Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
Forum Member

K1 Battery Grip

The battery grip came with my body but other than having vertical controls I do not see any advantage to using the grip as it only holds one battery. Does anyone else use the grip?

Thanks,

William

03-25-2018, 10:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Yes, I use it quite often, especially doing portraits with heavy lenses. It adds stability and weight, allows vertical orientation to use more conveniently.
For small lenses I don't see any advantages
03-25-2018, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You have one battery in the camera and one battery in the grip, so twice the shooting life. You get the vertical controls and possibly extra stability.

What exactly were you expecting from it in addition ?
03-25-2018, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I'm using battery grips starting from the K20D, up to the K-3 I had a need for, because the handling with the grip was better.
With the K-1 there was no need anymore, because the body has a little more height - fitting to my hands better. But a grip
was part of the package when I've bought the camera. I've learned that I'm used to the vertical control, therefore I'm using the K-1 with grip.

Other manufacturers remove the battery from the body to grip, and claim that there are two batteries in the grip. pentax is
the other way round, the battery stays in the body and an additional is in the grip - two in total like the others. This has one
benefit, the camera stays fully operational, even when removing or adding the grip - the others you have to remove one
battery from the grip and add it to the body camera not functional in between. There is a drawback too, if the grip is
mounted and the internal battery gets empty, you have to remove the grip. In my setup is battery in the grip first - the
internal one I'm loading once in 6 month, otherwise I'm only exchanging the battery in the grip.

And another fortune, the grip has the possibilty to use 6 AA batteries, you can use the camera even when there is no
possibilty to load the original batteries. AA-cell can be bought nearly everywhere. But I think some of the other will
have the same.

03-25-2018, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #5
tax

Photos: Albums
I was contemplating buying it, but after trying for a day borrowed K-1 grip decided against it. It substantially enlarges camera footprint and makes the camera somewhat unwieldy, especially if you are on a tour or on a hiking trip. The camera does not fit in its fitted case with the grip on. In order to charge camera battery, you have to remove the battery grip. I found that just carrying an extra battery in my pocket negates the perceived advantages of this camera grip.

Last edited by tax; 03-26-2018 at 05:23 PM.
03-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Having two batteries in the grip as other manufacturers do is one of the main advantages of having it in my opinion. The only other reason I can see for using this grip is if you had very large hands as this would help with handling.
03-25-2018, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Especially when using supertelephoto lenses, the balance of the combination with BG is better. It also prevents changing the battery.

03-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wmsnyder65 Quote
Having two batteries in the grip as other manufacturers do is one of the main advantages of having it in my opinion. The only other reason I can see for using this grip is if you had very large hands as this would help with handling.
But don't those grips take up the body's full internal battery compartment? So you still only end up with two batteries.

Also, if you ever tilted the camera for portrait mode and do the stupid chicken-wing thing with your arms, you'll know how much more stable a vertical grip allows you to be.
03-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
But don't those grips take up the body's full internal battery compartment? So you still only end up with two batteries.

Also, if you ever tilted the camera for portrait mode and do the stupid chicken-wing thing with your arms, you'll know how much more stable a vertical grip allows you to be.
True you still only have two batteries but you do not have to remove the grip to access the second battery with other manufacturers. It is a minor nuisance but I was just curious what other users were doing.
03-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #10

Want to sell it?
03-25-2018, 12:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I want tone for extended imaging time with my K1 while doing astrophotography
03-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

in astrophotography the camera stays fully functional all the time. You switch it of, open the battery compartment. Switch the camera on and it still works, exchange the the battery, Camera off, add the battery. Camera on and all is available again.
03-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ascencio Quote
Want to sell it?
I think I do.
03-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-1 did not have the grip with the package, it is the first Pentax camera I’ve had since the K10 D that I did not have a grip. While I don’t use it for hiking, I really miss it for portraits and paid work. I also always have mine set to deplete the grip battery first as there’s no need to remove the grip to change the battery, a set up I think is the best in the industry.
03-25-2018, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

My Pentax K10D, K5 and K1 all have the optional battery grip, which I use to carry an extra battery, extra card and my remote control.

So it's handy for those purposes, but the prime reason I have it, is because I have big hands...XL in fact, according to any and all gloves I buy.

The extra surface area of the battery grip allows me to get a good purchase on the camera. I wouldn't be without it. Even my K1 sans grip...wasn't comfortable for me, my hands just seemed to always be looking for extra grip area.