Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2018, 05:20 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The reason I asked is because I thought that the Real Resolution mode did not use electronic shutter which would mean it could send a flash trigger signal at each of the four exposures.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Wouldn’t your flash have to recharge in 0.25 seconds?
One solution is to use a flash with Li-Ion battery, these are becoming more common. I regularly use the Godox V850 but now there are others.

03-22-2018, 03:02 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would an HSS type flash work? It does a longer flash duration for higher shutter speeds, so would that be long enough for all the PS frames? I'd think not; the pulse timings would be off, no? Never thought to try it, although I have used HSS on my K-3ii on occasion.
03-22-2018, 11:49 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
One solution is to use a flash with Li-Ion battery, these are becoming more common. I regularly use the Godox V850 but now there are others.
???

A Godox V850 has recycle time of 1.79 seconds for a full power shot (often, "1.5 seconds" are reported, but I'm going with actual measurements here).

This is excellent, but nowhere near "0.25 seconds".
03-22-2018, 11:51 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Would an HSS type flash work?
I'm certain it won't.

An HSS burst is designed to cover a single shutter opening/closing event and a bit around that as safety margins. No way that will suffice for four shutter actuations.

03-23-2018, 05:12 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
A Godox V850 has recycle time of 1.79 seconds for a full power shot (often, "1.5 seconds" are reported, but I'm going with actual measurements here).

This is excellent, but nowhere near "0.25 seconds".
I know you don't like the Godox system, but earlier in the conversation, people mentioned using an array of flashes at 1/128 (was that you?). At or below 1/8 power, a Godox V850 can keep up with a K-3 firing at 8 images per second. That's certainly enough, and better than 1/128.
03-23-2018, 05:58 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm certain it won't.

An HSS burst is designed to cover a single shutter opening/closing event and a bit around that as safety margins. No way that will suffice for four shutter actuations.
This has gotten me thinking more about battery powered LED's. Wouldn't it be lovely if you could sync up HSS flash for PS, though. I know that mostly the uses of HSS don't involve things that are still (quite the opposite), but I'm exploring it for its ability to create odd looking light effects in landscape/art situations.
03-23-2018, 07:37 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I know you don't like the Godox system,
I'm not sure why you think you "know" that.
It is most certainly not true that I dislike the Godox system as a rule.
It has aspects that I have critical opinions of, but it also has very good aspects.

but earlier in the conversation, people mentioned using an array of flashes at 1/128
Sure, and that's a perfectly valid point.

Reducing flash power to obtain faster recycling rates is a valid technique and is worth passing on as a tip.

Claiming that a different type of battery is the solution, is not a valid point and invites being challenged.

There are AA-powered battery flashes that recycle within 1.9s from a full power shot. Are you saying that the 0.11s, the V850 with its Li-Ion battery is faster than that is making any practical difference?

At 1/8 power, I wouldn't expect any significant difference between quickly recycling speedlights, independently of the battery type they are using.
At or below 1/8 power, a Godox V850 can keep up with a K-3 firing at 8 images per second.
If you had said, "you can shoot much longer with an Li-Ion battery" or "changing one Li-Ion battery is way more convenient than changing four AA batteries", I wouldn't have challenged you. But you made a questionable claim about the battery type being a significant factor in terms of recycling speed. This may have been true when speedlights like the Canon 540 EZ took about 6s to recycle with AA batteries, but it is no longer a valid point nowadays.

03-23-2018, 07:42 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Wouldn't it be lovely if you could sync up HSS flash for PS, though.
I'm pretty sure you can do that already.

Besides, HSS is a technique required for speedlights which otherwise would create too short a pulse.

As a continuous light source, an LED does not require any syncing technology. The only need for that would be requiring more power output than the LED light can emit continuously and obtaining more power by briefly flashing the LED. The latter technique already exists and I'd be surprised if it weren't compatible with HSS-syncing.\

EDIT: There you go: "Rotolight’s NEO 2 is an LED Continuous Light That Doubles as a HSS Flash".
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Wouldn't it be lovely if you could sync up HSS flash for PS, though.

Besides, HSS is a technique required for speedlights which otherwise would create too short a pulse.

As a continuous light source, an LED does not require any syncing technology. The only need for that would be requiring more power output than the LED light can emit continuously and obtaining more power by briefly flashing the LED. The latter technique already exists and I'd be surprised if it weren't compatible with HSS-syncing.\

EDIT: There you go: "Rotolight’s NEO 2 is an LED Continuous Light That Doubles as a HSS Flash". This still may not produce the power output you may need and the quality of colour reproduction is another issue worth paying attention to. Even a good (high) CRI index is not a guarantee for a satisfactory colour spectrum.
03-23-2018, 09:31 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

EDIT: There you go: "Rotolight’s NEO 2 is an LED Continuous Light That Doubles as a HSS Flash".

EDIT: There you go: "Rotolight’s NEO 2 is an LED Continuous Light That Doubles as a HSS Flash". This still may not produce the power output you may need and the quality of colour reproduction is another issue worth paying attention to. Even a good (high) CRI index is not a guarantee for a satisfactory colour spectrum.
Yes, I've seen those and am intrigued, great recycle and battery powered-----but they are relatively low powered, Elinchrom committed, and it's unclear they are compatible with Pentax at this time.
03-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, that Neo 2 is quite the thing. Kind of the wave of the future I'd guess. Super versatile, and it was amazing to see what light it can put out on just AAs. Wonder if LEDs like that are gonna come in even smaller packages? I've used some LED flashlights that can put out amazing light in very small packages. Not flash intensity, but for like macros pretty nice.

Thanks for the info.
05-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
It all comes down to what Pentax intended to indicate or convey - they are not really specific, beyond the translation coming up with "tilt". I don't read Japanese, so I really don't know if they intended to use "tilt" or "rotate". I'm taking it somewhat half heartily to mean "tilt" - given the 5-axis image stabilization system, does have a small amount of out of XY plane movement into the XYZ plane with the sensor. Thus, if the 5-axis image stabilization allows a slight amount of tilt, changing the main circuit board with updated software which may allow the user to specify a small amount of out of plane - "tilt" would be new.

On the other hand, Pentax allows up to a couple of degree XY plane "rotate" for the purpose of leveling. This could also be an addition via the software. There is no way to really know at the present time.

The 5-axis system that Olympus implemented allows yaw and pitch - so providing "tilt" is not out of the question. It's all a matter of what Pentax actually allows in the mkII, and how they are currently describing their intent.It would be nice if they did provide some margin of "tilt".

Great video showing how it works on the OM