Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2018, 02:35 AM   #1

Upgrade or Trade K-1 In for K-1II

I've been considering what the cost difference will be, purchasing the upgrade for $550 or trading in my K-1 for the K-1 II. So I emailed B&H asking what trade in value they would give me for my mint, perfectly functioning K-1 for a K-1 II when they are released. The answer came back $750. This would mean a net cost for the new model of about $1250, $700 more than the upgrade. So, for me, being on a retiree's budget, that's an easy decision.

The third option would be selling my K-1 privately but I would think there will be so many on the market after the II is released that a substantial drop in price will occur, so that's an uncertain situation. Much as I would like a brand new one, it appears that the upgrade is the only financially viable option for me. Just thought I would share this experience.

03-14-2018, 03:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
I've been considering what the cost difference will be, purchasing the upgrade for $550 or trading in my K-1 for the K-1 II. So I emailed B&H asking what trade in value they would give me for my mint, perfectly functioning K-1 for a K-1 II when they are released. The answer came back $750. This would mean a net cost for the new model of about $1250, $700 more than the upgrade. So, for me, being on a retiree's budget, that's an easy decision.

The third option would be selling my K-1 privately but I would think there will be so many on the market after the II is released that a substantial drop in price will occur, so that's an uncertain situation. Much as I would like a brand new one, it appears that the upgrade is the only financially viable option for me. Just thought I would share this experience.
If you have everything it came with and the shutter count is low B&H would sell your K-1 for $1,200 - $1,300 in May ($1,500 right now). You could get a very similar price here and close the gap on a brand new K-1ll. The difference might feel more like rent that way.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-14-2018 at 05:01 AM.
03-14-2018, 04:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

what is the difference in aspect of photography skills improvement after changing K-1 to K-1 II?
03-14-2018, 05:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
what is the difference in aspect of photography skills improvement after changing K-1 to K-1 II?
Good question!

What was the difference changing K-3 to K-1?

03-14-2018, 05:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Medex

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Good question!

03-14-2018, 05:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Good question!

Never had K-3, just K-5II as my first Pentax camera. The main reason I bought K-1 was the possibility to use FF lenses I had at full mage circle they provide. This means larger angle of view, shorter distance to object, more pleasant bokeh or subject isolation using large aperture lenses. One more reason - more convenient tilt screen. Etc...
03-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You could sell it on the Marketplace or elsewhere for a lot more than $750

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-14-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

This is great news for me as I intend to buy a used K-1 and my budget is $1,000 for one in decent condition.
I'm looking forward to exploring wide angle photography.

03-14-2018, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #9
tax

Photos: Albums
I think, every time you get a new camera you are gambling to a certain degree. If your present K-1 works flawlessly and you are happy with it, then getting a new K-1 Mark II will not guarantee that something did not slip through Ricoh's QC, which may require sending your new camera to Precision Camera for repair or calibration. In my case, I had a white dot issue in my K-1 from the get go. Sent it twice to PC for a warranty repair. First time they did literally nothing but some "calibration and cleaning," and the problem persisted. Second time they changed the entire sensor (SR block) and the white dot problem is gone for good. Now, it is perfectly functioning K-1 camera which was originally produced in Sep. 2016 with a new sensor (SR block) produced in Jan. 2018 and with just around 4K shutter count. At this point, I am not willing to gamble again and get a brand new K-1 Mark II camera. I can take a lower risk by upgrading my perfectly functioning K-1 mainboard to Mark II specs. The most important, expensive and more sensitive to QC failures is the camera sensor. Everything else is secondary. $550 is not a big price to upgrade your already perfect K-1 to a higher level of perfection, without taking an unnecessary risk of buying a brand new camera again.
03-14-2018, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll throw this out as a possible determining factor. It would appear that some K-1 bodies have shutter shock, and others do not. I have tried with multiple lenses in different scenarios to produce shutter shock with my body, and I just can't induce it. So, I think I have a body that doesn't suffer from it. That made it a no-brainer to keep my body and upgrade it versus suffering a several hundred dollar loss (don't forget you're going to pay fees to eBay and PayPal etc. to sell yours) and gambling that I get a body that might have shutter shock issues.
03-14-2018, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
I'm not sure I understand the question, but if it involves what skill, or feature, that i would get from the K-1 II that I don't have with my K-1, the answer is the new handheld Pixel Shift Resolution capability. My K-1 is now used almost exclusively for landscapes on a tripod with PSR but the option of being able to use the K-1 II quickly handheld with PSR will be useful for me.

