Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 96 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2018, 02:54 AM - 2 Likes   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Królik Quote
I can't wait for my K1 II then. A pity they are not available in Poland yet

My K20D with 100 mm f/2.8 macro hunts a lot even in moderately good light and AF.C is terrible. I tried it to track seagulls in flight once and I got 1 sharp picture per 50 (yes, I mean it, one per fifty or even less), and 3 moderately sharp per 50, all the others totally blurred OOF. Don't know why, but WR macro has the slowest AF of all my lenses - I don't get hunting so often on FA 50 f/1.4 or DA lenses.

If AF works on K1 II reliably then it opens a completely new set of possibilities.

Also if these AF improvements are real, why Ricoh doesn't shout about it everywhere? It looks like a bigger thing than high ISO and handheld PSR.

Another review confirms much better AF:
Enfoque de la Pentax K-1 Mark II: ¿ha mejorado con respecto a la K-1?
I wouldn't use the DFA 100 to track sea gulls, regardless of the camera it was on. If it had a focus limiter, it might be usable, but as it is, any time the camera misses the focus it racks from one end of the focus range to the other and macro lenses have really long focus throws. Your best option when shooting "real world" (non-macro) images with DFA 100 is to keep it manually focused to infinity. Then, it usually doesn't have far to go to snap into focus -- most of its range is in the macro end of things.

04-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Re the pixel shift modes (I'm still a little unclear on what each is called, although Pentax says Pixel Shift Resolution System II for the K-1ii, now featuring a new "Dynamic Pixel Shift Resolution mode" for the handheld): what about raw shooting?

With classic PS, motion correction can be applied in camera to generate a JPEG, right (any other file type)? or you can do so from say a RAW DNG in post processing using DCU or other software.

With the new handheld mode can you shoot raw? or only JPEG? Pentax's blurb makes it sound like you can shoot RAW for this mode, and even if you don't get a successful output in the camera you're still left with raw images. But are they ONE DNG, like with classic PS? or a bracket or burst of 4 raw files that could be merged later with software? does this mode output a JPEG in camera only? or another file type?
04-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Re the pixel shift modes (I'm still a little unclear on what each is called, although Pentax says Pixel Shift Resolution System II for the K-1ii, now featuring a new "Dynamic Pixel Shift Resolution mode" for the handheld): what about raw shooting?

With classic PS, motion correction can be applied in camera to generate a JPEG, right (any other file type)? or you can do so from say a RAW DNG in post processing using DCU or other software.

With the new handheld mode can you shoot raw? or only JPEG? Pentax's blurb makes it sound like you can shoot RAW for this mode, and even if you don't get a successful output in the camera you're still left with raw images. But are they ONE DNG, like with classic PS? or a bracket or burst of 4 raw files that could be merged later with software? does this mode output a JPEG in camera only? or another file type?
I only shoot raw and I've shot plenty handheld pixel shifts
04-07-2018, 10:59 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Could you please check if there are still 4 separate images in the RAW file?

04-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
or will it be a PEF ?
04-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #81

QuoteQuote:
any time the camera misses the focus it racks from one end of the focus range to the other and macro lenses have really long focus throws
It wasn't that bad. I know it is not a good lens for that type of shooting, but I don't have a proper long tele lens yet. The problem I had, though, was that the camera actually confirmed focus many times, and looked as if it was tracking properly but the images were out of focus (I was panning and keeping the AF point on the object while holding back AF button). Quite likely the tracking was just too slow or imprecise with this lens. However, with different lens and for a bit slower objects AF works quite well even in moderately low light and I have no problems getting sharp shots of kids.
04-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #82

So, quick check on the pixelshift. Just took a pic in my low lit room. Single file .dng 140MB. imported to Lightroom, single file. in the folder on my computer it's a single file too. You can shoot in whichever format you please I think. I just changed initially from jpeg to raw when I got the camera and silly me didn't check for PEF vs DNG, so I shot in PEF not knowing until I tried to import it all. handholding the pixel shift is easy as pie. If you can handhold a "slow" shutter, you can easily handhold these. If you're quiet, you can hear the SR kick in when you halfpress the shutter, and that "vibration" noise carries out through the four exposures. It takes roughly 20 seconds to process it where the camera is locked. (status bar) Which to me isn't an issue if you use it with a purpose. So far I've taken maybe 5-6 pixel shifts and on none of them did I notice artifacts or blur. I have only tested it on motionless subjects.

