Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2018, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma Lens Repairs for Damage to Pentax K-1 Mark II

I own the Sigma 150-500 lens that scratches the K-1 body. One of the few lenses that does this apparently.

But my camera was the K-5. Until I pre-ordered the K-1 Mark II. So I emailed Sigma asking about the service they would perform for K-1 owners and will it be the same for Mark II owners.

Sigma replied back and will do the repairs. Here is the reply:

Thank you for contacting Sigma. The problem you described sounds like we need to update the firmware and mount on your lens to work with all the features of your newer camera. We can update it at no charge for you. If there are any other issues we will send you an estimate before starting any repairs. If you want to send it in, please go to Sigma Corporation of America | Sigma Corporation of America and click on the service and support link. Fill and print out the “online repair form” enclose your product send to 15 Fleetwood Court, Ronkonkoma, NY 11779. We cannot receive or send lenses outside the United States. If you are outside the country please go to World network | About SIGMA | SIGMA GLOBAL VISION and find your closest service center.

I saw some comments on other threads saying the scratch was nothing and there was no need to send it in for something so minor. But a firmware update sounds like something that should be done. So I will be sending it in.

I am curious of the turn around time for Sigma. Anyone know? I have a month or so before I see my new K-1 Mark II so hopefully it will not take too long.

03-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
Sigma Lens Repairs for Damage to Pentax K-1 Mark II
I own the Sigma 70-200 EX DG OS and also I asked before about the problem into the pentaxforums with the Pentax K1,
then I wrote to Sigma in Germany, where the lens was bought and this is the answer, i. e. I have to pay 36€.

This is the answer:

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

thank you for messaging. You find the description of the problem here: SIGMA GLOBAL VISION

You can send your lens to your nearest SIGMA service department to fix the problem. You can find a list of all SIGMA services here: World network | About SIGMA | SIGMA GLOBAL VISION

Or you can send your lens with a description of the problem and your contact data to SIGMA Germany.

But please let me tell you that we have to charge the shipping costs to you, which are about 36,-€.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
03-14-2018, 05:24 PM   #3

Exemplary Sigma service - PentaxForums.com
Sigma lens scratches on K1 - PentaxForums.com
05-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I sent my Sigma 70-200 to the repair centre in Ontario, from Vancouver. The repair is free but it cost me CAD$95 to post it with insurance. They've had it nearly two weeks now and it has only just gone in to the queue for repair work. I fear it may be gone some time. Luckily my 50-500 was relatively new so has the new mount already.

05-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #5
maw
Pentaxian

Updating compatibility between some Sigma and Pentax K1 and K1 MrkII lenses

I had already written and published "see above" Sigma Deutchland's answer.

Today I reviewed the Sigma website again and found this article from a few days ago. Photos of the compatibility between some lenses and Pentax K1 and K1 MrkII bodies are shown. With the APS-C bodies there is no problem.You can read the article and the lenses that may have this problem.
I took a picture of my SIGMA APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM and seems to belong to the list of lenses that need modification,
who owns or buys certain Sigma lenses is better than check before.Images and compatibility.

If you own a PENTAX K-1 Mark II

Current Line-Up & Discontinued Lenses

05-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Sigma 150-500 DG OS also. When I had a K-1 I had the lens mount and firmware update done at the Ronkonkoma Sigma location. I sent it via Fedex and it was there in approx. 1-2 days. It was updated and sent back to me in approx. 2-3 more days. So it only took about a week or less to complete the process. They at one point sent me an email invoice stating that the OS feature be repaired for approx. $200, but I called them and told them that I did not want the OS (optical stabilization) repaired because I have SR on (shake reduction) in my Pentax camera body. So they updated the mount and firmware on the lens and sent it back to me. I have since returned the K-1 and purchased a K-1 II. I called the Sigma representative at Ronkonkoma location and he told me the update for the K-1 was the same as the K-1 II body. So I am all set.

The only shipping I paid was to send the lens, by Fedex. The return shipping was free and the lens works fine.
05-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have the Sigma 150-500 DG OS also. When I had a K-1 I had the lens mount and firmware update done at the Ronkonkoma Sigma location. I sent it via Fedex and it was there in approx. 1-2 days. It was updated and sent back to me in approx. 2-3 more days. So it only took about a week or less to complete the process. They at one point sent me an email invoice stating that the OS feature be repaired for approx. $200, but I called them and told them that I did not want the OS (optical stabilization) repaired because I have SR on (shake reduction) in my Pentax camera body. So they updated the mount and firmware on the lens and sent it back to me. I have since returned the K-1 and purchased a K-1 II. I called the Sigma representative at Ronkonkoma location and he told me the update for the K-1 was the same as the K-1 II body. So I am all set.

The only shipping I paid was to send the lens, by Fedex. The return shipping was free and the lens works fine.

Judging by the image it seems to belong to the model to be modified, so I will ship it, for the modification Sigma in Germany have asked me 36€.

05-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote

That is great to hear. I have not sent mine in yet. But need it in late June for an Airshow.
05-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
That is great to hear. I have not sent mine in yet. But need it in late June for an Airshow.
Evidently it is not a lengthy process. When it is being processed you may want to check your email for communication, just to know if they want an okay for anything from you. If you get an invoice that lists any cost, it is not for your lens mount/software update, and you can communicate to them what you want and don't want. I would advise including your email and a contact phone number when you send the lens in. You should be fine.