---------- Post added 03-14-18 at 04:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You could sell it on the Marketplace or elsewhere for a lot more than $750
[
Perhaps now Adam but will that be so after the K=1 II is on the market? I can't sell mine ahead of time and be without a camera. But thanks for the advice.

---------- Post added 03-14-18 at 04:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tax Quote
I think, every time you get a new camera you are gambling to a certain degree. If your present K-1 works flawlessly and you are happy with it, then getting a new K-1 Mark II will not guarantee that something did not slip through Ricoh's QC, which may require sending your new camera to Precision Camera for repair or calibration. In my case, I had a white dot issue in my K-1 from the get go. Sent it twice to PC for a warranty repair. First time they did literally nothing but some "calibration and cleaning," and the problem persisted. Second time they changed the entire sensor (SR block) and the white dot problem is gone for good. Now, it is perfectly functioning K-1 camera which was originally produced in Sep. 2016 with a new sensor (SR block) produced in Jan. 2018 and with just around 4K shutter count. At this point, I am not willing to gamble again and get a brand new K-1 Mark II camera. I can take a lower risk by upgrading my perfectly functioning K-1 mainboard to Mark II specs. The most important, expensive and more sensitive to QC failures is the camera sensor. Everything else is secondary. $550 is not a big price to upgrade your already perfect K-1 to a higher level of perfection, without taking an unnecessary risk of buying a brand new camera again.
Thanks Tax. I hadn't considered that, being stuck on the "new is better" reasoningl

---------- Post added 03-14-18 at 04:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I'll throw this out as a possible determining factor. It would appear that some K-1 bodies have shutter shock, and others do not. I have tried with multiple lenses in different scenarios to produce shutter shock with my body, and I just can't induce it. So, I think I have a body that doesn't suffer from it. That made it a no-brainer to keep my body and upgrade it versus suffering a several hundred dollar loss (don't forget you're going to pay fees to eBay and PayPal etc. to sell yours) and gambling that I get a body that might have shutter shock issues.
I almost always use electronic shutter with my K-1 and don't know if it has any shutter shock or not - if it does I haven't recognized it. But that's another reason to go with the upgrade - thanks.

Last edited by wanderer2; 03-14-2018 at 03:30 PM.
03-14-2018, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Perhaps now Adam but will that be so after the K=1 II is on the market? I can't sell mine ahead of time and be without a camera. But thanks for the advice.
The K-1 has only dropped in price by $100 as a result of the K-1 II's announcement. So, I don't think it's going to result in a significant drop on the second-hand market. B&H is offering just over half of what camera's fair market value, IMO.

Another thing to consider is that we are an international community. Buyers in other countries may be willing to pay a little more to import because local prices are still much higher.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-14-2018, 05:51 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am in the process of getting another K-1 and the K-1 Mark II announcement came. However, I might get a K-1 as the price is very attractive $1600 for such a great camera. My biggest worry is about the additional hardware change with K-1 Mark II and the QC (or lack there of) regarding the new Camera. Also, the only attractive feature for K-1 Mark II for me is the improve AF algorithm, but I am not sure what would be the improvement.

-Emsee
03-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure I understand the question, but if it involves what skill, or feature, that i would get from the K-1 II that I don't have with my K-1, the answer is the new handheld Pixel Shift Resolution capability. My K-1 is now used almost exclusively for landscapes on a tripod with PSR but the option of being able to use the K-1 II quickly handheld with PSR will be useful for me.
Well, in addition to the hand held pixel shift you mention, you get improved noise reduction throughout the ISO range. The indication from Pentax is that as part of the new image processor, which makes big improvements in high ISO, they redid the algorithms across the entire range, and there is benefit everywhere. And while not a priority for your landscape, there are supposed to be improvements in autofocus, especially tracking. So, the next time a neat bird flies by while shooting some landscapes, just grab the whole rig, point it at the sky, and let her rip!
03-14-2018, 10:37 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I'll throw this out as a possible determining factor. It would appear that some K-1 bodies have shutter shock, and others do not
There is a chance that this shutter shock was on the first batches of production, Ricoh may have corrected it without acknowledging it. Same as SDM , they never acknowledged it, but SDM had much less failure rates after 2012, they never clearly acknowledged the issue.