Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2018, 08:35 AM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OMG. They still have their software on a CD and not a download? Hilarious.

From the comments it appears that the handheld-PS results in a big ol' DNG or PEF, but I'd imagine that within there are separate images, as with regular PS. Pentax support says somewhere that they can be separated out, so I assume that's by DCU (or of course dcraw or maybe Rawtherapee).

04-08-2018, 08:50 AM   #92
Pentaxian

No, DCU can't separate them, you can (with the "normal" Pixel Shift) just choose to do the Pixel Shift processing or use the first frame only.
RawTherapee can't separate them either, but in addition to DCU you can choose which image you want to use.
04-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rawtherapee (which uses a patched version of dcraw as its raw developer) certainly can separate an "old" pixel shift image into its constituent files. It cannot (currently) handle the new Real Resolution method.
04-08-2018, 12:22 PM   #94
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
All 4 images are embedded in a single file. You should be able to use Rawtherapee to access the individual files.
Hmm... could you share one of your Dynamic Pixel Shift RAWs? I'd like to take a look.
The files are to big to upload here on the site. I'm sorry.

04-08-2018, 02:58 PM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
...the new Real Resolution method.
Can you show me where Pentax describes what Real Resolution is? Unless it's the same as Pixel Shift, because I've looked and can only find references to Pixel Shift.
04-08-2018, 03:11 PM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Can you show me where Pentax describes what Real Resolution is? Unless it's the same as Pixel Shift, because I've looked and can only find references to Pixel Shift.
Not sure where it was detailed, but the two methods are categorically different. The pixel shift method needs a tripod and stationary camera to work since the sensor does the moving. The new Real Resolution method relies on slight movement of the camera as when handheld. The four frames are then aligned in-camera. This is sumilar to existing Super Resolution methods.
04-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Pretty much any of the threads in the rumors section that are about the K-1 II have a discussion about the difference. The real resolution system uses SR to take out moving objects and still make a high resolution image. It does not move the sensor 1 pixel each shot. I think it has to be processed in camera so takes time after capturing the image.

04-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Pretty much any of the threads in the rumors section that are about the K-1 II have a discussion about the difference. The real resolution system uses SR to take out moving objects and still make a high resolution image. It does not move the sensor 1 pixel each shot. I think it has to be processed in camera so takes time after capturing the image.
Right. However, I have not been able to corroborate any of that info with something written by Pentax that describes the same feature. After posting my question, I remembered an earlier discussion by someone that the Japanese refer to Pixel Shift as "Real Resolution." Lo and behold, the only hit I could find on Google that doesn't go back to the discussions on these forums is represented in the image attached to this post. Note that "Real Resolution" uses the same icon as "Pixel Shift." So, I'm inclined to think somebody somewhere got their wires crossed and created a new function that does not exist. It sounds interesting though, and if you can find evidence that it's a real thing, that'll be great!
Attached Images

04-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #99
Forum Member

HDR means that the chip isn't moved. Instead, for a HDR photo, the camera makes some (e.g. 3) photos with a different shutter speed or a different diafragm. In a second phase the camera combines these photos to one big single shot. During the combining job (which can take 20 seconds or more) the camera choses the best parts of all photos to create the definitive photo.
To make an HDR photo, the K1-II camera does not need to stand on a trypod. As long as the subject doesn't move, the photographer can hold the camera in his hands. The shake reduction is strong enough to compensate the vibrations caused by the photographer..
04-08-2018, 06:47 PM - 2 Likes   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@jcdoss Jason: The Dynamic Pixel Shift Resolution System is a real deal new technology. The Pixel Shift Resoluton System has been upgraded and is now called Pixel Shift System ll. Dynamic Pixel Shift doesn’t move the sensor in a deterministic fashion. Rather the camera makes four captures and stores them, then the processor (probably the Accelrator Unit) uses the data stream from the motion sensors (accelerometer and gyro) after the fact to align the 4 images, similarly to aligning them in PP software to create a Super Resolution image. Here is the explanation from the Ricoh Imaging Japan website.
04-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From PENTAX K-1 MARK II re handheld high res:

QuoteQuote:
Dynamic Pixel Shift Resolution

Since we introduce Pixel Shift Resolution, we have received many request to use without the use of a tripod. With the K-1 Mark II, we are able to achieve this request by featuring Dynamic Pixel Shift Resolution. To select Dynamic Pixel Shift Resolution, select -> Pixel Shift Resolution -> Image Stabilization On, which appears as one of the modes in the Pixel Shift Resolution menu.

This technology is a revolutionary technology which comes from reverse thinking to utilize the minute camera shake itself to produce the composite images. Therefore, by detecting the camera shake in three dimensions, the continuously captured four images are analyzed based on the detected camera shake information and produce one super high resolution image.

During the Dynamic Pixel Shift Resolution, as the image is not captured using sensor movement like traditional Pixel Shift Resolution, the SR II system can be used to correct for camera shake. By coupling both features, Dynamic Pixel Shift Resolution can be effectively used during low light situations even without tripod. From the technology point of view, when you are using tripod, the Pixel Shift Resolution II images will produce higher resolution.
04-08-2018, 09:30 PM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just so some people do not get the wrong idea, the old and the new methods are available from the same screen. So it isn't throwing out the baby with the bath water.
04-09-2018, 02:41 AM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Right. However, I have not been able to corroborate any of that info with something written by Pentax that describes the same feature. After posting my question, I remembered an earlier discussion by someone that the Japanese refer to Pixel Shift as "Real Resolution." Lo and behold, the only hit I could find on Google that doesn't go back to the discussions on these forums is represented in the image attached to this post. Note that "Real Resolution" uses the same icon as "Pixel Shift." So, I'm inclined to think somebody somewhere got their wires crossed and created a new function that does not exist. It sounds interesting though, and if you can find evidence that it's a real thing, that'll be great!
I think Monochrome's explanation is the closest to what I understand. The camera is taking four images that are all slightly different due to camera shake and aligning them. The end result is a boost in resolution and a decrease in noise, but not to the level of what traditional pixel shift does. Also, I would doubt that there is the improvement in color depth that you see with regular pixel shift.

Anyway, I do think it is a real thing, but calling it pixel shift is a misnomer since the camera isn't shifting the sensor in a specific way. Real Resolution probably is a better term.
04-09-2018, 03:10 AM   #104
Pentaxian

At this time it's not there yet a serious ISO comparison between old and new k-1 .... SGRUNT!

---------- Post added 09-04-18 at 12:22 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The accelerator unit was introduced to the market a mere 4 months after the K-1, with the K-70.
but the k-1's motherboard has space for him.....
04-09-2018, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #105
Veteran Member

I said in another thread that I dont understand RICOH marketing.

Here we are on the #1 Pentax spot on the internet, and yet the owners of this site are still waiting for the new K1-II body to be shipped to them in order to make a review.
Folks from all over the planet have started to receive their copies as soon as a week ago, but thats not their job to do some comparison tests and reviews.

Maybe Im wrong and PF has a copy of the newer body, but that seems strange they dont advertise it so far.

Pentax engineers and gear are amazingly good, but I feel they are betrayed by the marketing folks sometimes.