Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When can we expect to K-1 II to reviewed

I'm wondering when we can expect an official review of the new model to come out. I'm sure we are not going to have to wait until mid-April to get to see this camera put through it's paces. Anyone know when? I'm mainly interested in the auto focusing algorithm.

03-16-2018, 08:31 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Probably within a month of release or so, because of how limited the changes are. The focus will of course be on image quality.

I suspect the AF improvements are going to be minor, but we'll definitely check out the performance methodically to see where things may have gotten better.
03-16-2018, 09:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
I'm wondering when we can expect an official review of the new model to come out.
Well this wasnʻt an official review, but hereʻs one early hands-on article from yesterday:

CP+ 2018: Hands-on with the Pentax K-1 Mark II and D FA* 50mm F1.4: Digital Photography Review
03-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I saw that "Hands-On Review" but that's not actual testing just handling it at the booth.

03-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
I saw that "Hands-On Review" but that's not actual testing just handling it at the booth.
Yes, that's correct, which is why I wrote it was not an official review; just an early hands-on report.

Why are you, "sure we are not going to have to wait until mid-April to get to see this camera put through it's paces."??

I would agree with Adam that major AF improvements are not going to be high priority for the K-1 II, although using it with a fast 50 will help any AF system.
03-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #6
tax

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I suspect the AF improvements are going to be minor, but we'll definitely check out the performance methodically to see where things may have gotten better.
I wonder, whether this AF improvement will be available for existing K-1's through the firmware updates. It seems that the only circuitry which was added to K-1 II motherboard is just the accelerator unit and nothing else.
03-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by tax Quote
I wonder, whether this AF improvement will be available for existing K-1's through the firmware updates. It seems that the only circuitry which was added to K-1 II motherboard is just the accelerator unit and nothing else.
Maybe, but probably not. It wouldn't make much sense from a business/time perspective, especially since K-1's can become a K-1 II via the hardware upgrade.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-16-2018, 11:26 AM   #8
tax

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Maybe, but probably not. It wouldn't make much sense from a business/time perspective, especially since K-1's can become a K-1 II via the hardware upgrade.
Are you suggesting that there are going to be two incompatible firmware updates separately for K-1 and K-1 II? Wouldn't it to be easier from a business perspectives to maintain a universal firmware for both K-1 and K-1 II, so new features not present in the existing K-1 will be just disabled or turned off?

03-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by tax Quote
Are you suggesting that there are going to be two incompatible firmware updates separately for K-1 and K-1 II? Wouldn't it to be easier from a business perspectives to maintain a universal firmware for both K-1 and K-1 II, so new features not present in the existing K-1 will be just disabled or turned off?
Yes, they will use different firmware (K-1 firmware for the K-1, and K-1 II firmware for the K-1 II, regardless of whether it was purchased new or upgraded from a K-1). Speculating about the development technicalities depends on a lot of unknowns, so it's hard to say.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-16-2018, 11:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Yes, that's correct, which is why I wrote it was not an official review; just an early hands-on report.

Why are you, "sure we are not going to have to wait until mid-April to get to see this camera put through it's paces."??

I would agree with Adam that major AF improvements are not going to be high priority for the K-1 II, although using it with a fast 50 will help any AF system.
Someone will get a early release model and run it through some test and do a YouTube video on it so that they can be the first one to give a video review and get the most views.
03-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I'm very curious to see if there are any noise improvement at ISO 6400 - 25600, and how good the handheld PSR works.
03-16-2018, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I guess quite soon - since the D850 is already here, there's no need (L.E. for DPR) to wait for the next Canikon model.
The review should consist of downplaying the image quality, complaining how the dynamic pixel shift takes a lot of time, and "testing" the AF by making sure it "fails" - then claiming there's no improvement.

DxOMark would leak the camera's score - highest to date - in a Sony review, then remove all traces and pretend it didn't happen.

Imaging Resource would gradually add to their K-1 II page; as for this site... I guess we'll see something not long after the camera becomes available.

Last edited by Kunzite; 03-17-2018 at 02:12 AM.