Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 161 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2018, 09:59 PM - 5 Likes   #61

Photos: Gallery
I ditched all my Canon gear to buy 645z and K1 systems so that should say something about Pentax. IMO pentax has the best landscape photography cameras on the market at the moment it's just a shame that all those 'pro' youtubers and photographers out there either don't realise it or are too afraid to try something different.

03-08-2018, 12:19 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Hello Gyroscope,
what do you mean by all your Canon Gear?
03-08-2018, 01:19 AM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
Hello Gyroscope,
what do you mean by all your Canon Gear?
I mean all of it. I had 5Dmk3, 7D F4 zoom trinity 50 prime tilt shift 24mm plus some telephoto lens I didn't need anymore since I decided to focus on landscapes. This was about 18 months ago.
03-08-2018, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Like Gyroscope, I dumped all of my gear---Sony for me, and not only did I love Sony but had correctly picked them as a tech leader, and that certainly continues---to go with a 645Z at first release. And I had just bought the A7R! And loved it, btw.

But now I've got the Z and a K1, and 24 lenses, 12 for each. That sounds like bragging about how much money I have. Well, I don't. That was partly possible (I did have a several lens head start with 645, as I had an N) because of all the amazing lens values out there for Pentax in the used market, and some new as well, including 3rd party. And yes, those used lenses work great.

So, this once again is a story about 1. getting gear that suits your needs best; 2. filtering out all the noise about Pentax this and Nikon/Canon that, no lenses, poor flash support (that's a total lie), & etc.

03-08-2018, 07:44 AM - 6 Likes   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lot's of good responses here.

Buy Pentax if you can find what you need now. It would seem many of the loudest detractors bought into Pentax expecting them to become something else, and then endlessly harangue the forum with their disappointment.

My advice pay attention to this page. And watch the interview.
CP+ 2018 Pentax Interview - CP+ 2018 | PentaxForums.com

Take what the man says verbatim. Ignore the nay sayers and speculators on the forum. This man may not be the most expansive or eloquent, but he lays out the official Pentax position accurately and precisely, and with no hype or rah, rah.

And honestly, what he says makes me pretty happy. It says, the things Pentax doesn't do now like mirrorless and 4k video, they have nothing in the works, with the 4k mirrorless depending on sensor capable of doing it.

It says they are working on some stuff, but you can see, it's a slow process.

The K-1ii has an improved AF system, but they aren't trying to make an action camera.

People like myself (K-1 and K-3 ) who are happy with their gear are generally happy because it's value priced performance option. We don't actually expect Pentax to come out with cutting edge high tech gear. We expect good solid "good at what it does" gear.

I've used Pentax forever, in part because forever Pentax has made good solid gear that takes pictures of the quality I need.

Other people need more than I do. Make sure you aren't one of them before you buy into Pentax.

You only need to ask one question.

Do Pentax cameras do what I need a camera do. If the answer is yes, welcome to the club. If not, please move on, we have way too many who want Pentax to be more than what they are. Their constant disappointment with Pentax being unwilling to change it's stripes is depressing.

IMHO that guy in the video is Pentax... love it or leave it.

PS My wife and I had a brief foray into the craft show market. We went to shows where there were 5 or 6 other photographers shooting Nikon and Canon there and we outsold all of them at one show by a factor of about 10:1. Maybe we didn't match them in every category, but in the categories Pentax is strong in we were able to make up for not having all the bells and whistles of the the other companies. You don't get everything in Pentax, but for an outdoor wilderness/wildlife shooter, they have more than enough.

Last edited by normhead; 03-08-2018 at 08:17 AM.
03-08-2018, 09:47 AM - 3 Likes   #66

Original Poster
LOL! Well, I'm not sure why my thread came across as being negative. For anyone who I offended, I apologize. I was merely looking for some direction in my thought process to purchase a K1 or Mark II.
I have been a Pentax user for many years and with only a few issues from a K30 have been quite satisfied. So in trying to decide in the direction of an upgrade I have been looking at the K1 and Mark II.
So, the decision was made and my new K1 should be arriving in a day or so. I purchased the HD PENTAX-D FA L 28-105mmF3.5 - 5.6ED lens with it. With my old glass that I have it should make a nice addition.

