Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
She doesn’t care what the rest of the scene is, as long as she is in focus and properly exposed. Switch to spot metering and focus on her, she will be properly exposed regardless of where she is in the shot.
Spot metering will center the histogram at the focus point, that is all.

Steve

03-11-2018, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Why didn't you ask him?
Where's the fun in that? Plus I woulda missed out on your lovely detailed explanation! Thanks
03-11-2018, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Spot metering will center the histogram at the focus point, that is all.

Steve
Exactly. But when set to matrix, I didn’t mention it will expose slightly toward the focus point, but not like spot.

It’s a method of being able to quickly change the exposure on the fly. I have less work after the event working post because the exposure values are where I’m expecting them to be.
03-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So... I have this feture turned on. I generally use Matrix, but with the press of a button I’m on spot metering....
How do you set up to toggle from Matrix to Spot with 'the press of a button'? Typically I have to hold a button down and slide the rear dial to toggle Metering, is there a quicker way?

Cheers.

03-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
How do you set up to toggle from Matrix to Spot with 'the press of a button'? Typically I have to hold a button down and slide the rear dial to toggle Metering, is there a quicker way?

Cheers.
User mode?

Steve
03-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, User Mode. I have 3, the first 2 are identical save the metering, the 3rd is for my old manual lenses.

But I guess that’s really a turn of the dial.
03-11-2018, 11:45 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, User Mode. I have 3, the first 2 are identical save the metering, the 3rd is for my old manual lenses.

But I guess that’s really a turn of the dial.
Ah ok. Yeh that's why I was stumped at the 'button' because I thought perhaps I was missing a very quick bind somewhere to a Fx button. On the K-1 its quite a quick toggle (hold a Fx button down and rotate rear dial), on the KP it's a little more awkward/easier depending on what yer doing (more or less same steps in some regards, quicker in others). I tend to fill my 5 User Modes with quite different shooting scenes (in general) however certain events (like concerts or weddings) I do kick a mode off here or there to allow space for a very similar mode mimicking another save a small difference, much the same as you).

03-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I do kick a mode off here or there to allow space for a very similar mode mimicking another save a small difference, much the same as you).
So the question might be whether keeping a mode for this feature makes sense. If the light is that sketchy, the question might be whether auto-exposure is the appropriate solution regardless of where the focus point falls.

Steve
03-12-2018, 11:59 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Isn't it easy to say that C1.5 overides the general AF setting?
03-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
So the question might be whether keeping a mode for this feature makes sense. If the light is that sketchy, the question might be whether auto-exposure is the appropriate solution regardless of where the focus point falls.

Steve
The question for me right now is whether this mode combo (matrix + C1-5) is worth using at all, and if the results are desirable. I do use SEL a lot, tend to have the focus point still very near the middle but perhaps slightly up and off in one direction (to help frame a shot better, when shooting very wide and using centre point and reframing I find things can be a little fuzzier than doing the aforementioned), so it may well suit my kinda shooting style and help expose images that little bit better than C1-5 off and using centre weighted which has been my standard go to for portrait.

Currently I use centre spot and Spot metering for ETTR and Silhouette style landscape shots. I rarely use Spot metering for Portrait use unless looking for a weird arty interpretation (such as a bright background and shadow figure, or the opposite and getting a High Key image).

I do find this very interesting, I really thought you were stuck with metering of three choices, but there does seem to be more hybrid options available. What about C1-5 in conjunction with centre weighted for example, more or less the same results as having it on in Matrix mode or quite a bit different I wonder...

PS I've been flat out busy with work and such and have not had time to test any of this out, prolly won't till the weekend now.