Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2018, 06:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had a thought...

Regarding the new K-1 Mark II. If one was to do the upgrade to their current K-1 to bring it up to the Mark II version, would the camera's shutter count get reset? If so, then buying a used converted one down the road, you might never know the true shutter count of the camera.

03-07-2018, 07:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Interesting question. Since the shutter count is probably stored on the board somewhere it might get reset.

On the other hand Pentax will only offer the upgrade in a limited timeframe. So the maximum age of a K-1 before getting the upgrade will be around 2 1/2 years. There won’t be a lot of K-1 cameras that will exceed 50k shutter actuations in that time. Even then it’s still good for at least another 250k actuations. So I wouldn’t think about it too much when buying an upgraded K-1 in the future.

Last edited by alpheios; 03-07-2018 at 07:59 AM.
03-07-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
Interesting question. Since the shutter count is probably stored on the board somewhere it might get reset.

On the other hand Pentax will only offer the upgrade in a limited timeframe. So the maximum age of a K-1 before getting the upgrade will be around 2 1/2 years. There won’t be a lot of K-1 cameras that will exceed 50k shutter actuations in that time. Even then it’s still good for another 250k actuations. So I wouldn’t think about it too much when buying an upgraded K-1 in a few years time.
My question is, what happens to the warranty status? Do they give at least 90Days on the upgrade board and workmanship? Will they offer a chance to purchase an extension to the warranty? I put a Leaf extended warranty on my K-1, I picked 3Yrs for $78 from Adorama... never had to use it yet. What happens to that? My Leaf warranty started 6/2016...

Other random thoughts...They MUST be doing a CLA to the body, they will have their fingerprints all over it and dust intrusion. Will they re-align the mount and sensor to factory spec? Will I have to redo all my lens fine adjustments? Probably... and I am guessing it comes back with new weather seals? Lot's of fine print for the lawyers to write still...
Eric
03-07-2018, 09:25 AM   #4

As I recall changing the mainboard resets the shutter count on the APS-C bodies, so most likely yes.

03-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #5

As far as I know, the shutter won't be changed for a new one, therefore the counter shouldn't be reset either.

Upgrading from K-1 to K-1 II will be just that, an upgrade (changing some parts -not all- which doesn't include the shutter), not swapping the whole camera for a new one.

---------- Post added 03-07-18 at 11:14 AM ----------

... unless the shutter is part of the main board (which I ignore).
03-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Perhaps folks who have had the main board replaced can comment on what else is done during the service. I'd expect them to clean whatever needs to be cleaned to carry out the replacement, but wouldn't expect them to replace any parts other than the main board, as stated in the description.

Unless they copy over the shutter count, which is unlikely, then it would be reset, along with all your settings.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alvaro_garcia Quote
As far as I know, the shutter won't be changed for a new one, therefore the counter shouldn't be reset either.

Upgrading from K-1 to K-1 II will be just that, an upgrade (changing some parts -not all- which doesn't include the shutter), not swapping the whole camera for a new one.

---------- Post added 03-07-18 at 11:14 AM ----------

... unless the shutter is part of the main board (which I ignore).
I agree that the shutter wouldn't be replaced, but if the main board is replaced, then odds are the chip that stores the count is on the main board, so there fore the count would probably end up back to a very low number. (depending on how many test shots the repair center does)

---------- Post added 03-07-2018 at 01:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Perhaps folks who have had the main board replaced can comment on what else is done during the service. I'd expect them to clean whatever needs to be cleaned to carry out the replacement, but wouldn't expect them to replace any parts other than the main board, as stated in the description.

Unless they copy over the shutter count, which is unlikely, then it would be reset, along with all your settings.
This is basically what I suspect is true. As someone else mentioned, most K1 camera's probably don't have a lot of accuations on them yet, but the potential is there for a high count to be reset.

03-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #8
tax

Photos: Albums
I am not quite sure why preserving shutter count should be such an issue. If someone decides to upgrade their K-1 to Mark II, then it is more likely that such person will keep their camera for a foreseeable future, instead of selling it later. $550 Mark II upgrade price is higher than a price difference between brand new K-1 and K-1 Mark II. Absent of special circumstances, this Mark II upgrade is a waste of money. I will upgrade my K-1 produced in Oct. 2016 to Mark II only because its whole sensor (SR unit) was recently replaced by Precision Camera with the brand new one produced in Jan. 2018, and the whole camera was manually calibrated, so my white dot problem was finally resolved. Now, my K-1 produces brilliant images and I will keep it forever. Buying a new K-1 Mark II would be like a new gamble to me. Good luck finding a used K-1 upgraded to Mark II for sale, but even then its price will be low enough to absorb any future shutter replacement expense, which is around $350. Why don't you just buy either brand new or used K-1 Mark II then? There is an old proverb that a scrooge person always pays twice. First time when they buy something on the cheap and second time when they pay to fix it.
03-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K7 shutter count was reset after main board replacement.
03-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #10
maw
Pentaxian

How many real shots?

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Regarding the new K-1 Mark II. If one was to do the upgrade to their current K-1 to bring it up to the Mark II version, would the camera's shutter count get reset? If so, then buying a used converted one down the road, you might never know the true shutter count of the camera.
You are perfectly right!

+ + + + + + + + + + 299,999 shots? + + + + + + + + + +

As has already been said, but without any certainty, I understand that.

I don't know if it is a reasonable comparison, you can reset the odometer of a car if you want, but the kilometers made them the engine and the other parts inherent those cannot zero.
Would it be useful to know if the card that will be replaced in the Pentax K1 also contains the actual shutter shots, in practice card and shutter are two separate entities?
Otherwise, the previous shots remain, as the shutter is an electro-mechanical organ that is in fact subject to wear.

So we need to clarify this point well, is there anyone who knows with certainty?
03-11-2018, 02:20 AM   #11

I had the board exchanged because of an faulty micro hdmi port at my K-1.

Shutter count, as well as file numberings were reseted as everything else.