I have been a fan for years. I am wanting to upgrade and want the best for my money. I am on a quest for definitive answers and not trying to upset the apple cart. I was only looking for real consumer answers to my questions to persuade my decision.

Thanks
Fred
03-04-2018, 09:36 PM - 6 Likes   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Clackers,

How would this annoy fellow owners ?
We've had a big long thread on this, Fred, negativity and brand bashing got so much that fellow member Monochrome was just one who announced publicly it was too much. We love him and he's back, though!

Even if they said they don't like logging in here, why wouldn't they have someone follow the threads ?
It's a bewildering, contradictory mess in a second language, Fred.

Can I suggest if you intend to do posts that are effectively, complaints to the manager ... you do it to Ricoh?

This is a privately owned forum. It's not connected to Pentax.

It works best as a fan site, a refuge for the brand owners from the hostility of DPR and other sites.

Get into its spirit, let's see your pictures, your involvement, your solutions to the problems posed by others.
03-04-2018, 09:42 PM   #14

Original Poster
For starters this was never a complaint but a request for information from the forums viewers.

Fred
03-04-2018, 09:48 PM - 2 Likes   #15
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have a K70 and I am not about to go full frame. But, as Sandy Hancock said, there are millions of lenses out there for the K-1, as there are for Pentax generally - and SR works with all of them. We Pentax owners have options and some of them are very interesting. That is what drives the choices that a lot of Pentax users make. In my opinion, that is the mark of the enthusiast and the enthusiasts are what Pentax appear to see as their core market. But no two enthusiasts will ever want exactly the same thing. So it's a matter of Pentax satisfying as much as possible in a vague area that covers some core wants while accepting that you just have to live with all the griping about what else there could have/should have been.

Pentax will survive as long as it can give enough satisfaction to its enthusiast followers. Funding a strategy to chase the wider market would be courting disaster. That said, the initial sales feedback on the K-1 indicated that sales were split about evenly between current Pentax users and individuals switching from other brands. So they must be getting something right.