Excited to get my fingers wrapped around it and get to shooting !

Fred
03-08-2018, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onefunmudder Quote
So, the decision was made and my new K1 should be arriving in a day or so. I purchased the HD PENTAX-D FA L 28-105mmF3.5 - 5.6ED lens with it. With my old glass that I have it should make a nice addition.
Sounds like a good plan. I think you will be very happy with the results.

03-08-2018, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #68
Pentaxian

So, the decision was made and my new K1 should be arriving in a day or so
Congrats! You will not regret this decision.
03-08-2018, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #69
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's a very good combination, Fred. If you reckon it'll just be a platform for your old glass, you might be very surprised by what that 'kit lens' can do versus legacy primes and use it more and more ...

03-15-2018, 03:57 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LOL! Well, I'm not sure why my thread came across as being negative. For anyone who I offended, I apologize. I was merely looking for some direction in my thought process to purchase a K1 or Mark II.
I have been a Pentax user for many years and with only a few issues from a K30 have been quite satisfied. So in trying to decide in the direction of an upgrade I have been looking at the K1 and Mark II.

Excited to get my fingers wrapped around it and get to shooting !

Fred
Congrats on your purchase of the K1, Fred. You will not regret this decision.

I have a link here to share and it is from a guy who like you, was looking for a Pentax system.

http://www.jonathangorsephotography....016/5/PentaxK1
03-16-2018, 03:26 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I've no comment on your landscape requirement. Still life? Usually nothing exotic required. Macro? The DFA100mm macro is (IMO) a reason to use Pentax, nothing comes close to its size with other brands. The DFA50mm is also top notch.
Well, I do not agree. For example, Leica Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R 100/2.8 and Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 are much better. But, you are right, the Pentax SMC D-FA Macro 50mm F2.8 is optically a gem, one of the best 50mm ever made before bazookas era. But its fit and completion aren't on the same level of Leica and Carl Zeiss lenses...
03-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Well, I do not agree. For example, Leica Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R 100/2.8 and Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 are much better.
I specifically used size as a critera, so how can you disagree? I didn't even mention price...

There's always a compromise in lens design; size, weight, cost, performance, etc, are all pulling in different directions. I've no doubt there are better performing lenses than the dfa100mm, in particular with regards to chromatic aberrations especially wide open, but the dfa100mm is my choice in compromise for a field lens in this focal length. I wouldn't say no to that Voigtlander 125mm APO-Lanthar for studio use if a k-mount version fell in my lap...
03-16-2018, 11:06 PM   #73
Veteran Member

I specifically used size as a critera, so how can you disagree? I didn't even mention price...
There's always a compromise in lens design; size, weight, cost, performance, etc, are all pulling in different directions..
True! According to these criteria, I agree.
But compared to the Pentax SMC D-FA Macro 50mm F2.8, they are not in the same class IMHO... that was the point in respect of which I interfered...

I've no doubt there are better performing lenses than the dfa100mm, in particular with regards to chromatic aberrations especially wide open, but the dfa100mm is my choice in compromise for a field lens in this focal length. .
Absolutly...

I wouldn't say no to that Voigtlander 125mm APO-Lanthar for studio use if a k-mount version fell in my lap...
I just heard of it but I have never seen any... Has ever been any K-mount produced?
03-17-2018, 05:16 AM   #74
Veteran Member

But compared to the Pentax SMC D-FA Macro 50mm F2.8, they are not in the same class IMHO... that was the point in respect of which I interfered...
I'm new to having a dfa50mm macro (last fall), and I'm loving it more every day. Working distance at higher magnification can be a bit of a pain compared to the dfa100mm, but otherwise it's simply marvelous.

I just heard of it but I have never seen any... Has ever been any K-mount produced?
One turned up in the marketplace here last fall I think*. There are not many out there (for any mount), they are pricey, and of course hefty: Voigtlander Macro APO-Lanthar 125mm f2.5 Lens Reviews - Voigtlander Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

*edit- I might be thinking of the one from two years back: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/36-sold-items/323744-sale-sold-voigtland...x-k-mount.html