Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Problem with the B setting and the Pentax shutter release cable

When I put my K1 in "B" mode and try and use the Pentax shutter release cable it activates the shutter at somewhere around 1/125th, which when I press the shutter release on camera I get the same result. I have ruled out a problem with the cable as it works fine when I try it with my K20D. The K1 and the cable worked just fine in "B" mode last fall but that was before I upgraded the firmware. Any suggestions?

03-10-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Check the Bulb Mode Options in menu C1.
03-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just tried wired shutter in B with FW 1.43 works OK. So it should not be a problem with firmware.
03-10-2018, 09:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Check the Bulb Mode Options in menu C1.
Thanks, I tried both options but it did not clear the problem. I have also done a reset but no change

03-10-2018, 09:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you're getting the same result with the shutter release on the camera, it isn't the cable but the camera itself (as you verified by trying the cable on another camera). Check the menu as photoptimist suggested. Also, this might be a dumb suggestion but check to make sure you're in bulb mode. It should show on the rear LCD (upper left - "Bulb"). Lastly, make sure your battery is up to snuff. If it's near the end of it's life, firing the shutter in bulb mode might be just enough to make the camera think the battery is dead or dying and shut down leading to a short exposure. Keeping the shutter open draws a bit more current and might be just enough to cause this issue if the battery is marginal.
03-11-2018, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
If you're getting the same result with the shutter release on the camera, it isn't the cable but the camera itself (as you verified by trying the cable on another camera). Check the menu as photoptimist suggested. Also, this might be a dumb suggestion but check to make sure you're in bulb mode. It should show on the rear LCD (upper left - "Bulb"). Lastly, make sure your battery is up to snuff. If it's near the end of it's life, firing the shutter in bulb mode might be just enough to make the camera think the battery is dead or dying and shut down leading to a short exposure. Keeping the shutter open draws a bit more current and might be just enough to cause this issue if the battery is marginal.
Thanks everyone I have solved the issue, apparently my fat fingers had previously hit the EV button and knocked it off of 0.0, any value other than that will prevent B operation