Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2018, 07:55 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-1 mark 2 FAQ posted

Ricoh Imaging Japan has posted a quite extensive FAQ on the K-1 mark 2 on their website. It seems to be only available in Japanese, but I think it’s worth posting because it might clear up some details people have been concerned about.

PENTAX K-1 Mark II|???????FAQ|????&???? | RICOH IMAGING

03-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for this, JPT. Lots of info there. However, I still am unsure if it is possible to use flash with the new Real Resolution system. Anybody know? The tables are a bit confusing.
03-19-2018, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Google Translated to English

Pentax K-1 Mark II (Google Translated to English)
03-19-2018, 11:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I started reading the FAQ's and have "stumbled" across this new item (well at least to me)....
  • FAQ - What kind of function is "composition fine adjustment"? - In addition to just shifting the image up/down/left/right a max of 24 units, if the shift amount is less than 17 units, then you can also adjust tilt (with a maximum of 8 steps). What units and steps actually translate to in terms of physical dimensions - it does not say?

03-19-2018, 11:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Thanks for this, JPT. Lots of info there. However, I still am unsure if it is possible to use flash with the new Real Resolution system. Anybody know? The tables are a bit confusing.
I don't think you can use flash with Pixel shift. The camera takes 4 images in quick succession. The flash would need to recharge between each capture.

---------- Post added 03-20-18 at 07:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I started reading the FAQ's and have "stumbled" across this new item (well at least to me)....
  • FAQ - What kind of function is "composition fine adjustment"? - In addition to just shifting the image up/down/left/right a max of 24 units, if the shift amount is less than 17 units, then you can also adjust tilt (with a maximum of 8 steps). What units and steps actually translate to in terms of physical dimensions - it does not say?

This is the same as the present composition adjustment. Never tried it myself but I understand it can be used to correct verticals almost like a shift lens.

Last edited by pschlute; 03-20-2018 at 01:36 AM.
03-20-2018, 01:10 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
thanks for the help with translation
03-20-2018, 01:26 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
This is the same as the present composition adjustment. Never tried it myself but I understand it can be used to correct verticals almost like a shift lens.
Just tried it on the K1. It shifts the sensor in a vertical or horizontal plane and rotates the sensor, but does not tilt it. Not sure how useful this is when dealing with converging verticals.

Last edited by pschlute; 03-20-2018 at 01:36 AM.
03-20-2018, 02:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

"Please tell me the characteristics of the 8.6 megapixel RGB metering sensor"
Did they really increase the number of pixels on the metering sensor from 860,000 to 8.6 millions?
03-20-2018, 03:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Did they really increase the number of pixels on the metering sensor from 860,000 to 8.6 millions?
If they did, it would be awesome. Face detection in PDAF here we come, plus all sorts of other goodies become possible!

But I suspect it is an error - they meant 86k pixel but wrote 8.6 M pixel.
03-20-2018, 03:47 AM   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote

Now, that would be cool! The usefulness of this depends on what a "step" is, of course. Looking forward to seeing how much of a tilt we will get
03-20-2018, 04:24 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Now, that would be cool! The usefulness of this depends on what a "step" is, of course. Looking forward to seeing how much of a tilt we will get
Don't get excited. For "tilt" read "rotate". This is not new, it already exists on the K1
03-20-2018, 04:39 AM   #12
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't get excited. For "tilt" read "rotate". This is not new, it already exists on the K1
You're probably right. Tilt would be nice, though
03-20-2018, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Just tried it on the K1. It shifts the sensor in a vertical or horizontal plane and rotates the sensor, but does not tilt it. Not sure how useful this is when dealing with converging verticals.
Have a look at the review of the Samyang tilt-shift, I tested that for comparison's sake.

It can be VERY useful, especially for large buildings. It's not as effective as a tilt-shift lens but way better than nothing. It's a feature I use regularly, especially when shooting large buildings. Pentax's implementation is easy to use, except when you want to reset the composition adjustment after taking your pictures, I haven't figured how to to this except by deactivating and re-activating it.
03-20-2018, 05:07 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It all comes down to what Pentax intended to indicate or convey - they are not really specific, beyond the translation coming up with "tilt". I don't read Japanese, so I really don't know if they intended to use "tilt" or "rotate". I'm taking it somewhat half heartily to mean "tilt" - given the 5-axis image stabilization system, does have a small amount of out of XY plane movement into the XYZ plane with the sensor. Thus, if the 5-axis image stabilization allows a slight amount of tilt, changing the main circuit board with updated software which may allow the user to specify a small amount of out of plane - "tilt" would be new.

On the other hand, Pentax allows up to a couple of degree XY plane "rotate" for the purpose of leveling. This could also be an addition via the software. There is no way to really know at the present time.

The 5-axis system that Olympus implemented allows yaw and pitch - so providing "tilt" is not out of the question. It's all a matter of what Pentax actually allows in the mkII, and how they are currently describing their intent.It would be nice if they did provide some margin of "tilt".

03-20-2018, 05:31 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Have a look at the review of the Samyang tilt-shift, I tested that for comparison's sake.

It can be VERY useful, especially for large buildings. It's not as effective as a tilt-shift lens but way better than nothing. It's a feature I use regularly, especially when shooting large buildings. Pentax's implementation is easy to use, except when you want to reset the composition adjustment after taking your pictures, I haven't figured how to to this except by deactivating and re-activating it.
Thanks for that. I must give it a try out.

If you go to the memory settings and untick composition adjustment it will turn off each time you power off the camera