04-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It wasn't that bad. I know it is not a good lens for that type of shooting, but I don't have a proper long tele lens yet. The problem I had, though, was that the camera actually confirmed focus many times, and looked as if it was tracking properly but the images were out of focus (I was panning and keeping the AF point on the object while holding back AF button). Quite likely the tracking was just too slow or imprecise with this lens. However, with different lens and for a bit slower objects AF works quite well even in moderately low light and I have no problems getting sharp shots of kids.
It probably couldn't keep up with speed of moving subjects in the photo. It'd confirm focus but subject moved already. K-1 is definitely not the best tracking camera out there (rumor says, the K-1 II update makes it a lot better), but I've tried birds in flight once, and it kept up quite well - Update your browser to use Google Drive - Google Drive Help.
04-07-2018, 02:54 PM   #84
Forum Member

Today I tried out my new K1-II. Of course I tried the hand hold pixel shift. And I'm happy: both the pixel shift as the HDR-modus work fine without a tripod, just by holding the camera in my hands.
My DNG photo's are just one big file. I don't see 4 different files/photos, neither in Lightroom 5.6, neither in Digital Camera Utility 5. The 4 original photos must be somewhere as the final DNG file is really big (180 MB whereas a non-pixel shift DNG file is 40-50 MB) but I don't find them.
The camera needs some time to create a pixel shift photo: after taking the photo the camera is working about half a minute to construct the definitive pixel shift file. (Also for a HDR photo, 150 MB big, the camera needs some time to construct the definitive DNG-file).
04-07-2018, 11:59 PM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by myrdinn Quote
Today I tried out my new K1-II. Of course I tried the hand hold pixel shift. And I'm happy: both the pixel shift as the HDR-modus work fine without a tripod, just by holding the camera in my hands.
My DNG photo's are just one big file. I don't see 4 different files/photos, neither in Lightroom 5.6, neither in Digital Camera Utility 5. The 4 original photos must be somewhere as the final DNG file is really big (180 MB whereas a non-pixel shift DNG file is 40-50 MB) but I don't find them.
The camera needs some time to create a pixel shift photo: after taking the photo the camera is working about half a minute to construct the definitive pixel shift file. (Also for a HDR photo, 150 MB big, the camera needs some time to construct the definitive DNG-file).
Are these handhled PSR pictures really sharper than what I could get just manually stacking pictures in PP?
04-07-2018, 11:59 PM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by myrdinn Quote
You can use the Digital Camera Utility from CD-ROM
04-08-2018, 01:51 AM   #87

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Indeed, according to the web pages, the Mark II ships with DCU v5.80 on the CD. The most recent version on the support websites is v5.72
04-08-2018, 01:52 AM   #88
Forum Member

Are these handhled PSR pictures really sharper than what I could get just manually stacking pictures in PP?
They are really sharp, and with a lot of details. I still have to find out how better it is but my first impression is very promising.

---------- Post added 04-08-2018 at 10:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
I tried the Digital Camera Utility but I didn't see the different photos in the DNG pixel shift file. Maybe I didn't find them?
04-08-2018, 03:50 AM   #89
Pentaxian

All 4 images are embedded in a single file. You should be able to use Rawtherapee to access the individual files.
Hmm... could you share one of your Dynamic Pixel Shift RAWs? I'd like to take a look.
04-08-2018, 05:18 AM   #90
Pentaxian

All 4 images are embedded in a single file. You should be able to use Rawtherapee to access the individual files.

Hmm... could you share one of your Dynamic Pixel Shift RAWs? I'd like to take a look.
Also share the DCU 5.8.