Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2018, 09:30 PM - 2 Likes   #16

I think it was too early to write the article. I really didn't learn anything new. I would much rather read about real world experiences with the camera, that covers all the improvements. As for the comments........ many of them show how ignorant people are about Pentax lenses and Pentax products in general. I think dollar for dollar the Pentax 70-200 lens is probably the best one out there if compared to Canon, Nikon.
Many people have closed minds that will never change, and regardless of how good Pentax products are they will never admit that Pentax makes excellent cameras and lenses. They will always give poor reviews or make uninformed comments, which only displays the bias they have.
I am looking forward to actual reviews so I can figure If and when I will upgrade my camera.

03-05-2018, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is no free lunch. More resolution without waiting is obtained via medium format, but the MF costs quite a bit more...
03-05-2018, 11:52 PM - 8 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started writing some sensible, respectful ripostes to the more obvious nonsense, but quickly lost the will to live.
03-06-2018, 12:22 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GMounk Quote
I really didn't learn anything new.
True, but it wasn't written for us I do think that there are times and places (such as this, which is effectively just news, not a proper review) where comments might usefully be disabled - leave them for when there's some meat to comment on. Won't happen, I know, but inviting the ignorant to parade their ignorance can't be good for anybody.

03-06-2018, 12:41 AM - 3 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A great survey tool at DPR that's for sure. It is possible to click on the any of the "I had it" or "I have it" buttons for a product not yet in the market place. I hope the rest of their methodology is better than that.
03-06-2018, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I started writing some sensible, respectful ripostes to the more obvious nonsense, but quickly lost the will to live.
Same here, it's really disconcerting.

1. The article complained about "your valuable time", when the last Sony took 30" to take a regular PS image

2. The comment section is chock-full of opinionated trolls who know nothing about photography and think they know everything. Of course conspiracy theories were abundant when someone noticed the new 50/1.4 looked like the Tokina, so it must have been a rebadge by Pentax (while it's at the very least a co-producion, the patent having been registered by Ricoh)

3. I agree that this is probably some form of super-resolution, something I could do with PS but is done in-camera for those who don't have a computer/are too lazy to do it at home/don't have the time.
03-06-2018, 03:53 AM   #22
Pentaxian

At least DPR is warming up on Pentax, little by little...

About the processing time, the Sony takes 30" of shooting, but it doesn't process the image - or whatever it does, you still need to process them on a PC.

03-06-2018, 11:10 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GMounk Quote
I think it was too early to write the article. I really didn't learn anything new. I would much rather read about real world experiences with the camera, that covers all the improvements. As for the comments........ many of them show how ignorant people are about Pentax lenses and Pentax products in general. I think dollar for dollar the Pentax 70-200 lens is probably the best one out there if compared to Canon, Nikon.
Many people have closed minds that will never change, and regardless of how good Pentax products are they will never admit that Pentax makes excellent cameras and lenses. They will always give poor reviews or make uninformed comments, which only displays the bias they have.
I am looking forward to actual reviews so I can figure If and when I will upgrade my camera.
I didn't think the article was so bad. It was not intended as a full review, but a first look. It had good photos of the lens and actual hands-on experience with both it and the camera. So far I hadn't seen really much of either in the posts the people had made here. (I was interested to see the lens mount of a KAF4 lens, which I had not seen before.)

It was only after i posted the link, I saw that there is PF article (in the splash banner) about the lens, which has additional information about the lens, but fewer photos.
03-07-2018, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you wanna avoid doing spit-takes all over your keyboard and monitor, avoid any of the comments in the previews and other announcement types sections there. It's fanboys of one brand or another ragging on about stuff they know zero about, as others have noted. It's like the Yelpers who rush to be the first to dis a restaurant. I saw some of the same stuff with the Sony A7iii, and then in some threads comparing that with the K-1ii. I guess the trifecta of ignorant posting would be a comparo of a the Sony, Pentax and an iPhone. That would pretty much hit every button, especially if you included JPEG vs RAW.

BTW, the menus in the picture looked kinda beta-ish compared to my K-3ii. Is that how they currently look on a K-1?
03-07-2018, 07:44 PM   #25

True enough. It was intended as a first look. I guess I am just hungry for just how good the improvements are. I have three possibly four projects on my plate this year after the snow is gone, so I have to somehow figure out when the best time will be to get mine upgraded should I go that route.
03-07-2018, 11:06 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
BTW, the menus in the picture looked kinda beta-ish compared to my K-3ii. Is that how they currently look on a K-1?
They look like that on the K-1, and I think they're pretty similar on the K-3, though I rarely use that display mode. The depiction of the 4-way control is different on the K-1 vs. K3 -- is that what you are referring to?
03-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
They look like that on the K-1, and I think they're pretty similar on the K-3, though I rarely use that display mode. The depiction of the 4-way control is different on the K-1 vs. K3 -- is that what you are referring to?
Yes, the four way controller I guess is what caught my eye.
03-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I ws thinking today they might show the 4-way controller differently on the K-3 because the screen is smaller? But it does look a bit more sophisticated that way.
03-12-2018, 09:01 AM   #29

The statistic at the bottom is interesting al well!

Pentax K2 Mark-II
I own it: 2
I want it: 126
I had it: 12

Yeah, right...
03-12-2018, 09:46 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I ws thinking today they might show the 4-way controller differently on the K-3 because the screen is smaller? But it does look a bit more sophisticated that way.
From what I have read the LCD screen on the K-3 and the K-1 are the same size. 3.2" How do people find the LCD screen? It looks quite a bit smaller on the K-1 than the K-3.