Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2018, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
DPReview brief hands-on with K-1 II & DFA* 50mm

CP+ 2018: Hands-on with the Pentax K-1 Mark II and D FA* 50mm F1.4: Digital Photography Review

03-05-2018, 01:40 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read their sad little click bait article and started to read the comments but the ignorance printed there was damaging my soul. So I came back here.
03-05-2018, 02:07 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I read their sad little click bait article and started to read the comments but the ignorance printed there was damaging my soul. So I came back here.
Don’t you know the camera is stoopid cause like its not mirrorless and stuff.....
03-05-2018, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Don’t you know the camera is stoopid cause like its not mirrorless and stuff.....

10 clicks for ten generic sentences and whining about processing time for hand held SR. Then knuckleheaded comments about why it should take so long. Obviously the commenters have no clue what is happening since their cameras are not capable of performing it. I now have a SR capable camera so I can look down my nose at the Canikon owners now!

mind you, I haven't used it yet since I have only had the camera for 6 hours but hey! I can be a camera snob since I know mine can do something that theirs cannot.

03-05-2018, 02:28 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

It would be useful to be able to defer the processing. I never use my pixelshift jpegs and only work with the raws. The time spent processing is wasted for only a preview thumbnail. Basing the thumbnail on a single raw would be good enough for preview and histogram.

And no theres no processing required for the raws. Its just 4 raws in one file. Motion correction etc can all be done in postprocessing.
03-05-2018, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Who knows, maybe that will come in a firmware update later. Since the camera is not even on the shelves yet, there are probably changes in functionality possible, and perhaps planned. That is a guess and may not be possible in the handheld Pixel Shift images due to other differences from standard pixel shift.
What annoyed me were the stupid comments about Pentax making a K-1 MkII with a Nikon mount! because they want pixel shift I guess. I felt my IQ lowering the more I read, (with a few exceptions but easily 60%+ were not smart comments.)
03-05-2018, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
It would be useful to be able to defer the processing. I never use my pixelshift jpegs and only work with the raws. The time spent processing is wasted for only a preview thumbnail. Basing the thumbnail on a single raw would be good enough for preview and histogram.

And no theres no processing required for the raws. Its just 4 raws in one file. Motion correction etc can all be done in postprocessing.
I think the 'handheld pixelshift' is different to the original pixelshift, as it is essentially a 'super-resolution' process which, at this stage, does require to be processed in camera.
To convert the raw files into a final image requires considerably more processing than just taking the R,G, G and B values to make a final image.

Cheers,
Terry

03-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
I think the 'handheld pixelshift' is different to the original pixelshift, as it is essentially a 'super-resolution' process which, at this stage, does require to be processed in camera.
To convert the raw files into a final image requires considerably more processing than just taking the R,G, G and B values to make a final image.

Cheers,
Terry
Correct. The 4 RAWs remain separate and can be individually processed if the Real Resolution Image is unsatisfactory.
03-05-2018, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I suspect its better than post software because it has the 5 axis information and can more precisely compare than simply lining up pictures because it can accommodate for angle distortion on a mathematical level.
03-05-2018, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Why did I even click on that link?

I just saw the poll where two DPR members claim to own the DFA*50, and three say they had it (and presumably sold it).
03-05-2018, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Why did I even click on that link?

I just saw the poll where two DPR members claim to own the DFA*50, and three say they had it (and presumably sold it).
As I said Ian, the comments made my soul shrivel up so I had to stop reading or it and my brain would both shrivel and die.
03-05-2018, 08:33 PM - 2 Likes   #12
JPT
Pentaxian

I tried the 50mm / K-1 mark 2 at CP+, presumably at the same counter, and I can’t see a sentence I would disagree with in the article. I think it’s well written and illustrated. The lock up after taking a pixel shift shot is very noticeable.

As for the comments, there are a lot of idiotic ones but you can just ignore them.
03-05-2018, 08:41 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If they are complaining about pixel shift image processing time, they really need to get back to film. Take photo. Drop off at camera store. Come back next week to pick up processed roll. Or they can invest several thousand dollars in building their own home darkroom. Then it will only take a few hours after they drive back home to see the images.
03-05-2018, 08:49 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
If they are complaining about pixel shift image processing time, they really need to get back to film. Take photo. Drop off at camera store. Come back next week to pick up processed roll. Or they can invest several thousand dollars in building their own home darkroom. Then it will only take a few hours after they drive back home to see the images.
In a hurry? Just don’t Shoot in PSR.

I mean, Seriously? That’s your complaint?
03-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The article itself actually has a positive tone to it with comments like the one on the AF speed of the new D FA* 50 as "on par with other manufacturers' wide-aperture prime lens offerings." So, once again, ignore the trolls. Stop feeding them and let them go find another bridge.